We've all done the political compass for us...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by DiamondDave, Feb 14, 2012.

1. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Most of us have completed the political compass test and shown others where we stand on those axes...

I am actually curious as to where you think or know your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/significant-other stands and what you think about it.. how you get along with it... and what political conversation is like

Some who know me better on here know I am getting married again in April... I am pretty sure many would think I am marrying some strict conservative woman... Well, it's actually not that way at all... In the last election, my fiancee was actually an Obama voter (gasp)... While we have not sat and had her do the political compass test, we're going to do that one night after she gets off work just to see the difference on the grid of where we stand...

I can say, that since we have been together, I fully believe she is still socially liberal, moreso than me, on things such as 'gay marriage'... though she is very in tune with my stance of getting government out of marriage... she is going more along the lines of smaller government and I would almost say she is turning more libertarian than liberal... a social liberal who embraces flat tax and hates that government spends her tax dollars for people (even ones in her extended family) that draw more out of the system while putting nothing in...

But even with political differences, we agree on most of the big things and love being together.. showing that differing political stances can get along just fine

I'd love to hear what others in here have in their situations

2. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    My SO is a fiscal conservative (like me), and a tad more socially conservative. I bully him relentlessly until he caves to my opinions. :lmao: This is somewhat unique for him, since as a US Army Officer, he is used to getting shit his way.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    So CG... like the fact that you're with a fellow soldier... but an officer? Jeez.. I thought better of you ;) j/k

So when you say more socially conservative... in what way? What does he think about the stances where you differ??

4. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    My GF is a lolberal by todays standard. Whenever a political convo arises I here a lot of the cliches that always arise. In most cases, because I've spent so much time studying politics present and past, she tends to cave to my views once i make clear how they work.

That's sort of the crux with todays lolberals. They really truly don't understand how some things work. In particular, economics.

5. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Me and my hubby agree on almost everything poltical.

6. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    Well.. I see I am not the only one with differences politically in the household, TASB.. any more??

Figured this would be a pretty interesting topic for discussion

7. TakeAStepBack

TakeAStepBack Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,012
    You mean any more things lolberals of today truly don't understand?

If so, then yes.

Most of all, they do not understand individual liberty and responsibility. Nor do they understand that nothing is "free". Yet chant the mantras (my GF included) that education should be free, healthcare free, etc....It's a facepalmer, but slowly, I'm eating out the heart of her illusion and she's coming around.

8. del

del BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,885
    he's a four star?

9. BluePhantom

BluePhantom Educator (of liberals)

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,137
    I have some experience in this. My first wife was a flaming liberal when we married. Our divorce had nothing to do with our political leanings. In that regard we disagreed and frequently debated but when we found something that was simply "too hot" we left that issue alone. It's worth nothing that by the time we divorced she had become a Republican so we didn't argue so much on politics anymore.

My current wife is a very strict conservative and while I am strongly conservative in regards to economics and foreign policy, I tend to be more liberal on many social issues (abortion, gay marriage, etc). Honestly the way we deal with this is a little intimate, but let's just say that nothing turns us on like a good fiery debate so after a passionate argument on abortion, for example, we....uh......"find a healthy way to release our aggression". :lol:

Seriously though, we try to focus upon where we do agree and base our relationship on those things instead of where we don't.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. DiamondDave

DiamondDave Army Vet

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,816
    BP.. I think that is key... while my fiancee and I do talk about a few things of contention over a beer or wine... we do also try and concentrate on things we do agree on