What About Jim Smith?

So for the record, you are totally down with the government mandating the purchase of products or services under threat of penalty if you don't whether you desire or need them?

Are those goalposts heavy?

I wouldn't know, they are fixed in the ground. Now if you guys will get off the tennis court and over on the gridiron we can finally play some football.

Still waiting for you to answer my question. You said you would explain it to me, but I haven't seen anything from you yet.

So it's Universal Health Care or you advocate letting people die in the streets? See... here's the problem...

They cant think critically. Either that, or they are notorious liars. Because if false dichotemies are the extent of their argument, they can only be doing one of the two.

Speaking of not thinking critically, why didn't you answer my question about how you would pay for your medical costs when you didn't have insurance.

With money, of course.

And they got the gall to call themselves Christians.

Could you point to any Christian teaching, whether in the Bible or elsewhere, that indicates that we are supposed to be irresponsible and take money through the force of Ceasar to enslave our fellow man?

Could you be any more dramatic?

Well, he (she?) got pretty dramatic accusing me of wanting to end the ptroleum industry and put its thousands of workers out of a job when I merely pointed out the Gulf businesses that the BP spill ruined, so I guess the answer is...

...yeah. ;)

And they got the gall to call themselves Christians.

Could you point to any Christian teaching, whether in the Bible or elsewhere, that indicates that we are supposed to be irresponsible and take money through the force of Ceasar to enslave our fellow man?

You want dramatic? How about this:

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

$131,471 owed by each and every taxpayer. Now that's good drama!!!

And how much of that is as a result of the Iraq and Afghanistan fiascos and every other ill-conceived military escapade since the end of WWII?

The scenario was cancer treatment... I'm sure a simple google search will find oither medical bill assistance...

So why do you basically dismiss those fine charitable organizations currently providing assistance to the Jim Smiths of America?

"Discounts are given on a sliding scale, typically covering between 20 to 60 percent of the billed amount"

Even in the best case scenario, charities will still leave you with 40% of the bill to pay. If you can't afford health insurance to begin with how will you be able to pay 40% of 200k or more?

I'm still waiting to hear real world solutions. Something that not one of you can provide.

Hoe Lee Fuk

Those aren't "real world solutions" to HELP pay for medical bills?...:eusa_hand:

Even under your "mandate utopia" Jim Smith isn't going to be covered 100%...

Somehow, Jimbo is going to have to dip into other sources...

So Charities should cover the millions of people who can't afford health insurance? That's your solution? Bwahahahahahaha! Why doesn't everyone drop their insurance then and just rely on charities picking up any and all of their medical costs. You make it seem like it's so easy and readily available. If that's your solution for 30 million plus people, fuck it, let's all do it. Apparently "charities" are the perfect solution.

So whats your point then? :confused:

It wasn't pre-existing conditions, now was it?

Look back and if you're still stuck I'll help you out...

Go ahead, help me out. The last guy I took up on his offer bailed out on me. So please don't let me down.

Which part of my post has you confused? Here, I'll repost it:

Why add the words "will never need"? How about they pay for healthcare when they want to or feel they might use it instead?

And how much of that is as a result of the Iraq and Afghanistan fiascos and every other ill-conceived military escapade since the end of WWII?

Not as much as Medicare but fundamentally, I agree with you. As a Classical Liberal, I'm against the extent to which we've engaged in military interventionism. That doesn't make all the other unconstitutional debt spending acceptable.

So Charities should cover the millions of people who can't afford health insurance? That's your solution? Bwahahahahahaha! Why doesn't everyone drop their insurance then and just rely on charities picking up any and all of their medical costs. You make it seem like it's so easy and readily available. If that's your solution for 30 million plus people, fuck it, let's all do it. Apparently "charities" are the perfect solution.

No, you're right... Fuck the charities... They all suck...

What was I thinking...

I don't understand. Please explain to me in simpler terms why you are against solving a problem facing the country today based upon the fear of an absurd problem that will never actually happen one day down the road. Go ahead and break it down for me.

So for the record, you are totally down with the government mandating the purchase of products or services under threat of penalty if you don't whether you desire or need them?

For the record, I understand why the mandate is in place for health insurance. Do I blindly now support mandates for anything and everything? Of course not, but I have a nasty habit of evaluating things on their own merit and using my brain to do a bit of critical thinking and making decisions on a case by case basis.

So, when are you going to break it down for me? You said you would if I asked. I'm still waiting but strangely enough you are avoiding coming through on your promise.

I understand why some feel a legislated mandate is needed. I'm a compassionate person and want to see people get the care they need too. That being said, you can't just toss the constitution aside whenever you feel like it to solve a problem. The problem has to be solved in a manner that is constitutional. Do you rob a bank when you need money or do you go about it in a more legal manner? See, this isn't hard. Constitutionally, you can not mandate that citizens buy a product, whether it be apples/healthcare or oranges/cars regardless of how righteous you feel your casue is.

They cant think critically. Either that, or they are notorious liars. Because if false dichotemies are the extent of their argument, they can only be doing one of the two.

Speaking of not thinking critically, why didn't you answer my question about how you would pay for your medical costs when you didn't have insurance.

With money, of course.

LOL. Great answer. Now I know why you ignored me in the first place. You have no answer.

Ok, break down what kind of payments you would make on a 200k hospital bill? How much would you pay each month until it is paid off? Specifically how much per month?

Go ahead, help me out. The last guy I took up on his offer bailed out on me. So please don't let me down.

Why add the words "will never need"? How about they pay for healthcare when they want to or feel they might use it instead?

Can't have any of that.

For the record, I understand why the mandate is in place for health insurance. Do I blindly now support mandates for anything and everything? Of course not, but I have a nasty habit of evaluating things on their own merit and using my brain to do a bit of critical thinking and making decisions on a case by case basis.

So, when are you going to break it down for me? You said you would if I asked. I'm still waiting but strangely enough you are avoiding coming through on your promise.

I understand why some feel a legislated mandate is needed. I'm a compassionate person and want to see people get the care they need too. That being said, you can't just toss the constitution aside whenever you feel like it to solve a problem. The problem has to be solved in a manner that is constitutional. Do you rob a bank when you need money or do you go about it in a more legal manner? See, this isn't hard. Constitutionally, you can not mandate that citizens buy a product, whether it be apples/healthcare or oranges/cars regardless of how righteous you feel your casue is.

So I take it you were in favor of the public option then?

Oh and thanks for the response, but none of that addresses that your fear scenario is completely based on nothing.

Last edited:

With money, of course.

LOL. Great answer. Now I know why you ignored me in the first place. You have no answer.

Ok, break down what kind of payments you would make on a 200k hospital bill? How much would you pay each month until it is paid off? Specifically how much per month?

Well, that would more than likely depend on a number of factors.... don't you think? Oh that's right...

:lol:

What was I thinking...

Nice straw man.

You're not making any sense. I honestly don't know what point you're trying to make.

What was I thinking...

? Are you saying that charities are the perfect solution and should be expected to cover everyone in need?

Or was your use of sarcasm your cute way of avoiding actually addressing the gaping hole in your so called "plan"?

I don't understand. Please explain to me in simpler terms why you are against solving a problem facing the country today based upon the fear of an absurd problem that will never actually happen one day down the road. Go ahead and break it down for me.

Depends on the good/service. Auto insurance mandates are ok, for example.

Now what about this car question you keep dodging?

So you're going to play the stoopid game too? 10 years ago, who would have ever thought Congress would pass a law forcing Americans to purchase a product......any product.....for any reason? If they can do it with healthcare, why not something else that our nany state deems we need? I chose a car out of the air. It could just as easily be an insurance policy to pay for your funeral. You know, there are a lot of people who can't pay for those either. Expand your timy mind a little to understand the discussion at hand. Regardless of whether you think everyone has a "right" to healthcare, is it constitutional to mandate citizens purchase it or face a fine?

Forum List

Back