What happened to the Titan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
edfc9ffb434a9dba598ec7ca70efc515.png

Can you give a time on the vid when he gets to the point? It's not worth over 20 minutes to learn that the hull failed, as we already know.
As an engineer I strongly relate to his entire emphasis on hull testing and retesting. Ocean gate had no such protocol which is a total red flag. His observation that exotic travel is coming into vogue sets off the alarm bells for people desirous of new experiences to investigate the process fully. Anyone looking into oceangate would not have to look too hard to see the gaps.
That would include getting the dope on the engineering history of the travel method. They didn't.

Jo

As an engineer I strongly relate to his entire emphasis on hull testing and retesting. Ocean gate had no such protocol which is a total red flag. His observation that exotic travel is coming into vogue sets off the alarm bells for people desirous of new experiences to investigate the process fully. Anyone looking into oceangate would not have to look too hard to see the gaps.
That would include getting the dope on the engineering history of the travel method. They didn't.

Jo
Have to give it to the CEO--he put his money (and life) where his mouth was. Stupid kills.

Have to give it to the CEO--he put his money (and life) where his mouth was. Stupid kills.
Sheesh....yeah. What gets me is that the guy was a test engineer. I mean he had to know the danger. The damn vessel was already derated once.... As a person who spent his entire career doing stress testing I can't even begin to guess what he was thinking.

Jo
The photo for the link says that something is insane, and of course we know there's nothing 'insane' about it.

If you watched your own vid then you should be able to answer my question.

We all know there was some kink of failure of the hull or its components.

Nobody knows exactly what.

Anyone looking into oceangate would not have to look too hard to see the gaps.
No, and you're not an engineer when you say that.
You're parroting the media's speculation but go ahead and take your best shot. You can cover yourself by suggesting all of the speculated causes because somebody will have probably guessed right!

I kind of like the one about carbon fibre failing under compression, but don't buy into that one because I'm not an engineer.

Sheesh....yeah. What gets me is that the guy was a test engineer. I mean he had to know the danger. The damn vessel was already derated once.... As a person who spent his entire career doing stress testing I can't even begin to guess what he was thinking.
He was thinking that only 50 year old white guys test. Testing is racist. The girls thought testing showed that the patriarchy didn't trust them. Testing isn't innovative.

I don't think we will ever know what exactly happened.

He was thinking that only 50 year old white guys test. Testing is racist. The girls thought testing showed that the patriarchy didn't trust them. Testing isn't innovative.
I figure he'd been doing it long enough that he knew what corners could be cut--or so he thought. Common problem for arrogant people who forget that those tests are to discover hidden flaws.

The photo for the link says that something is insane, and of course we know there's nothing 'insane' about it.

If you watched your own vid then you should be able to answer my question.

We all know there was some kink of failure of the hull or its components.

Nobody knows exactly what.
Yes the point of the video even though it was a bit extruded and wordy was the repetition of the warning that any type of exotic travel requiring a specialized vehicle also requires a regular maintenance program done by qualified engineers. This in particular was lacking.

In fact there was even some evidence of fudging the records from what he said.

That I believe is the answer to your question.

Last edited:
Yeah.... It's not cool....
But the ocean water was pretty cool.

Jo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back