We've all done the political compass for us...

DiamondDave

Army Vet
Jun 30, 2008
MD, on the Potomac River
Most of us have completed the political compass test and shown others where we stand on those axes...

I am actually curious as to where you think or know your wife/husband/boyfriend/girlfriend/significant-other stands and what you think about it.. how you get along with it... and what political conversation is like

Some who know me better on here know I am getting married again in April... I am pretty sure many would think I am marrying some strict conservative woman... Well, it's actually not that way at all... In the last election, my fiancee was actually an Obama voter (gasp)... While we have not sat and had her do the political compass test, we're going to do that one night after she gets off work just to see the difference on the grid of where we stand...

I can say, that since we have been together, I fully believe she is still socially liberal, moreso than me, on things such as 'gay marriage'... though she is very in tune with my stance of getting government out of marriage... she is going more along the lines of smaller government and I would almost say she is turning more libertarian than liberal... a social liberal who embraces flat tax and hates that government spends her tax dollars for people (even ones in her extended family) that draw more out of the system while putting nothing in...

But even with political differences, we agree on most of the big things and love being together.. showing that differing political stances can get along just fine

I'd love to hear what others in here have in their situations

My SO is a fiscal conservative (like me), and a tad more socially conservative. I bully him relentlessly until he caves to my opinions. :lmao: This is somewhat unique for him, since as a US Army Officer, he is used to getting shit his way.

So CG... like the fact that you're with a fellow soldier... but an officer? Jeez.. I thought better of you ;) j/k

So when you say more socially conservative... in what way? What does he think about the stances where you differ??

My GF is a lolberal by todays standard. Whenever a political convo arises I here a lot of the cliches that always arise. In most cases, because I've spent so much time studying politics present and past, she tends to cave to my views once i make clear how they work.

That's sort of the crux with todays lolberals. They really truly don't understand how some things work. In particular, economics.

Well.. I see I am not the only one with differences politically in the household, TASB.. any more??

Figured this would be a pretty interesting topic for discussion

TASB.. any more??

You mean any more things lolberals of today truly don't understand?

If so, then yes.

Most of all, they do not understand individual liberty and responsibility. Nor do they understand that nothing is "free". Yet chant the mantras (my GF included) that education should be free, healthcare free, etc....It's a facepalmer, but slowly, I'm eating out the heart of her illusion and she's coming around.

I have some experience in this. My first wife was a flaming liberal when we married. Our divorce had nothing to do with our political leanings. In that regard we disagreed and frequently debated but when we found something that was simply "too hot" we left that issue alone. It's worth nothing that by the time we divorced she had become a Republican so we didn't argue so much on politics anymore.

My current wife is a very strict conservative and while I am strongly conservative in regards to economics and foreign policy, I tend to be more liberal on many social issues (abortion, gay marriage, etc). Honestly the way we deal with this is a little intimate, but let's just say that nothing turns us on like a good fiery debate so after a passionate argument on abortion, for example, we....uh......"find a healthy way to release our aggression". :lol:

Seriously though, we try to focus upon where we do agree and base our relationship on those things instead of where we don't.

BP.. I think that is key... while my fiancee and I do talk about a few things of contention over a beer or wine... we do also try and concentrate on things we do agree on

CG... c'mon.. you know a spouse inherently outranks the soldier by one rank :)

Funny, he says much the same.... usually after I have torn his argument to shreds though. But... thinking about it.... he's clearly on the upside of the learning curve because he's more moderate than he was. :lol:

I've dated liberals in the past. Sooner or later, though, it did not work out. I just couldn't stand their opinions and I especially hated their musical tastes. I detest Melissa Etheridge, and I actually left a woman because she played Willie Nelson for five minutes longer than I could take.

I've also had relationships with the occasional redneck and the results were the same. But I must say that rednecks are far, far more fun in bed than liberals.

Especially the ones that are batshit crazy.

But hanging around insane women does take a toll on you after a while.

I like a good, modern, sensible, conservative woman now. Someone who rode the crazy train in the past like me, and then grew up. Perfect.

Last edited:
I don't have a spouse, but I do have a business partner who has some drastically different political views, especially about the military. I have learned to tune him out when he takes off on one of his rants. It helps to be "hard of hearing". I know he tunes me out, too, so I guess we're even. I do find myself sometimes wishing that we could get married so I could file for divorce and split the business property. As it is, he won't buy me out, won't let me buy him out, and he stonewalls all my plans for growing the business because he is absolutely terrified of the risk. Oh, well, this too will pass...

I was closest to Ghandi.

My GF is right there as well.

As she said about Iraq and Afghanistan, "Why are they spending all that money over there, when people need help over here."

God bless her.

Last edited:
I've dated liberals in the past. Sooner or later, though, it did not work out. I just couldn't stand their opinions and I especially hated their musical tastes. I detest Melissa Etheridge, and I actually left a woman because she played Willie Nelson for five minutes longer than I could take.

I've also had relationships with the occasional redneck and the results were the same. But I must say that rednecks are far, far more fun in bed than liberals.

Especially the ones that are batshit crazy.

But hanging around insane women does take a toll on you after a while.

I like a good, modern, sensible, conservative woman now. Someone who rode the crazy train in the past like me, and then grew up. Perfect.

Well.. I won't go on about t he music, as we're in different universes when it comes to that..

But I like someone who has some differences... but, while my fiancee used to be the rabid liberal.. she's now getting older and sees that priorities are different, wisdom has come in to play, and looking just beyond the emotional liberalism has brought her to some stark realities, especially with taxation, government expense, etc...

I don't have a spouse, but I do have a business partner who has some drastically different political views, especially about the military. I have learned to tune him out when he takes off on one of his rants. It helps to be "hard of hearing". I know he tunes me out, too, so I guess we're even. I do find myself sometimes wishing that we could get married so I could file for divorce and split the business property. As it is, he won't buy me out, won't let me buy him out, and he stonewalls all my plans for growing the business because he is absolutely terrified of the risk. Oh, well, this too will pass...

Well.. I certainly do not tune out my fiancee, even when we have a drastic difference in view... but then again, I may be in the minority with this behavior.. LOL

My wife and I are fairly close to one another on most things, but she flatly endorses universal marriage and wants to see civil unions replace the governmental functions of marriage.

My wife and I are fairly close to one another on most things, but she flatly endorses universal marriage and wants to see civil unions replace the governmental functions of marriage.

Well.. my fiancee was all in support of the gay marriage proposals... until we talked more and I explained my stance of getting government out of marriage except for governmental things such as taxation, inheritance, etc (as I have explained many times)... now she shares the belief that who you love and partner with is a freedom we all have, and that government forced recognition or acceptance does nothing but add more government... having the freedom to be with whomever is of the same importance of having the freedom to be accepting or even a bigot... we may not like it, but it comes inherently with that freedom... she pondered that for a long while... and while she is very accepting with her views on homosexuals, she realizes now that the legislation and 'movement' is not about the freedom

Forum List

Back