What a difference a week makes

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
Last week at this time it was snowing, wind blowing like hell, and blue ass cold.....Now it's 77 out with a light north wind.

Welcome to Virginia winter weather.....Small wonder the CSA and USA Armies went into winter quarters this time of year back then.

They claim that when the armies went to winter quarters there wasn't hardly a tree left standing for miles.

03888v-jpg.6414

It's astounding, the level of abject misery those poor men were put through.

I was thinking that warring tribes of the earliest Americans were also in winter quarters, the real issue for many of them was just surviving the winter outdoors and having enough food from foraging and preserving and smoking to last you through the winter. I try and remember this when bitching about it being -11 outside during the day, as it was 10 days ago.

You might remember a line in the Ken Burns Civil War series when it spoke of men in winter quarters being called out in the morning that their coughs would drown out everything else.

You might remember a line in the Ken Burns Civil War series when it spoke of men in winter quarters being called out in the morning that their coughs would drown out everything else.
Living in the inland NW, we experienced -17 about a week ago and I was trying to relate the experiences of Lewis and Clark and their winters in this area to my third grade grand daughter. Standing out there in that weather, I found a new appreciation for just how tough those men and women were.

Living in the inland NW, we experienced -17 about a week ago and I was trying to relate the experiences of Lewis and Clark and their winters in this area to my third grade grand daughter. Standing out there in that weather, I found a new appreciation for just how tough those men and women were.
The Mandan of North Dakota put them up their first winter, the braves thought they would get power from the white men if they let them sleep with their wives, so many of the expedition were also dealing with venereal disease.

Forum List

Back