What if there was a "cure"? Part 2

Amanda

Calm as a Hindu cow
Nov 28, 2008
From my conversations with the big guy (Gunny :lol:), i think I'm ok to start this up again. I think this is proof that the moderation on this board is fair and if you just talk with them before going nuts you can sometimes get things fixed without the drama.

So... can we please try to have this discussion again, but keep the focus on the possibilities and ethics of it and not your personal opinions about me and my motivation for starting the discussion? I would be very appreciative. :)

That said...

What if there were a medical solution for homosexuality? This could take many forms. Maybe it could cure an adult, or maybe it could be done pre-natally. Maybe it would only a short term fix and required ongoing therapy to make "stick". In any case what I'm talking about would be voluntary for an adult or at the discretion of a parent for a child.

So... would you be in favor of any or all of these methods and why or why not?

Discuss.

From my conversations with the big guy (Gunny :lol:), i think I'm ok to start this up again. I think this is proof that the moderation on this board is fair and if you just talk with them before going nuts you can sometimes get things fixed without the drama.

So... can we please try to have this discussion again, but keep the focus on the possibilities and ethics of it and not your personal opinions about me and my motivation for starting the discussion? I would be very appreciative. :)

That said...

What if there were a medical solution for homosexuality? This could take many forms. Maybe it could cure an adult, or maybe it could be done pre-natally. Maybe it would only a short term fix and required ongoing therapy to make "stick". In any case what I'm talking about would be voluntary for an adult or at the discretion of a parent for a child.

So... would you be in favor of any or all of these methods and why or why not?

Discuss.
People are free to do what they want. I Imagine there would be side effects though.

ted_haggard_110306_FRESH.jpg

^----- CURED

Some people are not happy to be gay. For them it is a problem. Some people don't like their noses, or their love handles or their natural hair color.

Logical Fallacies, from wikipedia….

”Loaded question”: (definition), also known as complex question, presupposition, or plurium interrogationum (Latin, "of many questions"), is an informal fallacy or logical fallacy.[1] It is committed when someone asks a question that presupposes something that has not been proven or accepted by all the people involved. This fallacy is often used rhetorically, so that the question limits direct replies to those that serve the questioner's agenda

It’s a completely hypothetical question, about something that doesn’t exist, and is likely to never exist.

If our medical scientists were ever allowed to used research money to “cure” gays, they should be fired and laughed out of their professions.

Medical research is supposed to be about finding cures to things that harm people. Being gay doesn’t harm anyone.

If you need an answer to this fantasy question, which has zero basis in reality, I think any human being has the right to take any pill they want to.

I wouldn't demand it banned if that's what you mean.
The research to make the cure should not be funded by taxpayer money and people should not be forced to take the cure.

Pre-natal though is where it gets complicated.

Should the mother get to make decisions like that for the child? What kind of road would this lead down? Is there any precedent for modifying your fetus so that it comes out the way you want it (barring medical problems)?

Although I doubt we'd have this miracle cure anytime soon.

If anything we'll have a cure for pedophilia first.

Think about the controversy that would arise if a private company announced development of a cure for gayness. Now think about the same company making a cure for pedophilia and the good press they'd get and what they'd be able to brag about.

'We're helping to eliminate the threat of grown adults coming to molest your children'. I'd be surprised if they haven't considered this yet.

Is there any precedent for modifying your fetus so that it comes out the way you want it (barring medical problems)?

Women modify fetuses every day....thousands of em.

I meant modifying one you intend to keep and you knew that.

How would you feel about technology that would let you choose your baby's eye color or hair color?

I want my next kid to have Adamantium claws like Wolverine.:cool:

In all seriousness......I believe there should be no modifications of ANY sort performed on a fetus unless it is to help them live a medically healthier and fuller life.

What if the same "cure" allowed parents to change prenatal heterosexuals to homosexuals? If that would be morally acceptable, then alterations of sexual orientation seem roughly equivalent to prenatal alterations (or designations, more accurately), to male or female sex. But if you think that unacceptable, then it seems as though there's some unique bias against homosexuals that exists.

Forum List

Back