What I like about TED

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
steven_strogatz_on_sync

Steven Strogatz: How things in nature tend to sync up

About this talk

Mathematician Steven Strogatz shows how flocks of creatures (like birds, fireflies and fish) manage to synchronize and act as a unit -- when no one's giving orders. The powerful tendency extends into the realm of objects, too.

About Steven Strogatz

In his work in applied mathematics, Steven Strogatz studies the way math and biology intersect
Full bio and more links

Why you should listen to him:

Steven Strogatz studies some of the most interesting problems in applied mathematics -- such as the intersection of math and biology, looking for patterns in the human sleep-wake cycle or in swarms of blinking fireflies.

More recently, he's been looking at nonlinear dynamics and chaos applied to physics, engineering and biology, and branching out into new areas, such as explorating of the small-world phenomenon in social networks (popularly known as "six degrees of separation"), and its generalization to other complex networks in nature and technology.

Recently, Strogatz' work has been in the news as British engineers released the definitive paper on the Millenium Bridge wobble, and its roots in how people walk on an unpredictable surface.

Last edited:
"keep in mind that although it looks as if ahh, each individual is acting to cooperate what's really going on is a kind of selfish Darwinian behavior..." -strogatz

"even though it looks like they are thinking as a group, they are not."

Last edited:
Merely by happenstance and a possibility there could be something worthwhile reading in the thread.

I like the TED series of lectures a lot.

The organization itself is rather arrogant, but I love their lectures.

I like the TED series of lectures a lot.

The organization itself is rather arrogant, but I love their lectures.

arrogant? why not? in a world full of what passes for intelligent conversation....

come on, lighten up. you're about as arrogant a prick as I've ever come across (subtle) and it is what makes you charming. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back