What Is The Meaning and/or Purpose Of Life To An Atheist?

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
In a response or complementary, rather, to chess' great thread...http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/165908-what-is-death-to-an-ahteist.html

I'm curious to know from atheists, what is their understanding of the meaning and/or purpose of life?

I image that the majority of atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory, or some version thereof...which in essence states that we are all here by chance, some happenstance of a big bang that somehow ended up creating life from some amoeba or similar form that resulted in us, humans beings at the end/top of the food chain.

Along with that theory, the world is millions of years old, I just read someone's post in the other thread using "eons." Which raises another question of, why are we, humans, so lucky? How is it that we are on this planet for "eons" and we haven't had a catastrophic event, such as a meteor that obliterates this planet? Why hasn't it happened as yet? What's stopping it from happening? That seems to be quite a lot of luck to just end up being living beings, as we are, AND not having massively catastrophic event occur like that. No?

Anyway, back to the original premise...what's the meaning of life....if we are all here by some chance?

Last edited:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JKvJaJKPPk&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Monty Python Crackpot Religions LTD‬‏[/ame]

The meaning of my life is for me to decide.

It can be as base or as noble as I want it to be.

First serious answer to-date.

However, I'd like you to expound.

What actually IS the meaning and/or purpose of life as you see it?

To survive and reproduce.

If I can make my life fulfilling and enjoyable along the way, that's just frosting on the cake.

In a response or complementary, rather, to chess' great thread...http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/165908-what-is-death-to-an-ahteist.html

I'm curious to know from atheists, what is their understanding of the meaning and/or purpose of life?

I image that the majority of atheists believe in the Big Bang Theory, or some version thereof...which in essence states that we are all here by chance, some happenstance of a big bang that somehow ended up creating life from some amoeba or similar form that resulted in us, humans beings at the end/top of the food chain.

Along with that theory, the world is millions of years old, I just read someone's post in the other thread using "eons." Which raises another question of, why are we, humans, so lucky? How is it that we are on this planet for "eons" and we haven't had a catastrophic event, such as a meteor that obliterates this planet? Why hasn't it happened as yet? What's stopping it from happening? That seems to be quite a lot of luck to just end up being living beings, as we are, AND not having massively catastrophic event occur like that. No?

Anyway, back to the original premise...what's the meaning of life....if we are all here by some chance?

The meaning of life to me is to breed and die.

Sorry bout that,

1. Ask Huggy, he says we are being born to make worm food.
2. We are very nutritious he claims.
3. And there is no point to life, seeing we are randomly here, chance taking its course.:eusa_whistle:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

The meaning of life is to learn.

For me that is what I have chosen by thinking about mans journey.

Humans are pack animals and we survived and multiplied by helping each other survive and multiply.

The more we learned the better we survived and multiplied.

Mans brain has developed over human exsistsance for greater capacity for learning.

We even learned how to pass on what we learned to people we would never meet by inventing writing.

Learn, please learn.

Just one thing...

CitySlickers640-4.jpg

Curly: One thing. Just one thing. You stick to that and the rest don't mean shit.
Mitch: But, what is the "one thing?"
Curly: [smiles] That's what *you* have to find out.

Last edited:
The meaning of my life is for me to decide.

It can be as base or as noble as I want it to be.

First serious answer to-date.

However, I'd like you to expound.

What actually IS the meaning and/or purpose of life as you see it?

It just is. Does there have to be a great overlaying purpose or meaning?
Is everything a great conspiracy?

It just is folks, enjoy it or hate it your choice.

I think therefore I am.

The only thing about "just enjoy" is many have a very hard time realising what brings them joy.

Learning how to enjoy involves learning.

Do you seek short term pleasure of true joy?

The path to true human joy involves learning to love people.

Without learning to love people you deny the true makeup of what it means to be human.

How can you have true joy in your life if you deny what it means to be a human being.

We are pack animals and need each other to achieved real enjoyment of life.

Love your fellow man and seek their joy because if your pack is joyless then your life will be joyless.

True human enjoyment is inextricably tied to your fellow man.

Forum List

Back