What Are You Buying For Christmas and How Are You Shopping?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Annie, Nov 27, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I probably bought about 1/4 of my purchases last year online. I think I'll buy even more this year. With free shipping and the deals, it's a no brainer to me. I've got to admit though, I tried to shop for a dishwasher, but that wouldn't work. From the pics and descriptions I couldn't tell if it had what I wanted:
    *silverware on door
    *easy moveable top rack-easy being the prime consideration.

With the age my children are and the limited number of 'outsiders' I have to buy for, online shopping will work for me.
    *cd's/dvds
    *computer software
    *books
    *purses
    *kitchen gadgets and small appliances

I'm not spending as much this year, one way to make sure I don't is to do it online. My only decision now is whether or not to get each gift wrapped or do it myself. :laugh:

2. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    most of the adults get the gift certificates because most of them already buy whatever they want anyway. Its too hard to buy for most of the adults because they have so much stuff, that we never know if they already have it, like DVDs and craft stuff.

My dad and step-mom are getting Vikings tix, providing I can still get them from a co-worker who's selling his seasonal tickets game by game. (not all my co-workers are completely useless)

kids are getting various books & games, my sisters are getting girly stuff from bath&body works.

I got Tim tickets to the one and only show the Trans-Siberian Orchestra is playing here in the cities this year, along with the box set of their CD's.

nathan got a toy that we had to pull him away from (kicking and screaming of course) last time we were at wal-mart. i also got him a new leap-pad story.

3. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    I'm getting very burned out with the pressure to 'spend, spend spend!' we see. I love capitalism, but really - this insane pressure put upon people to spend thousands and thousands each year on 'gifts' for their family is starting to wear on my nerves. Remember when Christmas was about (gasp!) hanging out w/ family and friends for a good time?

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Ya---That and the fact that bully has me so intimidated that I'm afraid to make any purchases this time of the year because it will mean that I don't pay any attention to the real meaning of Christmas. :rotflmao:

5. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    which is why i started MAKING some of my gifts rather than buying most of them. Last year, I made home-made candles for everyone, with different themes for each person's tastes. Most of the glassware I used was found at a thrift store for practically pennies. Like, my grandma collects coca-cola stuff, so I found some huge old fashioned coca-cola glasses, and mixed colored gel-wax to look brown like pop does, and used a cool-burning wick so she could use it. I made it smell like cherries, which was the closest of anything I could find to any pop-like scent. I give her free 'refills' any time she wants! Problem is, the candle-making gets kind of messy, and my son often has to be at grandma's before i can do it, because of the hot wax.

the year before, I made handmade soaps and bath stuff. this was more for the women/girls in my family because guys are more apt to use reg soap instead of perfumed glycerine soaps.

6. 007

007 Charter Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,237
    Had a brain storm this morning. The parents down in Phoenix have Dish Network for TV. They have the basic line up which does NOT include the Fox News Channel. My Paw the other night told me that Ma will sit and watch CNN for hours. He says he can't stand it, but she say's she wants to know what's going on. I can understand my mother's want to know what's going on, but my Dad and I both agree, her sitting and watching CNN is BAD! I can't hardly take LOOKING at that channel as I SURF PAST IT! Stinking liberal bull shit. So with the "big black X over the V.P.'s face" incident fresh in my mind, and now the firing of the CNN employee that said they were just expressing their freedom of speech, I called and offered to pay the difference in their monthly Dish bill INDEFINITELY for the upgrade to the next package that INCLUDES the Fox News Channel as my Christmas present to them.

They accepted, and should have the new programming turned on in a matter of minutes.

Life is good. :thup:

7. JOKER96BRAVO

JOKER96BRAVO Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +285
    It'll be a "cheap" Christmas around here.
    (Looking into owning a business)

8. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

I get both and to be honest...Fox news has been a little wishy washee as is CNN as of late...who can we trust anymore?

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Online for me whenever possible, which is about 99% of the time. I don't "shop" anyway really, I buy at the best price. If ya don't give me list, well you know.

10. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0

here is my wish list or gift of the day...beat Bonnies Split pea soup receipe!...I have a modest income and look for the gift that will help me get buy!...any suggestions minus sarcasim! :cheers2: