What is the oldest appliance that you own?

JOSweetHeart

Gold Member
Jun 27, 2012
East Tennessee
Granted that it is still doing good for you of course. I have a 13 inch Sharp TV/VCR in my bedroom that I bought in 1997 and its still going for me after all of these years. Three years ago, I got a new clothes dryer and the dryer that it was replacing had only then just quit after being bought in the mid 1970's, so it lasted about 37 years! It was a General Electric clothes dryer.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Over the weekend, a new TV was bought for my living room. The one that is being replaced was purchased in either 2002, 2003, or 2004, so I got just over ten years out of it. It was a 27 inch Sylvania TV. Are things not made as good as they used to be made anymore?

What a great question. I bet Bonzi is jealous. ;)

Depends on what you mean by "appliance" but I do have a juicer from the early '70s and still use it every day. And yes, things are definitely not made like they used to be.

I used to have the old tape recorder that belonged to my Dad that I grew up with, from the early '50s. But it got drowned in 8 feet of Katrina water. I have a working Sansui stereo receiver, probably about 40 years old.

Beyond that, I have an old -style (crank) coffee grinder that I got at a flea market in Ohio, but that's just for backup if the power goes out.

A little brown vintage Kodak camera.

I bought it in an antique place

I was over at my Aunts house and she gave me an old shoe box with Papa's old stuff in it.....One item was the Miracle ear 2000..He was little hard of hearing, and it still works.. He passed in 1991 so it is from the eighties..

I have two vintage stereo consoles. One looks like this...

images

They both work.

instruments.jpg
instruments.jpg
've got a Hammond organ from .... looks like the '70s. a violin from 1925 and several strange instruments about 100 years old, but the latter are not all in good repair, they're more a project.

instruments.jpg
instruments.jpg
I​

Last edited:
I don't claim to have ownership of all great questions.
I hope I am an inspiration to some <grin>

My oldest appliance is probably my fridge. It is in desperate need of replacing.

My oldest appliance is probably my fridge. It is in desperate need of replacing.

I never pegged you for a fridge-id woman.

What is the oldest thing that you have that is still doing well?

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. You may not have started every good chat, but you have started several of them that I think were really good. :) :) :)

A Cylinder Phonograph and a 20 gallon copper pot still. Both work.

I have several appliances from the 50's.

A GE oscillating fan.

A Voice of Music reel to reel tape recorder/50 watt amplifier. I use it as a guitar amp.

I have 2 GE refridgerators from the 1950s. They still work great. I use one of them to dry age beef and the other one to age cheese.

All them still work great because they were made before the era of planned obsolescense.

Forum List

Back