What Can Be Done About Violent Crime You Ask?

I believe that drug legalization would significantly reduce violence in America, particularly in America's ghettos.
That is the most absurd and bizarre statement I ever heard. In places where drugs are so available the issue of legalization is moot, the violence is common.
Yes, millions trying to buy drugs they desperately need with no money because in their drug induced lives they can’t hold down a job.

Perfect formula for violent crime to skyrocket.

I posit that a different approach is necessary.

Before drugs were criminalized, there was much less problem.
When drugs are legal, then government is more credible and you can get medical help.
Why were drugs less of a problem? Users didn't live long. There was no social safety net. No medical care at all. No food stamps or EBT. No welfare, no shelters, not even a charity supplied tent. Piss someone off and get shot or lynched. Families that cared might lock a user in an attic or basement. I would certainly support the legalization of drugs if they were left to die in an alley.

Wrong.
Drugs were less of a problem when they were not illegal because people believed it more when they were warned about them.
There also was less profit in pushing them.
Medical care was much more accessible than now.
You did not need a social safety net because food in the wild was plentiful and agricultural food was cheap.
There was way more charity then compared to now, with churches actually doing things instead of TV Evangelists.
Nonsense. Medical care more accessible! Where? There might not be a doctor in 100 miles. Go to a church for charity and you get a broom and an axe. Sweep up and then chop firewood. Go hunt. Root in the dirt. Piss off the wrong person and it's instant karma.

Country or village doctors never turned people away because they do not pay.
Actually I did not see medicine turn into a high cost business until the late1960s.
Before that there was always a county hospital you got treated for without a bill.

Nothing wrong with asking the poor to work for their food.
There just are no opportunities to even do that any more.

And no, I an not sure, but I would bet the crime rate was less than compared to now.
There were fewer criminals and instant justice.

Forum List

Back