What did the Left think about the Stewart Rally?

Dr.Traveler

Mathematician
Aug 31, 2009
Jon Stewart Takes on his critics on the left

Two funny videos here at the link. Apparently Stewart is holding another Rally after being "called out" by folks on the Left that were angry he didn't blame the Right for the country's woes. The link has a critique, and Stewart's on target response.

For the record, Stewart is right on this one. The Rally wasn't a pro-Left Rally, it was a rally to restore some sanity to the dialogue, and both Left and Right are to blame for the fact that sanity took the last bus out of town.

I think the general idea of restoring sanity is great, but it can be taken too far. I don't know who here watches Cenk Uygur, but he talks all the time about the "fake-unbias" that the media strives for which goes: "One side says X, but the other side says Y."

The job of the media is to be watch dogs, and you can't be a watchdog if you won't ask tough questions and demand explanations of outrageous claims any more than you can be if you are a partisan cheerleader.

For example, the media should have been all over the argument for the Iraq war criticizing it intelligently. Instead, I guess the media was just too afraid of losing access to point out that the case for war was basically hot air.

[T]he similarities to Beck's rally are just the sort of thing Stewart himself would satirize on his show if, of course, it weren't his rally and his TV show in the first place. In his few pre-rally comments, Stewart has reached for some of the broad values and high-minded themes that Beck's did -- civility, decency, making America better -- though admittedly with fewer religious allusions and more comic panache.....

[A] mass gathering with the stated aim of being nice. Is that a role a satirist can really play?
ADDED: Stewart is, of course, attempting to help the Democrats. But don't Democrats worry about losing control of the imagery? I assume the crowd Stewart pulls in will not give off finely tuned niceness vibes and, in all likelihood, they will project a much more left-wing image than Democrats would like to be identified with.

Im sure they felt it was a good idea to have genocidal manic yusef Islam there but were fearful that so many people in one place would make the world tip over.

I thought it was ok, it was kinda boring but had its shining moments and funniness. I feel like they had to weight in whether they wanted to make it real neutral or just go ahead and make it a total laugh-spectacle making fun of Beck's rally, and they chose the former.

BEST PART: Stewart brings out Cat Stevens to sing Peace Train!! AND THE COLBERT BRINGS OZZY TO SING CRAZY TRAIN!! Oh my god, It was SO great. And in the end of course, they bring the O'Jays to sing Love Train. Thought that was pretty funny and cool.

Forum List

Back