What Do Christians Want?

I'm a firm believer in the 11th Commandment:

11. Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

I disagree.

I like to know about other people's beliefs. I am not offended by discussing it with them.

However, I would agree with it like this:

11. Thou shalt not attempt to force your religion on anyone else.

Immie

I like your 11th commandment better.

I'm a bit baffled by the general tone of some posts on here regarding the wants and needs of christians as to their communities. I get the very uneasy feeling that what some want is a world in which non-christians have no power, no voice, and no visibility.

Some seem angered at the idea that the US Constitution provides for a separation of church and state, insisting that the Founders could not have ever wanted any religion other than christianity to have an impact on public life here. Others seem to feel that non-christians should not be permitted to erect their houses of worship just any old place. Then there are complaints that some public figures may be less than fully christian, or that the occasional non-christian slips by and is elevated to high office.

I'm just curious. Do christians really want or need a country in which no one else's religious or spiritual lives are respected?

The simple answer to the final question there is "NO."

No one that I know of is saying that Christians want all of the power. That is foolish.

The Constitution only provides that the government cannot interfere with religious practices. There is no other separation of church and state in the Constitution.

Christ respected the fact that there were other religions. He just did not lead Christians to do what they practice, or to follow their teachings, or allow them to control his followers.

What do you mean by Christ not wanting anyone to be controlling his followers? Who is controlling you?

I think it's pretty clear no American wants to be controlled by some special interest group.

Last edited:
Me too, Sky Dancer. Sometimes I feel as if many christians would be happier if me and mine did not live here, or exist at all. It can be very sorrowful. I'm not sure they understand all the pain they sometimes cause.

Now see I have a hard time understanding where that comes from. When I look at this site, and any site, really, I see thread after thread after thread which call out Christians, calls them stupid, attribute all sorts of nasty things to them that have no basis in truth, and ridicules them to boot.

So please tell me where you found all this anti-anti-Christian crap. Where one of us has said anything like Christians want you and yours to leave or cease to exist.

I'll wait for a link.

I know I can find plenty of links for threads where anti-Christians have come straight out and said that about Christians, however. I have had PMs that have told me to die and take my children with me, based on my Christianity. That the world would be a better place without me and my "kind".

How many of those IMs have you gotten?

I'm a firm believer in the 11th Commandment:

11. Thou shalt keep thy religion to thyself.

I disagree.

I like to know about other people's beliefs. I am not offended by discussing it with them.

Immie

Define "force". When was the last time a Christian tried to "force" their religion on you, Sky?

And I mean by the traditional definition of force. "Forcing" does not include you overhearing someone preaching on a street corner when you go to get a quart of milk.

Me too, Sky Dancer. Sometimes I feel as if many christians would be happier if me and mine did not live here, or exist at all. It can be very sorrowful. I'm not sure they understand all the pain they sometimes cause.

Now see I have a hard time understanding where that comes from. When I look at this site, and any site, really, I see thread after thread after thread which call out Christians, calls them stupid, attribute all sorts of nasty things to them that have no basis in truth, and ridicules them to boot.

So please tell me where you found all this anti-anti-Christian crap. Where one of us has said anything like Christians want you and yours to leave or cease to exist.

I'll wait for a link.

I know I can find plenty of links for threads where anti-Christians have come straight out and said that about Christians, however. I have had PMs that have told me to die and take my children with me, based on my Christianity. That the world would be a better place without me and my "kind".
How many of those IMs have you gotten?

That's terrible Allie. I'm sorry that happened to you.

The truth is I can't speak for Madeline but I no longer feel free to voice my opinion about Christians even though I enjoyed our spirited debate about whether the US is or is NOT a Christian nation.

Last edited:
This whole topic makes me feel sad.

Why?

If we can come to know and understand each other a little better, why does that make you sad?

Immie

That's very sweet Immie. I've been discussing separation of church and state, whether the US is a secular government or a Christian state, the rise of domionism and theocracy movements, mega churches organizing to oppose civil marriage equality and whether Christianity is a superior religion to Islam or not.

What I've decided to do is stick to Buddhism and let Christians figure out what they're about.

It's more important to me to live in peace than argue.

If your behavior reflected that I might believe you yet all I see you do is take every opportunity to can to try to stereotype Christians as evil, murderous, roving gangs of mind nappers.

Why?

If we can come to know and understand each other a little better, why does that make you sad?

Immie

That's very sweet Immie. I've been discussing separation of church and state, whether the US is a secular government or a Christian state, the rise of domionism and theocracy movements, mega churches organizing to oppose civil marriage equality and whether Christianity is a superior religion to Islam or not.

What I've decided to do is stick to Buddhism and let Christians figure out what they're about.

If your behavior reflected that I might believe you yet all I see you do is take every opportunity to can to try to stereotype Christians as evil, murderous, roving gangs of mind nappers.

Back to topic. What do Christians want? I'm listening.

Last edited:

Why not stay on topic? What do Christians want? I'm listening.

Asking what Christians want assumes they all want the same thing. It's similar to asking what all Mexicans want.
Try it without stereo-typing---I know you can do it.

I disagree.

Immie

Define "force". When was the last time a Christian tried to "force" their religion on you, Sky?

And I mean by the traditional definition of force. "Forcing" does not include you overhearing someone preaching on a street corner when you go to get a quart of milk.

Allie--

When out of state LDS and Catholic Churches poured millions and millions of dollars into my state to defeat marriage equality in California. I felt those religious entities were forcing their religion on me. They were also interfering in states rights.

I have no problem with LDS or JW coming to my door to preach. I'm usually friendly and courteous to the missionaries.

I take issue with not being able to enjoy the legal benefits of civil marriage to my partner of 25 years. I want the same rights as any other married person.

Last edited:

Allie--

When out of state LDS and Catholic Churches poured millions and millions of dollars to defeat marriage equality in California I felt they were forcing their religion on me.

I have no problem with LDS or JW coming to my door to preach. I take issue with not being able to enjoy the legal benefits of civil marriage to my partner of 25 years. I want the same rights as any other married person.

Buddhists in politics

Sri Lanka Scene<br>Peace Talks May Suffer - Sangam.org

Why not stay on topic? What do Christians want? I'm listening.

Asking what Christians want assumes they all want the same thing. It's similar to asking what all Mexicans want.

OK what do you want, individual Christian?

Allie--

When out of state LDS and Catholic Churches poured millions and millions of dollars to defeat marriage equality in California I felt they were forcing their religion on me.

I have no problem with LDS or JW coming to my door to preach. I take issue with not being able to enjoy the legal benefits of civil marriage to my partner of 25 years. I want the same rights as any other married person.

Buddhists in politics

Yes, I'm quite aware of the situation in Sri Lanka. I mentioned it in my thread if you recall. Religion is in the mix in Sri Lanka so is race, tribal conflict and ethnicity.

OK what do you want, individual Christian?

When did I claim to be a Christian ?

Let me try again. This is Madeline's thread. She is asking what do Christian want? Neither of us knows. What do you want from this thread whoever you are?

Last edited:
Allie--

Buddhists in politics

Yes, I'm quite aware of the situation in Sri Lanka. I mentioned it in my thread if you recall. Religion is in the mix in Sri Lanka so is race, tribal conflict and ethnicity.

and your take on Buddists using thier religion as a political force is ?

It's completely against the teachings of the Buddha. The monks are committing grave misconduct.

Last edited:

It's completely against the teachings of the Buddha. The monks are committing grave misconduct.

so these people who call themselves Buddhists are really not a good example of what Buddhism is all about ?

Forum List

Back