What is government?

Government should be a direct representation of the mindset of the majority of people in a group state or nation.

the term, at least according to webster, originates in the 14th century. seems me that the term is a western word for certain conduct or behavior that controls people's lives as government is derived from govern. the degree of that control of course being the debate of the ages.

government, to me, is simply that person, body, organization etc....that controls your life.

the term, at least according to webster, originates in the 14th century. seems me that the term is a western word for certain conduct or behavior that controls people's lives as government is derived from govern. the degree of that control of course being the debate of the ages.

government, to me, is simply that person, body, organization etc....that controls your life.

I like how you gave us the origin date from Webster's, but didn't bother to give us the definition from there. I'll do it.

Of the several provided, this is the one most closely relating to this topic:

The organization, machinery, or agency through which a political unit exercises authority and performs functions and which is usually classified according to the distribution of power within it.

To put it another way, government is the active arm by which the community performs functions that must take place collectively, whether that community be the city, the state, or the nation.

Last edited:
A government is nothing more than an organization that holds political and legal power over a certain geographic area.

I like how gave us the origin date from Webster's, but didn't bother to give us the definition from there. I'll do it.

The organization, machinery, or agency through which a political unit exercises authority and performs functions and which is usually classified according to the distribution of power within it.

To put it another way, government is the active arm by which the community performs functions that must take place collectively, whether that community be the city, the state, or the nation.

wow, did you like google it....or stuff....oh my gosh, wow...amazing

A government is nothing more than an organization that holds political and legal power over a certain geographic area.

interesting....

what if a "geographic" area is not confined to our planet? for thread/hypo purposes, star wars or star trek is real....what say you then?

......................or.........what if the g-o-d does truly exist?

interesting....

what if a "geographic" area is not confined to our planet? for thread/hypo purposes, star wars or star trek is real....what say you then?
I guess I'd have have to revise my definition to include interplanetary and interstellar locations as well. :razz:

I don't get it. :eusa_eh:

Government is the collective entity that attempts to provide some manner of control over a society so that either those in Government reap the benefits or so that the people reap the benefits.

Governments are required for any group over the size of a very small family. The smaller units are informal the larger are behemoths that do not even always know what all parts of said Government is doing.

A Government is a needed entity. Anyone that claims otherwise is a fool or anarchist.

interesting....

I guess I'd have have to revise my definition to include interplanetary and interstellar locations as well. :razz:

then what is god's government?

interesting....

then what is god's government?

The Christian God will rule the Human race through Jesus Christ as King with the 144000 summoned to Heaven as his assistants. This will occur after Satan and his evils are wiped from the earth and it is transformed into a paradise. Man will become semi immortal ( the Bible says Jesus will rule for a thousand years) with no death, disease or sickness.

You would have to ask Jews and Muslims and other religions about their beliefs.

I like how gave us the origin date from Webster's, but didn't bother to give us the definition from there. I'll do it.

wow, did you like google it....or stuff....oh my gosh, wow...amazing

Why would I have to Google it? I own a dictionary, nimrod. Don't you?

Forum List

Back