• Green

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • There are many more than I can reasonably add here

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cjcord

Oct 14, 2008
After reading quite a few threads on this forum, I was forced to ask myself where I would fit in.

I agree with some OP views, are against others, and think some are just silly. But in truth, I have never really given my political views great thought. I have always been one of those people who voted for whom they felt better for the job at that time, instead of being party aligned. My mother insists I'm a democrat. My husband calls me a republican. i just took an online quiz that said I was a Centrist. I think I may be confused.

After reading here, I think the members of USMB might be able to help me sort myself out. I wasn't sure where to place this, but seeing all of the ridiculous threads and polls started in this forum, I felt safe in doing it here :)

This isn't a joke poll. I'm really curious about this.

So here are some of my basic, inherent beliefs and views, feel free to comment or question as needed.

* I am pro choice
* I am an outspoken defender of GLBT rights
* I am against illegal immigrants receiving government assistance.
* I listen to Mike Savage alot, but am frequently turned off by his statements.
* I think military service should always be voluntary
* I think possession and illegal drug usage should STAY illegal
* I think the government spends too much money on the prison system
* I am for the death penalty for capital crimes
* I am an agnostic atheist
* I think the government as it stands is becoming far too big-brotherish
* But I am for more security cameras in public areas
* I think we completed what we needed to in Iraq, and should have left a long time ago
* The recent government bailouts disturb me, but I can't yet figure out WHY
* I am a defender of Muslims, but against extremists
* I prefer logic and evidence over "beliefs"
* I am against a national ID card

Ok, that should be a good start. Mods, feel free to move if this is in the incorrect place. TIA.

After reading quite a few threads on this forum, I was forced to ask myself where I would fit in.

I agree with some OP views, are against others, and think some are just silly. But in truth, I have never really given my political views great thought. I have always been one of those people who voted for whom they felt better for the job at that time, instead of being party aligned. My mother insists I'm a democrat. My husband calls me a republican. i just took an online quiz that said I was a Centrist. I think I may be confused.

After reading here, I think the members of USMB might be able to help me sort myself out. I wasn't sure where to place this, but seeing all of the ridiculous threads and polls started in this forum, I felt safe in doing it here :)

This isn't a joke poll. I'm really curious about this.

So here are some of my basic, inherent beliefs and views, feel free to comment or question as needed.

* I am pro choice
* I think we completed what we needed to in Iraq, and should have left a long time ago

Ok, that should be a good start. Mods, feel free to move if this is in the incorrect place. TIA.
I think you are centrist! ANd I think you should vote for whoever you want and don't feel the need to put yourself in one group.

I think you hold ideas that are possibly contradictory.

This may add to your confusion

well, for starters..

also

If you seek you shall understand and maybe clairfy your beliefs

* I am pro choice

No need to pigeon hole your philosophy under a banner or label. Be an Independent with leanings.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Truthmatters, I agree, I am seeking, that's part of why I am here:)
And Sho, I can see why you would think those contradictory, and i suppose they are, in principle, but I see the difference.

I think over-censoring and wire tapping and national ID cards complete with dna info or whatever else could be contained- is far over the line. But, I think having documentation in public areas in cases of crime and security to be a good thing.
So to me, it is not contradictory, but separated by degrees of monitoring.

I don't think one has much to do with the other unless is it clarified by saying the drug usage causes overspending in the prison system. Which I don't think it does. I think people being arrested and imprisoned for white collar crimes to be a ridiculous expense. I think people being kept on death row for 40 years to be a ridiculous expense. I think keeping juvies in jail because the courts don't know what else to do with them to be an absurd expense. Now if the prisons were kept only for violent crimes and repeat offenders/drug crimes, I think prison expenses would be cut down considerably. I think keeping illegal aliens in our jails instead of sending them back to their home countries to be an EXTREMELY ridiculous expense. I happen to believe in other rehabilitation techniques aside from prison for the appropriate offenses.

But I do agree with you all, especially those who feel labels are not key. I just hear so many people claim this ideology or the other, I wondered where I might fit in, and since I claim no expertise in political matters, where better to find out these things than here?:)

our prisons are overcrowded because of the mass prosecution of marijauna users.

If pot was legal and taxed to the heavens it would be cheaper and a great burden would be off our police, courts and prisons.

Thank you. By your rep alone I can take that at face value and believe it is most likely true...but I still hold firm to the view that legalizing drugs would not be the best solution. Not all drugs are as harmless as weed. I think I am afraid that to OK one, would lead to leniency on the others. And with two kids of my own, I don't see that as a good thing.

thank you... as I said in my original post..
i just took an online quiz that said I was a Centrist. I think I may be confused.

Read man, read... :D I'm confused. That's why I asked for help. The online quizzes don't offer that.

alcohol is a drug, you know. tobacco contains nicotine; a drug. removing the potheads from prison will alleviate a significant cost to tax payers. Think on this: there has never been a marijuana overdose. How many people die each year of alcohol poisoning?

Last edited:
I completely agree. alcohol and Nicotine are legalized drugs. Marijuana is not addictive or, in most cases, harmful. But my own personal experience reminds me that teenagers can do some stupid shit on weed and alcohol. It is illegal for them to obtain alcohol and nicotine, it should be illegal for them to obtain weed too. But my fear lies in other drugs. Opiates, meth, designer drugs. Those are harmful. I can easily forsee a generation of young people whining "but it's legal! If it's legal, I can do it!" because that's what they say. It becomes a very slippery slope. First weed, then coke, then heroin...if you allow one, eventually, you have to allow the others.

Forum List

Back