What languages do you know?

English and Spanish in High School and college. I'd love to learn Russian, but it is hard carving an hour out of every day. I studied the pronunciation in an old book and have purchased the Russian Rosetta Stone. Every since I was a kid I was fascinated by the Russian language. Should I try to pick it up in my 40's?
Gitccha ona these and you'll be moaning in Russian in a jiffy !
Amazing russian wife

Spanish, Chinese, maybe German? And how fluent are you in them?

I can make do in German, have a bit of Russian, and can make small talk in Swahili. My wife is French, so that's her first language.

1. My only language is American English. I try to observe proper grammar. For example, I say "It's I," not "me." And I hope that I NEVER say something like "Me and my friend are going to a baseball game."

You'd like Russian with its 6 cases :)

German with 4 is bad enough. Though I just used to ignore them most of the time, and you'd get away with it.

English and Spanish in High School and college. I'd love to learn Russian, but it is hard carving an hour out of every day. I studied the pronunciation in an old book and have purchased the Russian Rosetta Stone. Every since I was a kid I was fascinated by the Russian language. Should I try to pick it up in my 40's?

My father started to learn Latin and ancient Greek in his 60s.

I speak English and hillbilly.
If the person I'm speaking with is completely deaf, I can speak Spanish pretty terribly as well.

Why not? But it's not a simple language :) You don't say 'a black car' and 'a black table', but 'chern-aya mashina' and 'chern-iy stol' since every word has a gender and you should know it every time :)

Isn't "me" proper when you are the object of the sentence? ie "it's me" is correct, not "It's I".

Yes, you are 100% correct: in the real world,. English speakers say "me."

A few native speakers still try to observe the old-fashioned rule.

It = subject.

is = linking verb. It is the same as equal marks.

Therefore, it means something like: It = I. (Or: I = it.)

Nowadays, if you say "It is I / he / she / we / they.," some people think that you are being snobbish.

And a lot of people think that you are speaking "bad" English, for they do not know the rule.

Have a nice day!

New Topics

Forum List

Back