What is a "Minimum Standard of Living"?

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
IN another thread David-42 (his screen name indicates his IQ) proposed that the min wage should be enough to insure a "minimum standard of living that everyone agrees to." So I want to know, what is that standard? Is it a bedroom somewhere, a 1BR apartment, a pop up tent, a cell phone, a computer, working electricity, indoor plumbing, etc?
Please leave off discussions of whether that is even a reasonable standard for min wage. That's for another day For now, what is a minimum standard of living?

Please leave off discussions of whether that is even a reasonable standard for min wage. That's for another day For now, what is a minimum standard of living?

Hey, is not the first necessary to give validation to the second?

OK, I guess not starving to death? Or is not suffocating to death more of a minimum? Of course, a true minimum standard will have suffering of some form, so how about not willing to kill another human being for his flesh for food?

IN another thread David-42 (his screen name indicates his IQ) proposed that the min wage should be enough to insure a "minimum standard of living that everyone agrees to." So I want to know, what is that standard? Is it a bedroom somewhere, a 1BR apartment, a pop up tent, a cell phone, a computer, working electricity, indoor plumbing, etc?
your trailer got a hole in the roof?

Matthew nailed it. It's disgusting that we're one of the wealthiest countries on Earth and still argue over whether people are entitled to at least the bare minimum level of food, water, shelter, and medical care required for them not to die.

... I really hope you don't consider yourself a pro-life libertarian. That sort is the last we need...

Enough that when you work 8 hours a day/5 days per week you can afford a roof over your head, food to feed your family, wife and at least 2 kids.

Why not?
What size home?
What standard of food?
Those two could make a big difference, since some on food stamps eat better than I do.

Enough that when you work 8 hours a day/5 days per week you can afford a roof over your head, food to feed your family, wife and at least 2 kids.

Why not?
What about people who are single? People who are gay? People who are 18 years old?

Everyone should have a solid well built house with working plumbing , electricity etc.
All food should be inexpensive, nutritious and plentiful.
All wages should be high enough to cover these things.
Any thing more must be saved for.
Healthcare should be single payer.

Why not?

Good grief who want's that suck ass life living paycheck to paycheck that's some liberal thinking for you. I lived that life until I was 30 years old, voting for Democrats, earning too much for assistance, too little to get a head, driving used cars, renting, fuck that.

As a conservative the minimum standard of living in my opinion is enough to get married, have kids, buy a home, fund the kids college, buy a boat or RV, take vacations, fund personal growth e.g. hobbies, artistic desires, crafts, whatever, retire comfortably before you are too old to enjoy it, and do all this without going into debt up to your eyeballs. Hell yeah that's more like it.

Nobody wants the suck ass life liberals are selling, its way more fun to be a 2 percenter trust me on this.

Why not?

Good grief who want's that suck ass life living paycheck to paycheck that's some liberal thinking for you. I lived that life until I was 30 years old, voting for Democrats, earning too much for assistance, too little to get a head, driving used cars, renting, fuck that.

As a conservative the minimum standard of living in my opinion is enough to get married, have kids, buy a home, fund the kids college, buy a boat or RV, take vacations, fund personal growth e.g. hobbies, artistic desires, crafts, whatever, retire comfortably before you are too old to enjoy it, and do all this without going into debt up to your eyeballs. Hell yeah that's more like it.

Nobody wants the suck ass life liberals are selling, its way more fun to be a 2 percenter trust me on this.
Funny ,

I've done all that and more as a liberal.
Someone is over playing the importance of a political choice.

Why not?

Funny ,

Ah, the elite liberal class who throws the poor and middle class under the bus in favor of their retarded ideology.

Why not?

Funny ,

Ah, the elite liberal class who throws the poor and middle class under the bus in favor of their retarded ideology.
Nope that's you guys
In your " suck ass post you are doing the very same thing you claim is elitist.
Your contradiction is cronic.

My 19-year-old son worked at Taco Bell for nearly a year, and now will be working at a job where he helps people on the phone how to play the Playstation.

If a $15 minimum wage is imposed, it is probable that my son, and all his friends, will lose their jobs.

Liberals don't care. The more unemployed people, the better for them. They want to turn my son and their friends into wards of the state, with no hope of ever having a future.

My 19-year-old son worked at Taco Bell for nearly a year, and now will be working at a job where he helps people on the phone how to play the Playstation.

If a $15 minimum wage is imposed, it is probable that my son, and all his friends, will lose their jobs.

Liberals don't care. The more unemployed people, the better for them. They want to turn my son and their friends into wards of the state, with no hope of ever having a future.
Absolute bullshit.
Fun fact when it became mandatory for cars to have seat belts , automobile makers made the same kind of we're doomed noise you are.
They were wrong too.

`

Absolute bullshit.
Fun fact
You know nothing. All you are is a partisan attack dog.

`

Absolute bullshit.
Fun fact
False

`

Absolute bullshit.
Fun fact
False
Not being paranoid does not make me partisan.

Why should I have to live up to someone else's idea of minimum? Fuck that shit. To each his own.

Forum List

Back