What is Up with Atheists?

BluePhantom

Educator (of liberals)
Nov 11, 2011
Portland, OR / Salem, OR
So as many of you know I was recently in a car wreck and totaled my vehicle. So until I get all that sorted out I have been taking the bus to work which is actually kind of nice in a way....although you see some strange people on the bus and all this walking has made me lose about 20 pounds...which means I am suddenly hot again. :lol:

Anyhow....

The bus ride is about 30 minutes and I thought 'instead of just staring out the window on my way to and from work I can spend that time reading the Bible thereby starting and finishing my day with some scripture'. So yesterday I am sitting there minding my own business, reading some scripture and this person on the bus huffs really loudly. I look up and glance at her, not really knowing (nor caring) what she was huffing about and go back to my reading. Then she finally says to me.

"Can you PLEASE stop that?"

I was a bit puzzled and asked what I was doing that was the problem and she insisted that it was rude and offensive to be reading the Bible in public. I was really shocked and just said "pardon me?" and she starts going on a rant about us religious people shoving religion down everyone's throats and how I was forcing my views on the whole bus.

I said "Ma'am, I am just sitting here minding my own business reading. I suggest you mind your own business as well and let me be"

Now here's the thing. I figured this was just some crazy bitch, but there were several people on the bus that agreed with her and joined in asking me to stop reading my Bible. They even asked the bus driver to kick me off the bus if I didn't put it away (which, of course, he refused to do).

So my question is....what the heck is it with atheists that they are so threatened by a guy sitting on a bus, minding his own business, quietly reading a Bible? How is that forcing my views on anyone or offensive to anyone?

A bus ride is a good place for some idiot to start spouting their crap. I wish I had a dollar for each time I was minding my own business when some overzealous bible thumper came up and asked me if I had found Jesus. I never knew he was lost.

Atheists are annoying bastids, I've never seen people that don't believe spend so much talking about what they don't believe

If that happened to me I would acknowledge how mundane and unimportant she was by ignoring everything she had to say and just pretending as if she were not there at all. If she touched me I would probably break her arm or her nose.

I think what I am trying to get at is that what has happened in our culture that simply reading a Bible is now offensive? Ok I live in Portland, Oregon...about the most liberal city in the world, but reading a Bible in public is now offensive? What the fuck liberals?

So as many of you know I was recently in a car wreck and totaled my vehicle. So until I get all that sorted out I have been taking the bus to work which is actually kind of nice in a way....although you see some strange people on the bus and all this walking has made me lose about 20 pounds...which means I am suddenly hot again. :lol:

Anyhow....

The bus ride is about 30 minutes and I thought 'instead of just staring out the window on my way to and from work I can spend that time reading the Bible thereby starting and finishing my day with some scripture'. So yesterday I am sitting there minding my own business, reading some scripture and this person on the bus huffs really loudly. I look up and glance at her, not really knowing (nor caring) what she was huffing about and go back to my reading. Then she finally says to me.

I was a bit puzzled and asked what I was doing that was the problem and she insisted that it was rude and offensive to be reading the Bible in public. I was really shocked and just said "pardon me?" and she starts going on a rant about us religious people shoving religion down everyone's throats and how I was forcing my views on the whole bus.

I said "Ma'am, I am just sitting here minding my own business reading. I suggest you mind your own business as well and let me be"

Now here's the thing. I figured this was just some crazy bitch, but there were several people on the bus that agreed with her and joined in asking me to stop reading my Bible. They even asked the bus driver to kick me off the bus if I didn't put it away (which, of course, he refused to do).

So my question is....what the heck is it with atheists that they are so threatened by a guy sitting on a bus, minding his own business, quietly reading a Bible? How is that forcing my views on anyone or offensive to anyone?

That is amazing. I would have had to read it out loud and warned them about eternity in hell - just to make sure they knew what happens to those who reject Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. I take my bible with me wherever I go. I carry it with me at restaurants, waiting rooms, the hospital waiting room, wherever I am. I also share the word of God and read it to people around me. I'm going to share the Word of God when I'm around people. I do not get out very much so when I do I make it count. The people I meet usually ask me to pray for them. I've never had anyone say they wanted me to stop reading the bible! That is wild, BP!

A bus ride is a good place for some idiot to start spouting their crap. I wish I had a dollar for each time I was minding my own business when some overzealous bible thumper came up and asked me if I had found Jesus. I never knew he was lost.

You wish you had a dollar for every time? That must mean that God has sent many laborers across your path to invite you to come to His Son. It's also a sign people are praying for you, Bulldog. What will you say to Jesus when he tells you that he sent his laborers to invite you to come to him but you refused? What excuse will you have then? Today is the day of salvation. You need to give your life to him tonight. Tomorrow is no guarantee. Today is the day of salvation.

Anyhow....

That is amazing. I would have had to read it out loud and warned them about eternity in hell - just to make sure they knew what happens to those who reject Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. I take my bible with me wherever I go. I carry it with me at restaurants, waiting rooms, the hospital waiting room, wherever I am. I also share the word of God and read it to people around me. I'm going to share the Word of God when I'm around people. I do not get out very much so when I do I make it count. The people I meet usually ask me to pray for them. I've never had anyone say they wanted me to stop reading the bible! That is wild, BP!

Well like I said I thought it was just some crazy woman with an issue. Ok I can deal with that. What surprised me was how many people on the bus agreed with her and claimed I was infringing on their rights because I was quietly reading my Bible. So reading the Bible in public now is offensive?

I think what I am trying to get at is that what has happened in our culture that simply reading a Bible is now offensive? Ok I live in Portland, Oregon...about the most liberal city in the world, but reading a Bible in public is now offensive? What the fuck liberals?

Don't be one of those people that categorizes every person as either "liberal" or "conservative".

So yesterday I am sitting there minding my own business, reading some scripture and this person on the bus huffs really loudly. I look up and glance at her, not really knowing (nor caring) what she was huffing about and go back to my reading. Then she finally says to me.

StephenA_zps27c9db32.png

Anyhow....

All I can say is that there are assholes everywhere.

Especially on public buses.

I am an atheist and I have no problem with whatever you are reading.

So clearly it is not an issue with atheists- it is an issue with assholes.

Anyhow....

Well like I said I thought it was just some crazy woman with an issue. Ok I can deal with that. What surprised me was how many people on the bus agreed with her and claimed I was infringing on their rights because I was quietly reading my Bible. So reading the Bible in public now is offensive?

There will always be some people who find something offensive.

Personally I have never once seen anyone object to anyone reading the Bible or the Koran or any other religious book on the bus or in public or anywhere else.

And this in the heart of atheism- San Francisco.

No reason for anyone to care what you were reading.

Don't be one of those people that categorizes every person as either "liberal" or "conservative".

Except that this is Portland, Oregon...one of the most liberal cities on the planet. I mean so liberal that Ravi would appear to be a DINO. I am Daniel in the lion's den. :lol: who else but a liberal would attack me for reading a Bible in public? Come on Goddess...it's a reasonable assumption

Anyhow....

What's up with you assuming you know what their intent is. They could be of another religion and your particular faith offends them.

Kristians, who ask for forgiveness, are the quickest to judge for some reason.

Anyhow....

There will always be some people who find something offensive.

Personally I have never once seen anyone object to anyone reading the Bible or the Koran or any other religious book on the bus or in public or anywhere else.

And this in the heart of atheism- San Francisco.

No reason for anyone to care what you were reading.

Well they cared enough to ask the bus driver to kick me off the bus for being offensive.

what if I was reading War and Peace....hell what if I was reading Penthouse? That wouldn't be a problem...but reading the Bible...that's offensive.

Two things I feel led to share with you, BP. First, while I do not believe it was the will of God that you suffered a coughing attack and totaled your car, I can see how God will use it for His glory. You are traveling on a bus every day and God is putting you around other people. It could be that He is desiring to use you to convict the hearts of others - by reading your bible on a public bus. It's strength to your own soul to defy the enemy and glorify God publicly. (We should all do it - it shakes off the fear of public opinion - fear of man) The enemy will use people to attempt to intimidate the believer - but intimidation cannot effect us if we have the armor of God on. So I believe the LORD is using you on that transit to and from work. You have no idea of the hearts God dealt with that day - people on that bus who knew Him but refused to speak up for you. I'm sure there was someone. Who knows that it wasn't the bus driver? Right? Okay so that is point one. And this is what the Holy Spirit gave me tonight for you - from William Gurnall.

This is written by William Gurnall - devotional - Christian in Complete Armor.

I'm writing it down from my own book but the Complete Devotional by Gurnall is available online - I will post a link for you -

Many Mock Righteousness -

Some men are so far from being holy themselves that they ridicule those who are. These think the breastplate of righteousness is so foolish that they laughingly point to the saint who wears it in his daily behavior: "Look! There goes the holy brother, one of the pure ones! But their mocking language does more than scorn the saint's holiness - it betrays the wickedness of their own hard hearts.

A further degree of ungodliness appears in mocking the holiness of another person rather than only harboring unholiness in oneself. How desperately wicked is that man who not only refuses to partake in the divine nature himself but cannot bear the sight of others, choosing to follow the holiness of Christ. The very hint of holiness works up such a strong opposition inside the person that it causes him to vomit out the gall and bitterness of his spirit against it.

- William Gurnall

There is more - if you are interested let me know and I can post it later - This was a small portion of August 6th devotional William Gurnall - Christian in Complete Armour.

William Gurnall -- The Christian in Complete Armour

Last edited:

Anyhow....

What's up with you assuming you know what their intent is. They could be of another religion and your particular faith offends them.

Ok you realize this is the United States where we have the freedom of religion and the freedom of speech. By the constitution I have the right to read my Bible in public. That is a constitutionally guaranteed right. They have the right to be offended. I have the right to tell them to shove it up their ass.

This is what it has come to? Reading a Bible in public is now offensive? What if it was the Book of Mao? I bet you liberals wouldn't have a problem reading that in public. What if it was the Communist Manifesto? I bet you wouldn't have a problem with someone reading that in public either. But reading the Bible in public? No let's kick him off the bus.

Anyhow....

Newton, you should read the Gurnall devotional clip I put up for BluePhantom. One word of warning for you. According to Gurnall people who are scorners and mockers of holiness rarely recover from it. It is one of the deadliest of diseases for the soul.

Forum List

Back