What has the Republican Party done for this country in the last 20 years?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Stainmaster, May 9, 2010.

1. Stainmaster

Stainmaster BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    When I saw this utube, as an independent, I thought it was unfair to Republicans. I think we at USMB can make it's own list.

Political Irony Shortest List Ever — Republican accomplishments of the last 20 years

I would like to start it off;

1). Republicans passed legislation in Arizona that will push the immigration question with Mexico into the news, and hopefully force some kind of resolution.

2). Republicans took bold steps in the last days of the Bush administration to stave off economic collapse.

3). Republicans got something going for national security by creating the Department of Homeland security.

What has the Republican Party done for this country in the last 20 years?

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  2. Tom Clancy

Tom Clancy Clancy for Ron Paul

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +585
    20 years?

Hmm..

1990-2010 right?

Bush's were the only one's in Power.. You really want to talk about what they've done?

apart from being Neo-Cons?

3. Stainmaster

Stainmaster BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Wikipedia, Neoconservatism is a right-wing political philosophy that emerged in the United States of America, and which supports using American economic and military power to bring liberalism, democracy, and human rights to other countries. Consequently the term is chiefly applicable to certain Americans and their strong supporters. In economics, unlike paleoconservatives, neoconservatives are generally comfortable with a welfare state; and, while rhetorically supportive of free markets, they are willing to interfere for overriding social purposes.

The term "Neocon" or "Neoconservative" are new terms to me, and I find the definition surprising. Neocons sound like moderate Republicans or Blue Dems.

At any rate let's add to the list of Republican accomplishment for our country in the last 20 years.

4. CrusaderFrank

CrusaderFrank Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,886
    The two best accomplishments were Roberts and Alito.

Oh, I was also a big fan of dropping the very first bomb of the Afghan Campaign right smack on the brand new ChiCom built Telco facility in Kabul. When the ChiComs complained about the loss of human life our response basically was "did you think we were kidding"? The main reason I liked the choice was the message it sent to our enemies, the ChiComs who were listening in on AQ and never bothered to give us a heads up on what was coming.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    The GOP Congress balanced the budget under Clinton. They impeached the bastard as well, making a Democrat the only president to be impeached in this century.
    Bush understood that the present situation is a new "war by other means" rather than the police action Clinton wanted to treat it as.
    Ditto on the Supreme Court nominees.

Remind us what Democrats have done, other than raising taxes, extending civil rights to terrorists, pissing off our allies, emboldening our enemies, raising taxes and wrecking the economy with new mandates.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. blu

blu Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +774
    expanded government, created more entitlements, started more useless wars, stripped civil liberties, gave more loopholes and powers to large companies

7. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    I think the OP was about Republicans. But if you'd like to start one about Democrats you have my permission.

8. gautama

gautama BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +336
    Whatever the negatives of the Republican Party......and the overthrow of the Baghdad Monster is NOT a negative.....the Obamarrhoidal Party with the MARXIST Muslim PC Protgector Obami Salami at the head......can NEVER do anything better. Except for Gates, (and I'm not sure he is an Obamarrhoid), there isn't a single Obamarrhoid that doesn't deserve to be flung into the nearest toilet bowl and flushed.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    good topic.....you should read this...

http://www.brookings.edu/papers/2000/11governance_light.aspx

..... it is difficult to give any single president, party, or Congress the primary credit for launching and maintaining more than a handful of the endeavors. Only nine of the endeavors can be credited primarily to Democratic presidents, and just five can be credited to Republican presidents. The rest span Democratic and Republican administrations. As a result, even though Democrats controlled Congress for the vast majority of the past fifty years, only six can be tied to unified party control of government. Almost by definition, government's greatest endeavors reflect a stunning level of bipartisan commitment, whether reflected in repeated raises in the minimum wage or the ongoing effort to contain communism. Great endeavors appear to require equally great consensus.

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,759
    Nothing.