What is the most likely reason for the disproportionate number of blacks in pro sports?

Why are there more blacks in pro sports?

• Affirmative Action

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Physiological differences in the races

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
Blacks, on average, have more fast twitch muscle fibers and greater amounts of testosterone than whites.
Something as major as an additional pair of muscles would have required major evolutionary changes. Or a loss of a pair of muscles, since all humans evolved from a common ancestor. In order for black people to have "an extra muscle" from other human beings there would have to be fixed genetic differences between races.

Meaning a clear break

Indeed this seems like a speciation level difference to be frank, such as "Blacks" having a gene for X and no one else. This is absolutely clearly not the case. Not a shadow of a doubt.

Blacks, on average, have more fast twitch muscle fibers and greater amounts of testosterone than whites.
Something as major as an additional pair of muscles would have required major evolutionary changes. Or a loss of a pair of muscles, since all humans evolved from a common ancestor. In order for black people to have "an extra muscle" from other human beings there would have to be fixed genetic differences between races.

Meaning a clear break

Indeed this seems like a speciation level difference to be frank, such as "Blacks" having a gene for X and no one else. This is absolutely clearly not the case. Not a shadow of a doubt.

Having faster twitch muscles doesn't mean they have extra muscles. My God, go read a biology book.

Meaning a clear break

Having faster twitch muscles doesn't mean they have extra muscles. My God, go read a biology book.

Tell you what, you go read a biology book and find out the difference between fast twitch and slow twitch muscles. Then come back and we will talk.

Meaning a clear break

Tell you what, you go read a biology book and find out the difference between fast twitch and slow twitch muscles. Then come back and we will talk.

Um I was agreeing with you and laughing at the person who was suggesting that you were implying that blacks had extra muscles .

Meaning a clear break

Um I was agreeing with you and laughing at the person who was suggesting that you were implying that blacks had extra muscles .

My mistake. Sorry.

The same reason as the disproportionate black incarceration and violent crime rates.

Im surprised IM2 isnt in here making happy chimp noises about the "higher testosterone levels" thing because black dudes love to brag about their dicks

Blacks make up around 13% of the population in the US. However, roughly 70% of the athletes playing in the NFL are black.
But the NFL doesn't make up the entire body of professional sports which is why I asked. Does this 70% hold true across the board or only specific sports? Golf & tennis are considered sports, are blacks over represented in those sports as well?

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2
I was told bringing up racial differences is racist.
Todays version of racism is awfully confusing

Yes, I am sure some people think so. But some people also think the world is flat.
I think people take this racial divide thing way to seriously, I like, dislike , respect or don't respect other people based on their character and the strength of their convictions. I don't have many friends!!!

As we know there is no such thing as ‘race.’

What we perceive as ‘race’ is solely a human construct, a contrivance of society and culture, the consequence of fear and ignorance.

It’s the power of fear and ignorance in the context of society and culture – racism – that relegated black Americans to professions considered ‘appropriate,’ such as sports, having nothing to do with ‘race.’

• Thanks
Could you explain what you mean by dispproportionate?

There are some individuals who believe that relative population size of a given race should be directly proportionate to what percentage of the league the race makes up. So based on that "ASSumption", there are some who believe that the players should be 67% white and blacks should be 13%, and the fact that this is not the case, is representative of an "unequal outcome"......aka, "anti white discrimination".

The same individuals of course do not acknowledge that the team owners are nearly 100% white, and nearly 80% of head coaches, and front office personnel are also white, so blacks by the same set of standards are underrepresented in those areas.

The truth is that the NFL and NBA are two of the few professions where nepotism, favoritism, cronyism or racism does not play a part in who is drafted and who plays. On the field and the court it's all about performance.

Last edited:

What we perceive as ‘race’ is solely a human construct, a contrivance of society and culture, the consequence of fear and ignorance.

It’s the power of fear and ignorance in the context of society and culture – racism – that relegated black Americans to professions considered ‘appropriate,’ such as sports, having nothing to do with ‘race.’

If this is true, how do forensic scientists determine the race of human remains, long after the skin is gone?

I am not a white supremicist by any stretch, but the must be biological differences if race can be determined by means other than hair & skin.

If this is true, how do forensic scientists determine the race of human remains, long after the skin is gone?

I am not a white supremicist by any stretch, but the must be biological differences if race can be determined by means other than hair & skin.

Liberals are out of touch with reality.

You are saying that black people have a muscle that other races don't. Right ?

Well ok.

What's the name of this supposed muscle? What studies verified that blacks possess it more frequently?

This rumor is just "sour grapes" thing started by un-athletic white guys...you know..."we can't run as well as they can because they have an extra muscle" or some nonsense

Most muscles come in pairs, sort of opposing each other (one muscle to move your foot forward, another one to pull it backward)?

The idea of a "one muscle in each leg" is crazy and you know it. What happens to it after this "extra" muscle contracts? Makes this sound even more like some kind of a racist urban legend.

Most black athletes who grew up in poverty thrive in sports that feature modest equipment investment, high social/cultural approval, and fame and wealth in professional ranks.

That's why young urban black athletes who are strong in sports keep gravitatating to the same five: basketball, football, baseball, track & field and increasingly tennis.

The fundamentals of these sports can be learned at a very young age

Thousands of hours can be logged playing and practicing with your peers in the streets, and the rewards for top talent can be scouted and developed from middle school on. You just don't get the same community support or interest if you're black and happen to be good at ice hockey.

If there was big money and cultural approval in professional bowling, blacks would dominate that, too. Even within sports with the same basic athletic needs you see this difference. Many Olympic sprinters are black, but very few Olympic speed skaters are black. Blacks make up 85% of the NBA, but volleyball, which also requires tall, strong people who can jump really high, is not dominated by blacks.

But tell me if black people are naturally good at basketball then why don't African nations dominate international basketball comps ? They're blacker. Right ?

Well Nigeria, Chad, Kenya, Congo and the rest should be kicking ass at the Olympic tournament.

They don't. Why ?

Ice Hockey records are dominated by white Canadians and Americans from the northern Great Plains area. No doubt people from there have extra muscles in their feet that make the ice skates turn faster.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
You've picked an argument with the wrong person on this one.

Well ok.

What's the name of this supposed muscle? What studies verified that blacks possess it more frequently?

This rumor is just "sour grapes" thing started by un-athletic white guys...you know..."we can't run as well as they can because they have an extra muscle" or some nonsense

Most muscles come in pairs, sort of opposing each other (one muscle to move your foot forward, another one to pull it backward)?

The idea of a "one muscle in each leg" is crazy and you know it. What happens to it after this "extra" muscle contracts? Makes this sound even more like some kind of a racist urban legend.

Most black athletes who grew up in poverty thrive in sports that feature modest equipment investment, high social/cultural approval, and fame and wealth in professional ranks.

That's why young urban black athletes who are strong in sports keep gravitatating to the same five: basketball, football, baseball, track & field and increasingly tennis.

Thousands of hours can be logged playing and practicing with your peers in the streets, and the rewards for top talent can be scouted and developed from middle school on. You just don't get the same community support or interest if you're black and happen to be good at ice hockey.

If there was big money and cultural approval in professional bowling, blacks would dominate that, too. Even within sports with the same basic athletic needs you see this difference. Many Olympic sprinters are black, but very few Olympic speed skaters are black. Blacks make up 85% of the NBA, but volleyball, which also requires tall, strong people who can jump really high, is not dominated by blacks.

But tell me if black people are naturally good at basketball then why don't African nations dominate international basketball comps ?

Apart from black Americans black people are pretty poor at b-ball.

Black (as a group) are not good at basketball.

Ice Hockey records are dominated by white Canadians and Americans from the northern Great Plains area. No doubt people from there have extra muscles in their feet that make the ice skates turn faster.

No, I never said black people have an extra muscle. This is why I told you to go read a biology text.

Well ok.

But tell me if black people are naturally good at basketball then why don't African nations dominate international basketball comps ?

No, I never said black people have an extra muscle. This is why I told you to go read a biology text.
You're saying that black people have a muscle that others don't. That means extra.

Well ok.

You're saying that black people have a muscle that others don't. That means extra.

Once again, I did not say blacks have more muscles. Go back and reread what I actually said.

Forum List

Back