What are you listening to?

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

You Tube being amazing, they have all of Bartók's String Quartet's uploaded.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

This is the Allegro from "String Quartet No. 5":

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

The whole Imarhan album is completely astonishing.

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Somewhere in this thread I probably have commented that my favourite band ever are The Fall. There since I was about 8 years old has not been a day that I have not listened to something by The Fall, until January 24 2018 when I was told that Mark E. Smith had died this effectively ended The Fall as he WAS The Fall and the death of Mark E. Smith had an immense effect on me that I have not been able to listen to The Fall since, then this afternoon I had the feeling I must resume listening to The Fall again.

The Fall "Cruiser's Creek" released on "7 in 1985 on Beggars Banquet Records the B Side is "L.A."

The Fall "The Man Whose Head Expanded" released on "7 in 1983 on Rough Trade Records the B Side is "Ludd Gang"

Blind Willie Johnson "Lord I Just Can't Keep From Crying" released on "10 in 1929 on Columbia Records the B Side is "Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning"

upload_2018-10-17_1-18-4.png

upload_2018-10-17_1-18-56.png

Earlier I was listening to Béla Bartók "String Quartet No. 5", on the record player.

The painting in the background of course, this is Wassily Kandinsky's "Composition VIII" from 1923, Kandinsky's early Bauhaus period....I love Kandinsky, one of my favourite artists.

Then I listened to Imarhan, who are Tuareg from Algeria and are on City Slang Records which is owned and run by some friends of our's in Berlin:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

This is Imarhan's song "Tahabort" which is amazing, incredibly intricate guitar work and in general just extraordinary noise, they're on tour throughout Europa this month and also March, we must go and watch them do their thing:

Edited to add comment.

Somewhere in this thread I probably have commented that my favourite band ever are The Fall. There since I was about 8 years old has not been a day that I have not listened to something by The Fall, until January 24 2018 when I was told that Mark E. Smith had died this effectively ended The Fall as he WAS The Fall and the death of Mark E. Smith had an immense effect on me that I have not been able to listen to The Fall since, then this afternoon I had the feeling I must resume listening to The Fall again.

The Fall "Cruiser's Creek" released on "7 in 1985 on Beggars Banquet Records the B Side is "L.A."

The Fall "The Man Whose Head Expanded" released on "7 in 1983 on Rough Trade Records the B Side is "Ludd Gang"

Blind Willie Johnson "Lord I Just Can't Keep From Crying" released on "10 in 1929 on Columbia Records the B Side is "Keep Your Lamp Trimmed And Burning"

View attachment 223026

View attachment 223027

PJ Harvey "Sheela-Na-Gig" recorded on 29 October 1991 from the album "The Peel Sessions 1991-2004" released in 2006 on Island Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

View attachment 223026

View attachment 223027

PJ Harvey "Sheela-Na-Gig" recorded on 29 October 1991 from the album "The Peel Sessions 1991-2004" released in 2006 on Island Records.

Ella Washington "All The Time" from the album "Ella Washington" released in 1969 on Sound Stage 7 Records.

Andre Rieu leading I think the Jefferson Symphony of Golden Colorado in Eduard Strauss' "Bahn Frei"

A version of this was used for Jean Shepherd's classic evening storytelling radio program of the 1950s-1960s as both his opening and closing theme. The piece is supposed to recall a fast train ride, hence the effects.

Last edited:

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

View attachment 223026

View attachment 223027

Ella Washington "All The Time" from the album "Ella Washington" released in 1969 on Sound Stage 7 Records.

Arab Strap "Fucking Little Bastards" from the album "Monday at the Hug & Pint" released in 2003 on Chemikal Underground Records.

City Slang Records

Imarhan

Edited to add comment.

View attachment 223026

View attachment 223027

Arab Strap "Fucking Little Bastards" from the album "Monday at the Hug & Pint" released in 2003 on Chemikal Underground Records.

The Delgados "Everything Goes Around The Water" from the album "Peloton" released in 1998 on Chemikal Underground Records.

View attachment 223026

View attachment 223027

The Delgados "Everything Goes Around The Water" from the album "Peloton" released in 1998 on Chemikal Underground Records.

Camera Obscura "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" released on 7" in 2006 on Elefant Records the B Side is "I Can't Stay Mad At You"

View attachment 223026

View attachment 223027

Camera Obscura "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken" released on 7" in 2006 on Elefant Records the B Side is "I Can't Stay Mad At You"

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Spanish Castle Magic" from the album "Axis: Bold as Love" released in 1967 on Track/Polydor Records. As ever the drumming from Mitch Mitchell is excellent he was along with John Bonham one of the great innovative drummers, John Bonham though is THE best drummer ever apart from Buddy Rich.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Red House" from the album "Are You Experienced" released in 1967 on Track/Polydor Records. I notice that the American version of the album "Are You Experienced" did not have "Red House" on it, I think this because the Americans did not appreciate Blues Music like we Europeans did and do, perhaps not sure. I do know that for example Sonny Boy Williamson II, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Howlin Wolf, Jimmy Reed etc were basically unknown in America outside of Blues Clubs and Birdland in New York and in the late 1950s and in the 1960s toured extensively on my Continent were they were known more but again mainly by the Blues and Jazz Crowd as America was more interested in the Pop Music crap from The Beatles, Hermans Hermits etc

The European 1967 issue of "Are You Experienced" on Track/Polydor Records and "Red House" is track # 3 on Side I:

upload_2018-10-17_21-4-52.png

upload_2018-10-17_21-5-21.png

The American 1967 issue of "Are You Experienced?" with no "Red House" released on Reprise Records and I also notice that the American issue has a ? "Are You Experienced?" the European issue has no ? "Are You Experienced"

upload_2018-10-17_21-6-7.png

upload_2018-10-17_21-6-22.png

I know that probably only Pogo will think this as interesting as me, he's probably the only one here as obsessive as I am about these strange happenings like missing songs and missing ? from different issues of albums etc

WTF after all of my mental energy on ^^^^ I think it's time for Martini O'Clock :smoke:

Last edited:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Spanish Castle Magic" from the album "Axis: Bold as Love" released in 1967 on Track/Polydor Records. As ever the drumming from Mitch Mitchell is excellent he was along with John Bonham one of the great innovative drummers, John Bonham though is THE best drummer ever apart from Buddy Rich.

The Jimi Hendrix Experience "Red House" from the album "Are You Experienced" released in 1967 on Track/Polydor Records. I notice that the American version of the album "Are You Experienced" did not have "Red House" on it, I think this because the Americans did not appreciate Blues Music like we Europeans did and do, perhaps not sure. I do know that for example Sonny Boy Williamson II, Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Howlin Wolf, Jimmy Reed etc were basically unknown in America outside of Blues Clubs and Birdland in New York and in the late 1950s and in the 1960s toured extensively on my Continent were they were known more but again mainly by the Blues and Jazz Crowd as America was more interested in the Pop Music crap from The Beatles, Hermans Hermits etc

The European 1967 issue of "Are You Experienced" on Track/Polydor Records and "Red House" is track # 3 on Side I:

View attachment 223188

View attachment 223189

The American 1967 issue of "Are You Experienced?" with no "Red House" released on Reprise Records and I also notice that the American issue has a ? "Are You Experienced?" the European issue has no ? "Are You Experienced"

View attachment 223190

View attachment 223191

I know that probably only Pogo will think this as interesting as me, he's probably the only one here as obsessive as I am about these strange happenings like missing songs and missing ? from different issues of albums etc

WTF after all of my mental energy on ^^^^ I think it's time for Martini O'Clock :smoke:

^^^^ As I have mentioned a ? in my previous post then I suppose I should follow this with another ?

? and The Mysterians "Girl (You Captivate Me)" released on 7" in 1967 on Cameo Records the B Side is "Got To"

View attachment 223188

View attachment 223189

View attachment 223190

View attachment 223191

^^^^ As I have mentioned a ? in my previous post then I suppose I should follow this with another ?

? and The Mysterians "Girl (You Captivate Me)" released on 7" in 1967 on Cameo Records the B Side is "Got To"

The Sonics "Strychnine" from the album "Here Are The Sonics" released in 1965 on Etiquette Records.

^^^^ I have just played The Sonics "Strychnine" to Kid E age now 6 weeks in age she is now getting played the entire "Here Are The Sonics" LP, it's now time to introduce the new kidlet to correct music ie. ANYTHING NOT Pop Music, a parent has to get the kidlets at the youngest age involved, if not the FEAR they MIGHT outside the safety of the house by accident be subjected to something like Taylor Swift or The Beatles and they will be psychologically damaged forever.

View attachment 223188

View attachment 223189

View attachment 223190

View attachment 223191

Oosie, you have a point that the classic blues (and jazz) artists met in general a higher level of appreciation on the Continent than in their own continent here but the other factor is that US record companies traditionally employed a different standard for LP tracks; whereas the UK would normally feature seven tracks on a side, the US of the same period limited them to six. This is of course when music tracks were much more uniform and "six tracks" meant 20 minutes or less in total.

This was entirely out of greed, as the technology easily supports 30 minutes per side or more. In fact at one point I believe Capitol was able to release an additional Beatles album versus Parlophone's UK catalogue, simply because the US division had held several tracks back and they built up, unreleased.

This would be the primary reason "Red House" would have been kept off "Experienced" --- some pencil pusher thought he could make Warner more money by squeezing more LPs out.

Of course our entire conception that a "song" means more or less "three minutes" is entirely due to the earlier technology of the shellac 78rpm record, since that was about the limit of that technology. There's no cultural or attention-span reason a particular song should be limited to three minutes other than that, so that technology dictated that model.

It took me years to write it, they were the best years of my life
It was a beautiful song but it ran too long
If you're gonna have a hit you gotta make it fit
So they cut it down to 3:05 -- Billy Joel

All because of the limitations of the 78. As we found out when "Hey Jude" and MacArthur Park" came out, the 45 single was easily capable of seven minutes.

The shellac that made the 78s was derived from a resin secreted by a bug in southeast Asia.
But I digress...... :smoke:

View attachment 223188

View attachment 223189

View attachment 223190

View attachment 223191

Oosie, you have a point that the classic blues (and jazz) artists met in general a higher level of appreciation on the Continent than in their own continent here but the other factor is that US record companies traditionally employed a different standard for LP tracks; whereas the UK would normally feature seven tracks on a side, the US of the same period limited them to six. This is of course when music tracks were much more uniform and "six tracks" meant 20 minutes or less in total.

This was entirely out of greed, as the technology easily supports 30 minutes per side or more. In fact at one point I believe Capitol was able to release an additional Beatles album versus Parlophone's UK catalogue, simply because the US division had held several tracks back and they built up, unreleased.

This would be the primary reason "Red House" would have been kept off "Experienced" --- some pencil pusher thought he could make Warner more money by squeezing more LPs out.

Of course our entire conception that a "song" means more or less "three minutes" is entirely due to the earlier technology of the shellac 78rpm record, since that was about the limit of that technology. There's no cultural or attention-span reason a particular song should be limited to three minutes other than that, so that technology dictated that model.

All because of the limitations of the 78. As we found out when "Hey Jude" and MacArthur Park" came out, the 45 single was easily capable of seven minutes.

The shellac that made the 78s was derived from a resin secreted by a bug in southeast Asia.

Kid A aged 5 years in age and me decide that today Thursday today Thursday after lunch that we are going to play various records to Kid E, she is going to like this I think she enjoyed The Sonics LP she was making cute noises and laughing to herself, well I hope laughing to herself and NOT laughing at the record if it was that then she's going to have to be adopted, she will though get another opportunity to enjoy records today.

I'm thinking of playing Kid E Albert Ayler's "Spiritual Unity" LP but at age 6 weeks I think she is to young for this, so I will have to wait until she is older and mature to play her that Albert Ayler album, say when she's 6 MONTHS old I think she will take it in and appreciate that type of thing :smoke:

View attachment 223188

View attachment 223189

View attachment 223190

View attachment 223191

Kid A aged 5 years in age and me decide that today Thursday today Thursday after lunch that we are going to play various records to Kid E, she is going to like this I think she enjoyed The Sonics LP she was making cute noises and laughing to herself, well I hope laughing to herself and NOT laughing at the record if it was that then she's going to have to be adopted, she will though get another opportunity to enjoy records today.

I'm thinking of playing Kid E Albert Ayler's "Spiritual Unity" LP but at age 6 weeks I think she is to young for this, so I will have to wait until she is older and mature to play her that Albert Ayler album, say when she's 6 MONTHS old I think she will take it in and appreciate that type of thing :smoke:

When I was that age the records say (no pun intended) my boss fave was Tchaikovsky.

Forum List

Back