What is currently holding YOU back from success???

College is more expensive. Because demand skyrocketed. Supply vs demand. Same with healthcare.

Eat healthy and workout. Dont be fat. That solves so many healthcare problems.

Education? Degrees are worth so much less these days. It's often times NOT SMART to take out a 40K loan for a worthless degree.
Tech or community college, while not nearly as "cool" or "fun", may often be a better choice than a 4 year liberal arts (party time) school. But people CHOOSE that route for some reason (wanna have fun, drink, etc).

I just dont see the things that are blocking success. I see hard work. Of course. But no walls.

I disagree. While I agree any degree in liberal arts is worthless...I have 4-year degree and got a much better job when I got out than my friends who didn't go to college. I also left college owing exactly $0. Mainly because I ran my own business while going to school. It's called not be lazy. People from all works of life don't work: and when somebody isn't working as hard as they can-there's 10 people out there who are.

Pardon me. You went to college for four years, and you think "It's called 'not be lazy'" is a proper sentence?

Where's your evidence that MOST people are failing to achieve success.

And please define your idea of success.

Success is a middle-class lifestyle: the ability to own your own home, raise a family, and have plenty of leisure time while doing it. Currently, that would require at least a $75,000 income on one salary, to achieve the kind of success my father did in the 1950s and 1960s.

The evidence that most people are failing to achieve that is easily available. Do you really need it linked?

Face it... things change... things are not supposed to be easy...

But for those who already have wealth, they ARE easy, easier than they have ever been, even while they're harder for everyone else. That's what makes claims like this so totally without credibility.

and quite frankly, everything you are complaining about is a bar that you wish to hurdle...

Quite frankly, you are talking out your ass. You don't know me. You don't know my circumstances. You are jumping to conclusions, and all you are really demonstrating is that you are a very selfish, self-centered person, because you can't even imagine anyone believing that things are unfair in this society unless it's for selfish reasons.

He who is complaining about someone else having it easy (when it is not easy to earn the big $$, unless you are a damn lottery winner) when he does not, is calling someone else selfish??

You, are the one with no credibility

Success is a middle-class lifestyle: the ability to own your own home, raise a family, and have plenty of leisure time while doing it. Currently, that would require at least a $75,000 income on one salary, to achieve the kind of success my father did in the 1950s and 1960s.

The evidence that most people are failing to achieve that is easily available. Do you really need it linked?

I would like to know how you came to the $75,000 figure that defines success.

So yes, a link would be helpful.

I would like to know how you came to the $75,000 figure that defines success.

So yes, a link would be helpful.
For sure. All these people that banter about this and that figure...why those figures? If you work hard, study...be good at what you do? You can command what you wish...this still is America despite Obama, the Statist left and moochers trying to bring it down.

Maybe they have the Maynard G. Krebs syndrome...afraid of work!:eek:

Bob_Denver_Beatnik_DobyGillis_Mayna.jpg

Face it... things change... things are not supposed to be easy...

But for those who already have wealth, they ARE easy, easier than they have ever been, even while they're harder for everyone else. That's what makes claims like this so totally without credibility.

and quite frankly, everything you are complaining about is a bar that you wish to hurdle...

Quite frankly, you are talking out your ass. You don't know me. You don't know my circumstances. You are jumping to conclusions, and all you are really demonstrating is that you are a very selfish, self-centered person, because you can't even imagine anyone believing that things are unfair in this society unless it's for selfish reasons.

He who is complaining about someone else having it easy (when it is not easy to earn the big $$, unless you are a damn lottery winner) when he does not, is calling someone else selfish??

You, are the one with no credibility
What do you expect from a moocher?

How do you know I'm talking about "someone else"? I might very well be talking about myself in that category.

The point is that you don't know jack-shit about me, and you should quit pretending you do.

The other point is that you can't say "things are tough for everyone," when they're obviously not.

Look, nobody (except you, apparently) is talking about being able to achieve success without working for it. But the problem here is that we've got an implicit promise that anyone who DOES work for it can achieve it, and that's just not true. It's not true any more than if you play by the rules and work hard you will achieve a solid middle-class income and lifestyle. And that's what's wrong in our society today.

How do you know I'm talking about "someone else"? I might very well be talking about myself in that category.

The point is that you don't know jack-shit about me, and you should quit pretending you do.

The other point is that you can't say "things are tough for everyone," when they're obviously not.

Look, nobody (except you, apparently) is talking about being able to achieve success without working for it. But the problem here is that we've got an implicit promise that anyone who DOES work for it can achieve it, and that's just not true. It's not true any more than if you play by the rules and work hard you will achieve a solid middle-class income and lifestyle. And that's what's wrong in our society today.

Horse shit. Who's paying YOU to be here? You're a paid shill, aren't you?

Sorry, but anyone who works 80hr./wk for decades has already failed unless they really love the work they are doing. People who measure success by dollars and cents are the real American poor.

And now we're getting to the root of the debate.

Should a middle class income be GUARANTEED as a result of hard work? Janitors work hard. So do ditch diggers. Should they be paid $75,000 a year? Cops avg about 40K a year. Teachers and firemen too. They love their jobs anyway and seem to live nice lives.

To have FREEDOM also means risking the chance of failing. We can do whatever we want.

But if one chooses to pursue a life as an artist, or blogger, or rapper, or basketball player, and fails, don't cry to everyone else at age 35 when you aren't earning 75K a year working at Subway.

We are free. We are free to choose our path to a career. To guarantee and outcome is to remove freedom.

Should a middle class income be GUARANTEED as a result of hard work? Janitors work hard. So do ditch diggers. Should they be paid $75,000 a year? Cops avg about 40K a year. Teachers and firemen too. They love their jobs anyway and seem to live nice lives.

To have FREEDOM also means risking the chance of failing. We can do whatever we want.

But if one chooses to pursue a life as an artist, or blogger, or rapper, or basketball player, and fails, don't cry to everyone else at age 35 when you aren't earning 75K a year working at Subway.

We are free. We are free to choose our path to a career. To guarantee and outcome is to remove freedom.
Correct. And if you screw up...fall? Why cry foul and demand Government make it all better?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Franklin

A little sweat equity...a little work goes a long way and the only intrusion required is that of yourself and self-determination.

Ok. This thread produced about what I expected.

Some lefties saying it's none of my business why they aren't "succeeding", some saying success is measured right at around $75,000. Some saying the bar has been set simply too high (aka, "it's too hard!!").

But overall, NOTHING concrete that is stopping ANYONE from succeeding, except self inflicted obstacles.

Since when is an income truly "guaranteed"? that's the problem. People expect everything to be guarenteed when that's simply impossible in life.

ok. This thread produced about what i expected.

Some lefties saying it's none of my business why they aren't "succeeding", some saying success is measured right at around $75,000. Some saying the bar has been set simply too high (aka, "it's too hard!!").

But overall, nothing concrete that is stopping anyone from succeeding, except self inflicted obstacles.

*bingo*

Since when is an income truly "guaranteed"? that's the problem. People expect everything to be guarenteed when that's simply impossible in life.
Only thing guaranteed in life is DEATH, and taxes.

For you to make a living wage, or get your fair share, or get a good job, or just get whatever it is you think is fair in life, what is stopping you right now?

- Is it lack of education? Colleges are accepting people.
- Lack of a job? Dominoes is hiring. Lots of people are hiring. But it'll be crappy work. However, even at Dominoes, you can make enough to get by and even pay for community college to learn a trade you can use to work.
- Is it a criminal record? Oops. Your fault.
- Is it the refusal to take a job that you feel is below you? Drop the pride.
- Is it debt? Medical? College? Fair enough. Take two jobs. Pay it down. It's gonna suck, but it's possible. You may have to work 2 jobs, 80 hours a week. Wait tables. Bartend. Deliver papers.
- Is it simply pride? Are you too proud to take a crappy job?

I just can't understand how any American can NOT be earning at least $40,000 if they want to. It may require working two jobs, or one job and working in a bar or restaurant at night or weekends. I see the classifieds on Sundays. People are hiring. Willing to wash dishes? YOu can earn $20,000 a year doing that full time, and plenty are looking. Supplement that with a second job, like delivering pizzas at night, or bartending, or driving a cab, or ANY of the many jobs in the classifieds, and you'll probably earn between $30-40,000 before taxes. Get a roommate. Thats a 60-80K combined.

Maybe I"m just not seeing the point. Work is out there for the willing. People can get by. I know people who worked two jobs for a decade or so, in the 80's, 90's, 00's. It's been done for a long long time , until they met enough connections or got enough experience, or paid their way through tech school, to finally land that good job.

I'm just interested. WHAT is holding you or anyone you know back from earning a fair wage?

What's holding me back? Not being able to pay my workers Third World wages. We need to get rid of the minimum wage and all labor laws.

The market needs to be as free as possible, so that I can manufacture shoes at Honduran level wages. And that's being generous, because they still get paid better than the Indonesians.

Only thing guaranteed in life is DEATH, and taxes.

The second is optional if you're GE, Exxon, etc.

Forum List

Back