What are you listening to?

Arab Strap "Fucking Little Bastards" from the album "Monday at the Hug & Pint" released in 2003 on Chemikal Underground Records.

The Delgados "Everything Goes Around The Water" from the album "Peloton" released in 1998 on Chemikal Underground Records.

Camera Obscura "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" released on 7" in 2006 on Elefant Records the B Side is "I Can't Stay Mad At You"

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Spanish Castle Magic" from the album "Axis: Bold as Love" released in 1967 on Track/Polydor Records. As ever the drumming from Mitch Mitchell is excellent he was along with John Bonham one of the great innovative drummers, John Bonham though is THE best drummer ever apart from Buddy Rich.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Red House" from the album "Are You Experienced" released in 1967 on Track/Polydor Records. I notice that the American version of the album "Are You Experienced" did not have "Red House" on it, I think this because the Americans did not appreciate Blues Music like we Europeans did and do, perhaps not sure. I do know that for example Sonny Boy Williamson II, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Howlin Wolf, Jimmy Reed etc were basically unknown in America outside of Blues Clubs and Birdland in New York and in the late 1950s and in the 1960s toured extensively on my Continent were they were known more but again mainly by the Blues and Jazz Crowd as America was more interested in the Pop Music crap from The Beatles, Hermans Hermits etc

The European 1967 issue of "Are You Experienced" on Track/Polydor Records and "Red House" is track # 3 on Side I:

View attachment 223188

View attachment 223189

The American 1967 issue of "Are You Experienced?" with no "Red House" released on Reprise Records and I also notice that the American issue has a ? "Are You Experienced?" the European issue has no ? "Are You Experienced"

View attachment 223190

View attachment 223191

I know that probably only Pogo will think this as interesting as me, he's probably the only one here as obsessive as I am about these strange happenings like missing songs and missing ? from different issues of albums etc

WTF after all of my mental energy on ^^^^ I think it's time for Martini O'Clock :smoke:

Oosie, you have a point that the classic blues (and jazz) artists met in general a higher level of appreciation on the Continent than in their own continent here but the other factor is that US record companies traditionally employed a different standard for LP tracks; whereas the UK would normally feature seven tracks on a side, the US of the same period limited them to six. This is of course when music tracks were much more uniform and "six tracks" meant 20 minutes or less in total.

This was entirely out of greed, as the technology easily supports 30 minutes per side or more. In fact at one point I believe Capitol was able to release an additional Beatles album versus Parlophone's UK catalogue, simply because the US division had held several tracks back and they built up, unreleased.

This would be the primary reason "Red House" would have been kept off "Experienced" --- some pencil pusher thought he could make Warner more money by squeezing more LPs out.

Of course our entire conception that a "song" means more or less "three minutes" is entirely due to the earlier technology of the shellac 78rpm record, since that was about the limit of that technology. There's no cultural or attention-span reason a particular song should be limited to three minutes other than that, so that technology dictated that model.

It took me years to write it, they were the best years of my life
It was a beautiful song but it ran too long
If you're gonna have a hit you gotta make it fit
So they cut it down to 3:05 -- Billy Joel

All because of the limitations of the 78. As we found out when "Hey Jude" and MacArthur Park" came out, the 45 single was easily capable of seven minutes.

The shellac that made the 78s was derived from a resin secreted by a bug in southeast Asia.
But I digress...... :smoke:

Kid A aged 5 years in age and me decide that today Thursday today Thursday after lunch that we are going to play various records to Kid E, she is going to like this I think she enjoyed The Sonics LP she was making cute noises and laughing to herself, well I hope laughing to herself and NOT laughing at the record if it was that then she's going to have to be adopted, she will though get another opportunity to enjoy records today.

I'm thinking of playing Kid E Albert Ayler's "Spiritual Unity" LP but at age 6 weeks I think she is to young for this, so I will have to wait until she is older and mature to play her that Albert Ayler album, say when she's 6 MONTHS old I think she will take it in and appreciate that type of thing :smoke:

When members of my family went to live in Argentina the first group of them in the 1930s the second group of them in the late 1940s they soon were friends with all top Opera singers in Buenos Aires, Opera being a family obsession they first meet Eva Perón at the Opera at Teatro Colón and become friends, my family also were friends with Isabel Perón we have photograph pictures of them with Evita and later with Isabel Perón, I have been to the Opera at Teatro Colón one the THE most MAJESTIC Opera Houses in the world. So I continue the first group of my family members they went to Buenos Aires in the 1930s and they got an obsession with Tango music and were friends with a very famous Argentine Tango singer and film actress Ada Falcón who was from Buenos Aires, she died in 2002 but everyone last see her in 1942 when she disappear into her house and become a recluse for 60 years until she died, very mysterious and bizarro happening. My Argentine cousins were born in Buenos Aires and are still in Argentina, but the family members that return home in the early 1990s they ship with them a mega amount of Tango 78s the majority are now given to me some years ago and they weigh a ton and I have a machine that I can play them on.

Kid E will be played Tango music also, she has some minutes ago been introduced to Ada Falcón with the below tune. I add that anyone who does not like Argentine Tango Music should be rounded up and airdropped into Gitmo :smoke:

Ada Falcón with the Orquesta Tipica Francisco Canaro "Envidia" released on 10" 78 RPM in 1936 on Odeon Records "Envidia" is the B Side the A Side is "Cariño"

This below is the Orquesta Tipica Francisco Canaro the picture in 1928, I have highlight Francisco Canaro, he was leader and lead violinist he was Uruguayan from Uruguay:

upload_2018-10-18_1-16-46.png

This below is Francisco Canaro with Ada Falcón the picture is I think 1940:

upload_2018-10-18_1-17-20.png

Ada Falcón - Wikipedia

Francisco Canaro - Wikipedia

The Delgados "Everything Goes Around The Water" from the album "Peloton" released in 1998 on Chemikal Underground Records.

Camera Obscura "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" released on 7" in 2006 on Elefant Records the B Side is "I Can't Stay Mad At You"

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Spanish Castle Magic" from the album "Axis: Bold as Love" released in 1967 on Track/Polydor Records. As ever the drumming from Mitch Mitchell is excellent he was along with John Bonham one of the great innovative drummers, John Bonham though is THE best drummer ever apart from Buddy Rich.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Red House" from the album "Are You Experienced" released in 1967 on Track/Polydor Records. I notice that the American version of the album "Are You Experienced" did not have "Red House" on it, I think this because the Americans did not appreciate Blues Music like we Europeans did and do, perhaps not sure. I do know that for example Sonny Boy Williamson II, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Howlin Wolf, Jimmy Reed etc were basically unknown in America outside of Blues Clubs and Birdland in New York and in the late 1950s and in the 1960s toured extensively on my Continent were they were known more but again mainly by the Blues and Jazz Crowd as America was more interested in the Pop Music crap from The Beatles, Hermans Hermits etc

The European 1967 issue of "Are You Experienced" on Track/Polydor Records and "Red House" is track # 3 on Side I:

View attachment 223188

View attachment 223189

The American 1967 issue of "Are You Experienced?" with no "Red House" released on Reprise Records and I also notice that the American issue has a ? "Are You Experienced?" the European issue has no ? "Are You Experienced"

View attachment 223190

View attachment 223191

I know that probably only Pogo will think this as interesting as me, he's probably the only one here as obsessive as I am about these strange happenings like missing songs and missing ? from different issues of albums etc

WTF after all of my mental energy on ^^^^ I think it's time for Martini O'Clock :smoke:

Oosie, you have a point that the classic blues (and jazz) artists met in general a higher level of appreciation on the Continent than in their own continent here but the other factor is that US record companies traditionally employed a different standard for LP tracks; whereas the UK would normally feature seven tracks on a side, the US of the same period limited them to six. This is of course when music tracks were much more uniform and "six tracks" meant 20 minutes or less in total.

This was entirely out of greed, as the technology easily supports 30 minutes per side or more. In fact at one point I believe Capitol was able to release an additional Beatles album versus Parlophone's UK catalogue, simply because the US division had held several tracks back and they built up, unreleased.

This would be the primary reason "Red House" would have been kept off "Experienced" --- some pencil pusher thought he could make Warner more money by squeezing more LPs out.

Of course our entire conception that a "song" means more or less "three minutes" is entirely due to the earlier technology of the shellac 78rpm record, since that was about the limit of that technology. There's no cultural or attention-span reason a particular song should be limited to three minutes other than that, so that technology dictated that model.

All because of the limitations of the 78. As we found out when "Hey Jude" and MacArthur Park" came out, the 45 single was easily capable of seven minutes.

The shellac that made the 78s was derived from a resin secreted by a bug in southeast Asia.

Kid A aged 5 years in age and me decide that today Thursday today Thursday after lunch that we are going to play various records to Kid E, she is going to like this I think she enjoyed The Sonics LP she was making cute noises and laughing to herself, well I hope laughing to herself and NOT laughing at the record if it was that then she's going to have to be adopted, she will though get another opportunity to enjoy records today.

I'm thinking of playing Kid E Albert Ayler's "Spiritual Unity" LP but at age 6 weeks I think she is to young for this, so I will have to wait until she is older and mature to play her that Albert Ayler album, say when she's 6 MONTHS old I think she will take it in and appreciate that type of thing :smoke:

When members of my family went to live in Argentina the first group of them in the 1930s the second group of them in the late 1940s they soon were friends with all top Opera singers in Buenos Aires, Opera being a family obsession they first meet Eva Perón at the Opera at Teatro Colón and become friends, my family also were friends with Isabel Perón we have photograph pictures of them with Evita and later with Isabel Perón, I have been to the Opera at Teatro Colón one the THE most MAJESTIC Opera Houses in the world. So I continue the first group of my family members they went to Buenos Aires in the 1930s and they got an obsession with Tango music and were friends with a very famous Argentine Tango singer and film actress Ada Falcón who was from Buenos Aires, she died in 2002 but everyone last see her in 1942 when she disappear into her house and become a recluse for 60 years until she died, very mysterious and bizarro happening. My Argentine cousins were born in Buenos Aires and are still in Argentina, but the family members that return home in the early 1990s they ship with them a mega amount of Tango 78s the majority are now given to me some years ago and they weigh a ton and I have a machine that I can play them on.

Kid E will be played Tango music also, she has some minutes ago been introduced to Ada Falcón with the below tune. I add that anyone who does not like Argentine Tango Music should be rounded up and airdropped into Gitmo :smoke:

Ada Falcón with the Orquesta Tipica Francisco Canaro "Envidia" released on 10" 78 RPM in 1936 on Odeon Records "Envidia" is the B Side the A Side is "Cariño"

This below is the Orquesta Tipica Francisco Canaro the picture in 1928, I have highlight Francisco Canaro, he was leader and lead violinist he was Uruguayan from Uruguay:

View attachment 223222

View attachment 223223

Ada Falcón - Wikipedia

Broadcast and The Focus Group "Ritual/Looking In" from the album "Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age" released in 2009 on Warp Records.

View attachment 223188

View attachment 223189

View attachment 223190

View attachment 223191

View attachment 223222

View attachment 223223

Ada Falcón - Wikipedia

Broadcast and The Focus Group "Ritual/Looking In" from the album "Broadcast and The Focus Group Investigate Witch Cults of the Radio Age" released in 2009 on Warp Records.

One of Tokyo's finest:

Melt-Banana "Circle-Jack (Chase the Magic Words, Lego Lego)" from the album "Charlie" released in 1998 on A-Zap Records.

Melt-Banana "Stimulus For Revolting Virus" from the album "Charlie" released in 1998 on A-Zap Records.

"Charlie" would be in my Top 20 favourite albums, from the begin to the end it's a completely enjoyable and also exhausting listen the absolute frantic energy of it, I add that it's now also one of Kid A's favourite records, we listened to it this afternoon and Kid E listened to it also, I think she liked it it gave her some type of musical induced version of a sugar high :smoke:

Last edited:

A timely old chestnut, good stuff. :thup:

From the same era another chestnut........ Circus Maximus "Wind"

The Incredible String Band "Witches Hat" from the album "The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter" released in 1968 on Elektra Records.

Reverend Gary Davis "Bad Company Brought Me Here" from the album "Say No To The Devil" released in 1961 on Prestige Bluesville Records.

Memphis Minnie "Lean Meat Won't Fry" released on 10" 78 RPM in 1946 on Columbia Records "Lean Meat Won't Fry" is the B Side the A Side is "Fish Man Blues"

Reverend J. M. Gates and assisted by Sister Jordan and Sister Norman "Judgement Day Is Coming" recorded on November 3 1926 in Atlanta, Georgia and released on 10" 78 RPM in 1927 on OKeh Records, "Judgement Day Is Coming" is the B Side the A Side is "Paul And Silas In Jail"

Dis some cracka music heanh. If you understand him, you're probably a cracker. (or Southern black)

It don't look too much like Turnip Green, though.

I have been collecting for some time Traditional Korean Folk Music records, I have some from North Korea but I cannot find what I have on records on YouTube so I cannot post anything so I am posting some South Korean Folk Music because on YouTube I can find some that I have on record like Hwang Byungki.

Hwang Byungki who died in January 2018 was a virtuoso of a traditional Korean instrument the kayagûm a 12 string instrument very much like a zither, but not a zither. Hwang Byungki specialise in a type of Korean Folk Music called the Sanjo which is purely instrumental and very intricate and also very delicate and it was specifically developed for the kayagûm between 1890-1891 by Kim Chang-jo. Sanjo itself is in a Sub-Genre of Traditional Korean Folk Music, the Sub-Genre is called Minsogak but unlike pure Sanjo which is instrumental Minsogak also includes singing. With Hwang Byungki there is no singing.

Hwang Byungki "Kayagûm Masterpieces Vol. 4 - Spring Snow" released in 2001 on C&L Music.

The below contain five movements they are:

I. "Spring Snow: Calm Morning"
II. "Spring Snow: Peacefully"
III. "Spring Snow: Mysteriously"
IV. "Spring Snow: Humorously"
V. "Spring Snow: Excitedly"

Hwang Byungki - Wikipedia

Forum List

Back