What is God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Amanda and editec, no pearly gates? No actual fire in hell with a devil with pitchfork?
The sound you just heard was the 2 of you being put on the rack.

The inquisition was crushed, so they'll be ok.

Really? Was it crushed? Sometimes I think the views expressed on forums sound like people WANT a new 'holy war'.

What I find amazing is that nobody has noticed that the Inquisition came about after hundreds of years of Islamic influence in Spain.

Really? Was it crushed? Sometimes I think the views expressed on forums sound like people WANT a new 'holy war'.

What I find amazing is that nobody has noticed that the Inquisition came about after hundreds of years of Islamic influence in Spain.
What I find amazing, or maybe not really so, is that Allie Baba wants to blame muslims for the Inquisition. :lol:

What are you blathering about now?

I don't judge anyone. But the bible specifically tells us not to water down the Word, and I won't just because some self-satisfied little nitwit tells me I should, to be warm and fuzzy.

Where the hell did you get the rest? As I said, you live in your own world. Where you got the idea I have respect for other Christians only because I have respect for traditions is about as garbled as anything I've seen, and I suspect you must have reading comprehension problems because I said absolutely nothing even remotely like that.

But I suspect it's more a combination of stupidity and lying - the better to mislead.

Honey, you aren't smart enough to pull it off.

You're judging me in this very post. You're inferring that I am stupid and that I lie.

Your own words say so.

THat's not judgment, that's an observation.

JUDGMENT would be to say, "People who lie and are stupid are trashy."

I most definitely didn't say that.

BTW, you're a hypocrite as well.

Thamks for your astute 'observation'. I am stupid, a liar and a hypocrite, but since you haven't called me trashy we're good.

LOL:lol:

What I find amazing, or maybe not really so, is that Allie Baba wants to blame muslims for the Inquisition. :lol:
We called that 'selective interpretation of history'. No big deal. Quite a few faiths are on Allie's hit list.

Buddhists, Muslims, and any other Christian faith that doesn't tow her narrow line of thinking.

Off with their heads. If anyone sounds like an extremist with the potential for war it's Allie Babba and her forty sleeves--very militant sounding 'christian.

Last edited:
We called that 'selective interpretation of history'. No big deal. Quite a few faiths are on Allie's hit list.

Buddhists, Muslims, and any other Christian faith that doesn't tow her narrow line of thinking.

Off with their heads. If anyone sounds like an extremist with the potential for war it's Allie Babba and her forty sleeves--very militant sounding 'christian.

Thankfully the militant ones are a minority in the world, and their numbers decrease each day since fewer are willing to lower themselves to the level of terrorists in the ME.

Thankfully the militant ones are a minority in the world, and their numbers decrease each day since fewer are willing to lower themselves to the level of terrorists in the ME.

First comes the rhetoric, then comes the actions. There is nothing holy about war.

So Amanda and editec, no pearly gates? No actual fire in hell with a devil with pitchfork?
The sound you just heard was the 2 of you being put on the rack.

Really? Was it crushed? Sometimes I think the views expressed on forums sound like people WANT a new 'holy war'. The current pope once served as "chief inquisitor" or 'enforcer of the faith' for the RCC.

I think they'd have a harder time of it in current times. Some people do, there is a political front parading as the religious right in the US crusading for it, trying to claim victim status to bolster that crusade, but they really aren't gaining so much ground. They are, in fact, losing credibility because of the shrillness of their tone. Add to that, they are dying. Literally, the younger generations are less tolerant of intolerant attitudes coded into civil law, and there are less and less daily alive left to advocate for special privilege granted to one version of religion over all others.

Make no mistake, privilege is what is at stake in the so-called culture wars, the established order over all others. It is also a war of attrition:
attrition - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
4: a reduction in numbers usually as a result of resignation, retirement, or death <a company with a high rate of attrition>

and there is only one more generation holding out before the views they promote are not only the minority, but actively held to be the sad assed grasp for power that they actually are.

Oh pu-leeeeeze. It was a trade war dressed up in holy skirts.

Masked even further as a quest to "reclaim holy relics" ... which were all mythical in the first place.

I heard someone describe god as "a wish that your mind makes at its weakest moment".

First comes the rhetoric, then comes the actions. There is nothing holy about war.

You don't read the Bible much do you? Fact is God himself commanded Israel to go to war. One could argue that God introduced Israel to war so that they would be less fearful of war. He would be with them in battle. Had they not seen God destroy Egypt's army (in reference to the Red Sea, where God miraculously drowned the entire Egyptian army that Pharaoh had sent to reenslave Israel )? With faith in God, Israel would conquer her enemies. From this perspective, the knowledge and experience Israel gained in fighting Amalek would be invaluable preparation for Israel's coming invasion of the Promised Land.

So I'd argue there is a holiness in certain wars.

You don't read the Bible much do you? Fact is God himself commanded Israel to go to war. One could argue that God introduced Israel to war so that they would be less fearful of war. He would be with them in battle. Had they not seen God destroy Egypt's army (in reference to the Red Sea, where God miraculously drowned the entire Egyptian army that Pharaoh had sent to reenslave Israel )? With faith in God, Israel would conquer her enemies. From this perspective, the knowledge and experience Israel gained in fighting Amalek would be invaluable preparation for Israel's coming invasion of the Promised Land.

I would argue that killing in the name of God is blashphemy. It breaks the commandment 'do not kill'. I reiterate that there is nothing holy about war.

I would argue that killing in the name of God is blashphemy. It breaks the commandment 'do not kill'. I reiterate that there is nothing holy about war.

The actual commandment is 'Thou Shalt Not Murder'... big difference

When I was growing up, I was taught that the commandment was 'thou shalt not kill'. Killing in the name of God is what some of the terrorists are doing.

I think using scripture to jusitfy war in flat out wrong.

There is nothing holy about real war.

Holy war is striclty an internal experience. The true meaning of jihad, is resolving the spiritual conflict within your own heart and mind.

This is a mystical interpretation, not a narrow fundamentalist interpretation I use.

Is it a sin to steal? If so, then imagine your wife facing a painful death. A greedy chemist invented cure but the price tag for the cure is more than you can afford and no one will help you. Would you steal the cure?

The Bible has a lot of advice but I don&#8217;t believe in absolutes. The commandments are general principles.

Last edited:
Is it a sin to steal? If so, then imagine your wife facing a painful death. A greedy chemist invented cure but the price tag for the cure is more than you can afford and no one will help you. Would you steal the cure?

is there a point lurking in here somewhere?

anyone? buehler?

God is a man. With eyes, ears, nose and mouth. Hands, feet and all the very same body parts as a natural man. Flesh over bone the same way. Except he doesn't have blood coursing through his veins. Blood is the fluid for this life. The veins will be quickened by the individual spirit in the next life.

God has a personality, passions and feelings the same as we do. The difference is that he is perfect and immortal.
There I have opened the floodgates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back