What do you think about My idea

gball30

Rookie
Mar 18, 2011
Nuclear control.

U-235 needs to be cooled, interaction with oxygen allows that molecules to speed up and produce heat from the energy released. This heat is used to control the boiling of water into steam to be harnessed to turn turbines that is attached to generator to produce energy. The same method is use in oil and coal power plants. In these plants the fuel is used to heat water to produce the steam needed to turn the turbines.
In a nuclear reactor we have another compound call P-239 or plutonium; this is what is created as a byproduct from the U-235 as it decays and splits into two new atoms the remaining 2 or sometimes 3 neutrons are project at very fast speeds to splits another U-235. At this point the radiation type is of gamma nature. The two new formed atoms will radiate beta radiation. In this form we can control the reactions simply by submerging the fuel rods made up of U-235 and P-239 into a cooling bath of water and hydrogen. If the process of not cooling the rods in a controls environment the unattended rods left to heat up will eventually heat up to the point the U-235 and P-239 will begin to change its state from solid to liquid. In the liquid state the temperature will be very high and will emit poisonous vapor from the P-239.
This is the situation at Japans troubled reactors. The heat and radiation will become very high and we as humans have nothing that can get close enough to handle the situation. At this time they have only seen a partial melting of these rods.

I have a though on how to prevent the reoccurrence of the Chernobyl situation. This option may have not been looked into.
The rods need to be removed from the reactor by long hocks from a helicopter and place the rods into the depths of the ocean to get them to cool off. This is only phase one, after a few day the rods will change a little with the added sea salt to form a carbon compound. At this point we can send equipment to manage it. First we will need to create concrete and lead container that can be filled with liquid nitrogen once the fuel rod is placed in the container. This can then be handled above the water and dealt with to dispose of it.
I ask what is the other alternative; the reoccurrence of Chernobyl or control the damage. I understand the risk involved, but my solution has some risk, but the outcome is much more manageable in the end. In Chernobyl they did not have the depth of water that could cool the rods. Japan does.
If you feel this is a good idea, please pass it along to someone that can help. Japan needs to do something other than just letting it melt down, sometime thinking outside the box will help in sparking a new idea that will work.
Cheers!!!
-gary

When a helicopter is designed that can lift the tonnage you're talking about, you would then have this insane ability to expose the fuel rods and the spent fuel pile, to open atmosphere. Causing maximum radiation pollution in the process.

Forum List

Back