What An Eighth Grader Was Expected To Know In 1910

It's hard to keep scores up when 1/2 the kids in many schools don't even have parents that speak English.

100 years ago it was, you know, sort of expected that people living in the United States should be required to speak the same language.

I wonder how well internet warriors would do in teaching ESL students in elementary school.

Granted not everyone even went to school in the American 19th century but those who were fortunate enough to be educated for eight or twelve years were better informed than the dunces that come out of college today.

Just because you don't know the answers to the questions, don't assume the rest of us don't.

The test isn't difficult, and with the advances in science, and communications, in the last 100+ years, the scope of tests today is much wider.

It's hard to keep scores up when 1/2 the kids in many schools don't even have parents that speak English.

100 years ago it was, you know, sort of expected that people living in the United States should be required to speak the same language.

I wonder how well internet warriors would do in teaching ESL students in elementary school.

100 years ago there were people speaking all sorts of languages. With all the immigration it was hardly a given that everyone spoke English. Then as now, the second and third generations did.

100 years ago there were people speaking all sorts of languages. With all the immigration it was hardly a given that everyone spoke English. Then as now, the second and third generations did.

They learned English ASAP to compete in the boom of business and growth.

Things weren't translated for them.

They learned English quickly in order to achieve the American dream.

those tests are racist and biased. We're supposed to know about global warming, sex education and Heather has Two Mommies.

If you conclude that we're a nation of ignoramuses today, that's the same conclusion I drew.
Compared to what those kids had to know, we've certainly succeeded at only dumbing down the system over time. Do you really think 4,000,000 more teachers, or however many Obama deems fit to hire, will fix this? 300,000 of the new hires destined for rubber rooms?
My, what the teachers unions hath wrought.

What 8th-Graders Were Expected to Know in 1910 -- July 2004 Education Reporter

Looks suspiciously close to this.

snopes.com: 1895 Exam

Contrary to popular belief, Snopes is not always accurate. In fact, many times, they rely up unverified information, yet they never have conclusions that are "indeterminable" or "unknown." They just want to be know-it-alls and mark everything as true or false.

Last edited:
I mean we have such useful classes today. Communi...er history, sex ed....er gay studies, home ec(I say keep it to piss off the feminists) woodshop (too bad you cant beat freshmen with paddles anymore....ah...the good ole days)....and commie2...er social studies.....and math (hey outbound edumacation for the win!!!!!!!! 2+2=5 is acceptable, and gee I wonder why our students suck!)

In our capitalist society, women that look like her don't need no education.

I'm quite sure that she will live in the lap of luxury her whole life.

Education is a quantity that may be respected somewhat, but is only really needed by the workers. A highly educated slave may be a more valuable slave, but is still a slave.

Richard you used a double negative"DON'T need NO" which reads she needs an education!!!!

You should have written"look like her don't need to have an education"sorry to be picky but the rest of your comment was excellent. steve:cool:

She's an idiot, she sounds like liberals trying to explain geopolitics, it's hilarious. But she is fine, nothing wrong with that.

She's an idiot, she sounds like liberals trying to explain geopolitics, it's hilarious. But she is fine, nothing wrong with that.
Trust me, she's a republican from South Carolina.

I didnt say she wasnt, do I really have to explain? *shakes head*

I dont take beauty pagaent people seriously, do you? She makes more sense than Joey Behar or Jeanine Goraffolo though

I dont take beauty pagaent people seriously, do you? She makes more sense than Joey Behar or Jeanine Goraffolo though
Janeane Garofalo is smart, this South Carolina chick is dumb as a stump. I don't know anything about Joy Behar.

Janeane Garofalo is smart, this South Carolina chick is dumb as a stump. I don't know anything about Joy Behar.

Garofalo is not smart, maybe in an Art Bell, tin foil hat kind of way.

Forum List

Back