What Are You Reading?

Discussion in 'Writing' started by Dr Grump, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Marianne

Marianne Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    Haven't got that one yet but I'll look for it.

2. Marianne

Marianne Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    Maigret in Retirement
    Maigret in Retirement (French: Maigret se fâche) is a 1945 detective novel by the Belgian mystery writer Georges Simenonfeaturing Jules Maigret.

Two years into his retirement at Meung-sur-Loire, Maigret has yet to be tempted to take on a case. But 82-year-old Bernadette Amorelle, the widow of Amorelle of Amorelle and Campois, the major gravel and barge company on the Seine, shows up at his door and virtually orders him to Orsennes, where her 18-year-old granddaughter, Monita Malik, has been found dead in the Seine. Maigret arrives and finds an old acquaintance from his days at lycée in Moulins, Ernest Malik, who they'd called "The Tax Collector" after his father's occupation, the sort of man Maigret instinctively disliked. It is made clear that Maigret's presence in Orsenne is unwelcome, but Maigret is intrigued by the apparent disappearance of Malik's younger son, Georges-Henry Malik.

Maigret returns to Paris to investigate further and to enlist the services of Mimile, an old circus hand, with whose help he rescues the boy from the cellar his father has imprisoned him in. The mystery is finally unraveled when Bernadette shoots and kills her son-in-law Ernest, and Maigret returns to hear her story. Malik had been a gambler, and enticed Désiré Campois' son, Roger Campois, into gambling way over his head, until he committed suicide, thus freeing Amorelle's daughter from her engagement, and giving Ernest room to marry into the family. He was more intrigued by the younger daughter, Aimée Amorelle, who bore his child, Monita, but not before he had brought his younger brother, Charles Malik, in to marry Aimée, eventually forcing Old Campois from power, and conquering all but Bernadette. The daughter, Monita, had learned the secret, and shared it with Georges-Henry.

3. Marianne

Marianne Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    Immortal in Death
    Novel by Nora Roberts
    [​IMG]
    In the third novel in the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series, Lieutenant Eve Dallas uncovers a world where technology can create beauty and youth, but passion and greed can destroy them...She was one of the most sought after women in the world. A top model who would stop at nothing to get what she wanted even another woman s man. And now she was dead, the victim of a brutal murder. Police Lieutenant Eve Dallas put her life on the line to take the case when suspicion fell on her best friend, the other woman in the fatal love triangle. Beneath the facade of glamour, Eve found that the world of high fashion thrived on an all-consuming obsession for youth and fame. One that led from the runway to the dark underworld of New York City where drugs could be found to fulfill any desire for a price

4. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,491
    Penthouse Forum.

5. Marianne

Marianne Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    The Body in the Vestibule
    Book by Katherine Hall Page
    [​IMG]
    Another thrilling Faith Fairchild adventure from the Agatha Award-winning author of The Body in the Belfry. The Fairchild family is blissfully on sabbatical in Lyon, France, when their peace is interrupted by Faith's discovery of a body in the dumpster.

6. Mindful

Mindful Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,943
    I'm in the mood for page turners, and have bought John Grisham's Camino Island. Am just into the book. He certainly knows his detailed background detailed stuff.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Marianne

Marianne Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    I usually read between three and six books at a time, different genre's though. I spent the day working on a Maigret murder mystery by Georges Simenon. Most of the books I read are old because I can get them for $1 to $2 at a local church that sells the local library's discards and donation's to help keep the library going. I have some Grisham somewhere in my reading room but haven't gotten to him yet.

8. Marianne

Marianne Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    Maigret Goes to School is 1954 detective novel by the Belgian writer Georges Simenon featuring his character Jules Maigret.

In the story, Maigret is called from his usual duties in Paris to investigate a murder in a small village located close to La Rochelle. A local postmistress has been killed and suspicion has fallen on the local schoolmaster. When Maigret gets there he discovers a very inward-looking community, which hated the dead woman because she knew all their secrets.

9. Natural Citizen

Natural Citizen Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,845
    I'm gonna crack this one in the next day or so. Even though I already know the answer.

[​IMG]

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  10. Marianne

Marianne Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,098
    I'm glad you know already, you won't be disappointed to fine you're paying for some senators Mercedes and trip to Cabo.