What is this thing called, "Affordable Housing" and why is it my problem?

The local Urban Redevelopment Authority wishes to borrow tens of millions of dollars, so that it can promote the creation of "affordable" housing in the County. The loan will be repaid over time by the [taxpayers of the] City (Pittsburgh).

There is a national crisis going on, I am told, and I don't doubt it. The cost of housing keeps going up, while a large swath of the population - growing larger every day - lacks the monthly income to afford it. In a cornucopia of different ways and programs, the taxpayers (Federal, State, Local) are "asked" to contribute to resolving the problem. Residential real estate investors and developers are often told that they must include a percentage of "affordable" units in their proposed developments, to the extent that that requirement often renders the developments un-viable, and they are abandoned or cancelled.

But what would the current situation be if government were completely removed from the housing "equation"?

Imagine a world in which children grow up in a household knowing that in order for them to become "emancipated adults," they will have to have sufficient income to pay rent, utilities, and living expenses on their own. There is no Uncle Sugar who will set them up with food stamps, subsidized housing, welfare payments, MEDICAID, and provide for whatever else one might need to be emancipated from one's parents. Having an illegitimate child will not create a new "household" in and of itself; you would be on your own, with whatever support you could get from family, friends, church, whatever.

Owners of residential investment property would then have a smaller target market, and rents would rise only when there is a population that can afford to pay them.

"Middle Class" and "Working Class" people already live in that world, believe it or not. This is why so many of today's Yoots are remaining in their parents' households until they are well into their twenties and beyond. This may be said to be a "problem," but I as a taxpayer don't have to concern myself with it. In short, it is an expensive proposition to go out on your own today, and this generation is having to wait a decade longer than, say, the Boomers did when they hit their 20's.

It has been observed by people smarter than me that college tuition costs (and college housing costs) are rising much faster than the rate of inflation because the States and Feds are facilitating the payment of these outrageous amounts through grants and loans, without regard to whether the outlays are rational economically. Hence the trillion-dollar student loan "crisis."

The same principle has made it mark on housing costs at the bottom level. There are so many subsidies available that landlords feel free charging inordinate amounts for their units. In fact, millions of Americans have recently experienced substantial increases in their rents when the landlords' costs have barely risen at all. But this is all facilitated by government subsidies at the bottom level.

Why are taxpayers hit with subsidizing the cost of housing for people who have rejected the middle-class values that they themselves live by? If you cannot afford to be economically emancipated, then stay at home, don't have babies, and stop looking to Uncle Sugar to bail you out.

Problem solved.
You have a problem with "asked" citizens to contribute to resolving problems?

Wow!.

The local Urban Redevelopment Authority wishes to borrow tens of millions of dollars, so that it can promote the creation of "affordable" housing in the County. The loan will be repaid over time by the [taxpayers of the] City (Pittsburgh).

There is a national crisis going on, I am told, and I don't doubt it. The cost of housing keeps going up, while a large swath of the population - growing larger every day - lacks the monthly income to afford it. In a cornucopia of different ways and programs, the taxpayers (Federal, State, Local) are "asked" to contribute to resolving the problem. Residential real estate investors and developers are often told that they must include a percentage of "affordable" units in their proposed developments, to the extent that that requirement often renders the developments un-viable, and they are abandoned or cancelled.

But what would the current situation be if government were completely removed from the housing "equation"?

Imagine a world in which children grow up in a household knowing that in order for them to become "emancipated adults," they will have to have sufficient income to pay rent, utilities, and living expenses on their own. There is no Uncle Sugar who will set them up with food stamps, subsidized housing, welfare payments, MEDICAID, and provide for whatever else one might need to be emancipated from one's parents. Having an illegitimate child will not create a new "household" in and of itself; you would be on your own, with whatever support you could get from family, friends, church, whatever.

Owners of residential investment property would then have a smaller target market, and rents would rise only when there is a population that can afford to pay them.

"Middle Class" and "Working Class" people already live in that world, believe it or not. This is why so many of today's Yoots are remaining in their parents' households until they are well into their twenties and beyond. This may be said to be a "problem," but I as a taxpayer don't have to concern myself with it. In short, it is an expensive proposition to go out on your own today, and this generation is having to wait a decade longer than, say, the Boomers did when they hit their 20's.

It has been observed by people smarter than me that college tuition costs (and college housing costs) are rising much faster than the rate of inflation because the States and Feds are facilitating the payment of these outrageous amounts through grants and loans, without regard to whether the outlays are rational economically. Hence the trillion-dollar student loan "crisis."

The same principle has made it mark on housing costs at the bottom level. There are so many subsidies available that landlords feel free charging inordinate amounts for their units. In fact, millions of Americans have recently experienced substantial increases in their rents when the landlords' costs have barely risen at all. But this is all facilitated by government subsidies at the bottom level.

Why are taxpayers hit with subsidizing the cost of housing for people who have rejected the middle-class values that they themselves live by? If you cannot afford to be economically emancipated, then stay at home, don't have babies, and stop looking to Uncle Sugar to bail you out.

Problem solved.
Seniors, Disabled and Veterans get those subsides. Why do you hate them?

Judges are landlords as well ... why landlords always win in court ... professional courtesy ... the lesson is buy rental units ... I used my own children as collateral ...
I always won in court, but to date haven't received a penny of back rent owed me. Most landlord don't either so it's a hollow victory.

I always won in court, but to date haven't received a penny of back rent owed me. Most landlord don't either so it's a hollow victory.

I always kept enough security deposit on hand to cover lost rent ... or just charge more rent to cover the losses ... what didn't get covered is the top-quality repair work ... but that was my investment, spend the money now and the repair will last a long long time ...

Like using $7 wall outlets instead of the 49¢ ones ... saves on fire repairs ...

They are just returning to the liberal ideas of the past- the desire is to warehouse the black people back into the projects.

They'll do it "right" this time, and they won't end up like New Jack City.

Has anyone noticed a bank program that gives $10,000 grants for home down payment?

I suspect that is putting unqualified buyers into homes they cannot afford and will probably default on

Not everyone but more than a few just like in 2006

And enough to send the economy crashing down again

Has anyone noticed a bank program that gives $10,000 grants for home down payment?

I suspect that is putting unqualified buyers into homes they cannot afford and will probably default on

Not everyone but more than a few just like in 2006

And enough to send the economy crashing down again

I sure hope landlords still have enough money to buy up these distressed properties ... it was more like 2008 when the rental market tightened up, and 50% increases in rents in 2009 ... [ka'ching] ... we can only hope that happens again ...

I always kept enough security deposit on hand to cover lost rent ... or just charge more rent to cover the losses ... what didn't get covered is the top-quality repair work ... but that was my investment, spend the money now and the repair will last a long long time ...

Like using $7 wall outlets instead of the 49¢ ones ... saves on fire repairs ...
I always upgraded my apartments when vacant but kept rents low. My tenants loved living there and stayed for years. My occupancy rate was 96-97 percent over the 18 years that I owned the property.

I always upgraded my apartments when vacant but kept rents low. My tenants loved living there and stayed for years. My occupancy rate was 96-97 percent over the 18 years that I owned the property.

Right ... we can entrap our tenants by keeping rents down ... I tried to never raise rents on existing tenancies ... so by 2008, I had some paying below market rates even for the dumps I owned ... "Felony Flats" indeed ... especially the elder widow wimin were absolutely stuck renting from me ... they couldn't afford anywhere else ...

All they got in return was 24/7 abuse for meth ... Good God alone knows how I hate that stuff ...

There were limits to the upgrades I could do ... the buildings were poorly built to begin with and heavily abused by renters ... the story I heard was the builder did jail time for shooting the county inspector ... the inspector was right, incense cedar is non-structural, all the roofs and floors sagged in the middle ...

Last edited:
I sure hope landlords still have enough money to buy up these distressed properties ... it was more like 2008 when the rental market tightened up, and 50% increases in rents in 2009 ... [ka'ching] ... we can only hope that happens again ...
I hope we dont have another Great Recession

Once in a lifetime is enough

BUt who knows?

The WWII generation learned from the Great Depression and never made those mistakes again

But the Baby Boomers are no more than a pimple on the Greatest Generation’s ass and may have learned nothing from 2008

I hope we dont have another Great Recession

Once in a lifetime is enough

BUt who knows?

The WWII generation learned from the Great Depression and never made those mistakes again

But the Baby Boomers are no more than a pimple on the Greatest Generation’s ass and may have learned nothing from 2008

I learned my lesson when mortgage interest rates were over 15% ... 1970's ...

There's a place for low-income rental housing in everybody's portfolio ... come recession, and recession always comes, people look to cut housing expenses by downgrading the unit they rent ... [ka'ching] ... I was being flooded with rental applications in 2008 through at least 2012 ... literally learned of a tenant moving when 20 people show up at my front door asking to rent the soon-to-be empty unit ... [ka'ching ka'ching ka'ching] ...

The Great Recession is why I retired ten years earlier than planned ...

I wish there was a way to build new cities but I guess location is everything. There has to be the resources to provide water and electricity to the “new city”. I guess all the good locations have been taken due to their proximity to natural resources mainly running rivers I guess. When I look at a map of Kansas I see nothing but potential for new cities because tons of interstate runs through there. I just don’t know how easy it is to produce electricity and running water. If people leave established cities in droves then that softens up the market in those established cities.

Forum List

Back