What exactly is wrong/broken with internet in the US? (Net Neutrality)

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seriously, why is there even a giant FCC ruling and political debate going on about the "freedom of the internet." There is nothing wrong with the fucking internet in the United States. Why on earth do we suddenly need a major government intervention where there is no problem?
The Internet in the US is bullshit. Overpriced, corporate, slow, and often unavailable at any decent speed or at all. Time to grow up, as usual, America.

And by the way, dick nose, the Internet here is just as fast or faster than most of the industrialized world.

Download Speed by Country Net Index from Ookla
Your own link says the US is 27th.

1. 109.40 Mbps
    Singapore

2. 98.11 Mbps
    Hong Kong

3. 97.78 Mbps
    South Korea

4. 68.02 Mbps
    Monaco

5. 64.18 Mbps
    Aland Islands

6. 63.16 Mbps
    Japan

7. 63.11 Mbps
    Romania

8. 55.00 Mbps
    Sweden

9. 47.18 Mbps
    Macau

10. 45.91 Mbps
    Lithuania

11. 45.85 Mbps
    Netherlands

12. 44.06 Mbps
    Denmark

13. 42.92 Mbps
    Taiwan

14. 42.86 Mbps
    Latvia

15. 42.67 Mbps
    Switzerland

16. 42.50 Mbps
    Republic of Moldova

17. 40.90 Mbps
    Iceland

18. 39.52 Mbps
    Estonia

19. 37.35 Mbps
    Jersey

20. 36.49 Mbps
    Andorra

21. 36.42 Mbps
    France

22. 36.33 Mbps
    Luxembourg

23. 35.80 Mbps
    Finland

24. 35.65 Mbps
    Norway

25. 34.33 Mbps
    Bulgaria

26. 33.24 Mbps
    Hungary

27. 33.23 Mbps
    United States
WOW!

We are slow as a turtle, especially for being the supposed number 1 / best country in the world.... Holy Moly we are slowwwww in comparison to the country with the fastest internet.

Consider the size of the countries that have the highest speeds, as well as the fact that in some of them the speeds are really limited to the urban areas.

Seriously, why is there even a giant FCC ruling and political debate going on about the "freedom of the internet." There is nothing wrong with the fucking internet in the United States. Why on earth do we suddenly need a major government intervention where there is no problem?
The Internet in the US is bullshit. Overpriced, corporate, slow, and often unavailable at any decent speed or at all. Time to grow up, as usual, America.

And by the way, dick nose, the Internet here is just as fast or faster than most of the industrialized world.

1. 109.40 Mbps
    Singapore

2. 98.11 Mbps
    Hong Kong

3. 97.78 Mbps
    South Korea

4. 68.02 Mbps
    Monaco

5. 64.18 Mbps
    Aland Islands

6. 63.16 Mbps
    Japan

7. 63.11 Mbps
    Romania

8. 55.00 Mbps
    Sweden

9. 47.18 Mbps
    Macau

10. 45.91 Mbps
    Lithuania

11. 45.85 Mbps
    Netherlands

12. 44.06 Mbps
    Denmark

13. 42.92 Mbps
    Taiwan

14. 42.86 Mbps
    Latvia

15. 42.67 Mbps
    Switzerland

16. 42.50 Mbps
    Republic of Moldova

17. 40.90 Mbps
    Iceland

18. 39.52 Mbps
    Estonia

19. 37.35 Mbps
    Jersey

20. 36.49 Mbps
    Andorra

21. 36.42 Mbps
    France

22. 36.33 Mbps
    Luxembourg

23. 35.80 Mbps
    Finland

24. 35.65 Mbps
    Norway

25. 34.33 Mbps
    Bulgaria

26. 33.24 Mbps
    Hungary

27. 33.23 Mbps
    United States
WOW!

We are slow as a turtle, especially for being the supposed number 1 / best country in the world.... Holy Moly we are slowwwww in comparison to the country with the fastest internet.
That is because broadband is a kind of monopoly. Where I live in NJ the ISPs have made an agreement among themselves not to overlap their territories. So there is no competition. I can get only Optimum, while my friend up the street can only get Comcast. Neither of us can get TimeWarner. As a result we get gouged $65 a month for the slowest speed which is much less than the 33Mbps US average.

1. 109.40 Mbps
    Singapore

2. 98.11 Mbps
    Hong Kong

3. 97.78 Mbps
    South Korea

4. 68.02 Mbps
    Monaco

5. 64.18 Mbps
    Aland Islands

6. 63.16 Mbps
    Japan

7. 63.11 Mbps
    Romania

8. 55.00 Mbps
    Sweden

9. 47.18 Mbps
    Macau

10. 45.91 Mbps
    Lithuania

11. 45.85 Mbps
    Netherlands

12. 44.06 Mbps
    Denmark

13. 42.92 Mbps
    Taiwan

14. 42.86 Mbps
    Latvia

15. 42.67 Mbps
    Switzerland

16. 42.50 Mbps
    Republic of Moldova

17. 40.90 Mbps
    Iceland

18. 39.52 Mbps
    Estonia

19. 37.35 Mbps
    Jersey

20. 36.49 Mbps
    Andorra

21. 36.42 Mbps
    France

22. 36.33 Mbps
    Luxembourg

23. 35.80 Mbps
    Finland

24. 35.65 Mbps
    Norway

25. 34.33 Mbps
    Bulgaria

26. 33.24 Mbps
    Hungary

27. 33.23 Mbps
    United States
WOW!

Consider the size of the countries that have the highest speeds, as well as the fact that in some of them the speeds are really limited to the urban areas.
Those are national averages. Here at the Jersey Shore I get much less than the 33Mbps USA average.

OP- the internet needs to be protected from greedy idiot corporations, ie the GOP. And great internet costs at least 4x as much here as in Europe, dingbat dupes. Etc etc.

Faster internet is better in many ways. Look it up, IDIOT.

And the biggest idiot on the board shows up. Again, what can theirs do that ours can't do?

We can stream movies
We can play Online games
we can look at webpages
we can download huge games in a few hours (and that is usually self limited by the downloading source, not the lines themselves).
We can stream music
We can run teleconferences.

Find something that we can't do that the South Koreans can.
Get cheaper faster Internet, dummy.

and again, how does that faster internet help them compared to our internet?
"TIME" is Money... this term fits.

I have the fastest internet you can buy in my region and you can't stream movies well, it takes forever for me to set up a listing for my shop and forever to upload the pictures for the items I am selling and forever for the customers to search and find items on the site my shop is on... when you have faster speeds then less time is wasted...

OP- the internet needs to be protected from greedy idiot corporations, ie the GOP. And great internet costs at least 4x as much here as in Europe, dingbat dupes. Etc etc.

And the biggest idiot on the board shows up. Again, what can theirs do that ours can't do?

We can stream movies
We can play Online games
we can look at webpages
we can download huge games in a few hours (and that is usually self limited by the downloading source, not the lines themselves).
We can stream music

I have the fastest internet you can buy in my region and you can't stream movies well, it takes forever for me to set up a listing for my shop and forever to upload the pictures for the items I am selling and forever for the customers to search and find items on the site my shop is on... when you have faster speeds then less time is wasted...
I'm charged for 20 Mbps, but they have never delivered that speed. The most I have ever gotten is 12 Mbps around 3 or 4 AM and that is very rarely. During the day I get less than 7 Mbps but they still charge me for 20 Mbps.

Last edited:
My question is how is it that US internet is doing so well when the Government has almost nothing to do with it? Subsidizing a cost does not make things cheaper, like in the case of Obamacare. The whole point of America is that the lazy don't get what the hard working get.... But slowly welfare lifted the lazy to heights where productive people find being lazy is now more productive.

edthecynic you dumb fuck, if it bothers you that much don't live there. You're argument is as white trash as if someone claimed living in Texas that the adverage tempature in their house is hotter than in the rest of the US thus the Government should force companies to sell air conditioning units for cheaper.... and then regulate power costs to keep the price "affordable."

The reason the internet is not faster than other countries is simple really. It does not mother fucking need to be. What are you dumb fukers downloading? I have 1.5 Mbps where I live and it does fine. At my gym I have 56Mbps... It might as well be the same because despite being an avid gamer (FPS/MMO) I notice no fucking difference.

Really, what are you fucking downloading everyday that you need crazy fast internet? NOTHING! It's like you ignorant fucks don't even know how good 33Mbps is because lets face it, you never need more than you have right now.

We can stream movies
We can play Online games
we can look at webpages
We can stream music

I'm charged for 20 Mbps, but they have never delivered that speed. The most I have ever gotten is 12 Mbps around 3 or 4 AM and that is very rarely. During the day I get less than 7 Mbps but I still have to pay for 20 Mbps.
I don't think I get even 5Mbs on a good day... shoot, broad band was not even available here just 3-4 years ago, we only had dial up, now we have 1 broadband service to buy from and no competition.

We can stream movies
We can play Online games
we can look at webpages
We can stream music

I'm charged for 20 Mbps, but they have never delivered that speed. The most I have ever gotten is 12 Mbps around 3 or 4 AM and that is very rarely. During the day I get less than 7 Mbps but I still have to pay for 20 Mbps.

I don't understand... Do other countries not have this problem? If so.... How can their average be so bad as to hardly beat out the US?

We can stream movies
We can play Online games
we can look at webpages
We can stream music

I don't think I get even 5Mbs on a good day... shoot, broad band was not even available here just 3-4 years ago, we only had dial up, now we have 1 broadband service to buy from and no competition.

Eak! Better get Government to steal more tax payer money... Wait, borrow and add to the debt to get your dumb ass more internetz speedz!

Or I'm sorry, how else did you think it would work?

We can stream movies
We can play Online games
we can look at webpages
We can stream music

What the fuck are you not able to do on 5Mbps??????????????????????????? How many mother fucking HD's do you people have because you must fill that shit near daily.

What the fuck are you not able to do on 5Mbps??????????????????????????? How many mother fucking HD's do you people have because you must fill that shit near daily.
I have a business that runs off the internet.

Download time calculator

The average speed in the US will download approx 15 GIGS IN A FUCKING HOUR. So, 360 FUCKING GIGS IN A DAY.

Even Hate4all up there will DL near 55 FUCKING GIGS A DAY.

lolz... You people are so fucking old you don't even know wtf you're talking about.

edthecynic you dumb fuck, if it bothers you that much don't live there. You're argument is as white trash as if someone claimed living in Texas that the adverage tempature in their house is hotter than in the rest of the US thus the Government should force companies to sell air conditioning units for cheaper.... and then regulate power costs to keep the price "affordable."
You are the dumb fuck. If I buy a 1,500 BTU air conditioner, the government requires that it deliver 1,500 BTUs. The manufacturer cannot sell a 500 BTU air conditioner as a 3,000 BTU air conditioner, but without regulation an ISP can and does charge me for 20 Mbps and delivers only 1/3 of that.
Get it?

I'm sorry... Did you just make a fucking ass of yourself again? Do you bottle neck? What is your business? You could have 200, 400 web pages open on your computer and your speed won't matter. WTF lolz

Just did a speed test, and now in the wee hours, which is the fastest time I got 2.9 mbps download and 78 upload....

You are the dumb fuck. If I buy a 1,500 BTU air conditioner, the government requires that it deliver 1,500 BTUs. The manufacturer cannot sell a 500 BTU air conditioner as a 3,000 BTU air conditioner, but without regulation an ISP can and does charge me for 20 Mbps and delivers only 1/3 of that.
Get it?

I don't understand no... We need a bill to deal with a contract issue???????????????? They sell you a product, they under deliver... Why do we need Obama spying... I mean taking over the internetz?

I'm sorry... Did you just make a fucking ass of yourself again? Do you bottle neck? What is your business? You could have 200, 400 web pages open on your computer and your speed won't matter. WTF lolz
you have no idea what you are talking about, so just stop.

you have no idea what you are talking about, so just stop.

Care4all, what does 2.9 Mbps prevent your business from doing?

Download time calculator

The average speed in the US will download approx 15 GIGS IN A FUCKING HOUR. So, 360 FUCKING GIGS IN A DAY.

Even Hate4all up there will DL near 55 FUCKING GIGS A DAY.

lolz... You people are so fucking old you don't even know wtf you're talking about.
You just don't get it. Say you need only 3Mbps, you can't get 3 Mbps, you have to pay for 20 Mbps. I certainly don't need 20 Mbps but I have to pay for it, so if I'm forced to pay for 20 Mbps because there is no competition willing to sell me only 3 Mbps, then they should be required to deliver what they are charging me for.

If you go to fill up your gas than in your car, and they only fill 1/3 of your tank but charged you for a full tank, even though you can get to work and back on 1/3 tank, if you pay for a full than you should get a full tank.

Forum List

Back