Well that's the American Stupid Way or a liberal jury for you.

Welcome to American juries trying to send a message, a 23 billion dollar one in this case. That happens when you lie for decades even though the truth is both obvious and well-known. Notice that the alcohol manufactures don't have this issue eh...

Good point.

Remember that Jeffrey Wigands, who was an exec with Reynolds (or one of them) blew the whistle on the big tobacco companies in 1999 which exposed their lies before the Congressional hearing. His life was threatened when he came forward. That's just how bad Big Tobacco is.

Funny thing, many in my family smoked and chewed tobacco, into their 90's, none had any adverse effects from using..

My grandfather smoked two packs a day for 60 years and was a severe alcoholic and he lived to be 85.

Gee, isn't that special.

"""Tobacco use remains the single largest preventable cause of death and disease in the United States. Cigarette smoking kills more than 480,000 Americans each year, with more than 41,000 of these deaths from exposure to secondhand smoke.

In addition, smoking-related illness in the United States costs more than $289 billion a year, including at least $133 billion in direct medical care for adults and $156 billion in lost productivity.1"""

CDC - Cigarette Smoking in the United States - Data and Statistics on Smoking - Campaign Resources - Tips From Former Smokers - Smoking & Tobacco Use

Who? $23 billion awards. Only fools dare defend that.
It's a the message sent by one jury. Relax Chicken Little, the world isn't coming to an end.

And if you are tired of a victim society, then stop playing one but there are some real ones so don't deny that there aren't any.

chapter%20018%20e.jpg

Now that's just utter nonsense. Try again please...

No, not nonsense, it's a matter perspective.

A pack of smokes cost around 5 bucks, around 3-4 dollars of that is taxes. Seems to me that the government is making quite a killing :lol: off of smokers. Much more than tobacco companies ever have.
Where did you pull the numbers from, out of your ass as usual? That's just more utter nonsense. No wonder you guys can't deal with reality, you don't know what it is.

He's saying there's a 60-80% tax on cigarettes?

I do know that homeowners will love it when the government finally abolishes smoking.

There tax bill will almost double. After all, the homeowner is the real taxpayer in this country, everyone else just gives a little here and there. :D

Offset that with lower Medicare taxes for treating all of the chronic diseases caused by smoking.

Now that's just utter nonsense. Try again please...

A pack of smokes cost around 5 bucks, around 3-4 dollars of that is taxes. Seems to me that the government is making quite a killing :lol: off of smokers. Much more than tobacco companies ever have.
Where did you pull the numbers from, out of your ass as usual? That's just more utter nonsense. No wonder you guys can't deal with reality, you don't know what it is.

The feds get $1.01 per pack and here in TX they add another $1.41, then they charge a 8.25% sales tax on it all. If you buy off brand smokes more than half the cost is taxes. Other States have much higher State taxes, the top is NY at $4.35.

The feds get $1.01 per pack and here in TX they add another $1.41, then they charge a 8.25% sales tax on it all. If you buy off brand smokes more than half the cost is taxes. Other States have much higher State taxes, the top is NY at $4.35.

Great. Now show where the government gets more than the tobacco companies do?

I just did you ignorant ass, more than 50% taxes, then store profits, transportation and what's left goes to the company after they pay production and packaging cost. If you think I'm wrong come up with numbers and prove it.

Edit: The smokes I buy cost $42.21 per carton, 27.44 of that total is federal, state and local taxes, you tell me, are taxes more than half?

Last edited:

I just did you ignorant ass, more than 50% taxes, then store profits, transportation and what's left goes to the company after they pay production and packaging cost. If you think I'm wrong come up with numbers and prove it.

I'm still waiting to see your numbers? So far you can't do math. Picking one high-tax state and saying see see, is not showing the numbers. The number is a simple one BTW, who made more money, the companies or the governments?

See if this helps: http://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/2010/06/22/how-much-is-the-government-making-off-of-tobacco/

But bring us the numbers please. TY.

Last edited:
It's a the message sent by one jury. Relax Chicken Little, the world isn't coming to an end.

And if you are tired of a victim society, then stop playing one but there are some real ones so don't deny that there aren't any.

Your answer speaks only of your ego. You cannot stand to admit you are wrong, apparently.

The fact that I find these settlements outrageous, which only encourages more victim lawsuits and more lawyer money grabs, is not reason for me to issue a complaint, is that it? You want me to just sit back and let the smelly lawyers, and self serving govt officials, and liberal movers and shakers have their way on this because it is not a matter of the world coming to an end?

Thanks. We need more concerned altruistic citizens like you to keep the country on its degenerate course.

Your answer speaks only of your ego. You cannot stand to admit you are wrong, apparently.

The fact that I find these settlements outrageous, which only encourages more victim lawsuits and more lawyer money grabs, is not reason for me to issue a complaint, is that it? .......

I don't think you are aware of how many potential lawsuits are turned down by litigators.

Also, the fine has to fit the crime. It's not about making the plaintiffs wealthy, it's about punishing the defendant for deliberating lying to Congress about the addictiveness of nicotine and it's potential for causing terminal illnesses.

But hey, the big banks paying measly fines for mortgage fraud love stupid people like you, if that's any comfort.

Latest figures I could find on the tax is $3.75 at the high end (New York) and $1.07 at the low end (South Carolina). The Federal tax is right at a dollar.

Welcome to American juries trying to send a message, a 23 billion dollar one in this case. That happens when you lie for decades even though the truth is both obvious and well-known. Notice that the alcohol manufactures don't have this issue eh...

Only a moron doesn't know that inhaling smoke is bad for you... you know, folks like you that need warnings on motor oil that state "this is not a food product".

:lol:

I'm still waiting to see your numbers? So far you can't do math. Picking one high-tax state and saying see see, is not showing the numbers. The number is a simple one BTW, who made more money, the companies or the governments?

See if this helps: How Much is the Government Making Off of Tobacco? | Tax Break: The TurboTax Blog

I see you missed my edit, care to try again? Actually TX ranks 25th in cigarette taxes, so it not the top by far.

The fact that I find these settlements outrageous, which only encourages more victim lawsuits and more lawyer money grabs, is not reason for me to issue a complaint, is that it? You want me to just sit back and let the smelly lawyers, and self serving govt officials, and liberal movers and shakers have their way on this because it is not a matter of the world coming to an end?

Thanks. We need more concerned altruistic citizens like you to keep the country on its degenerate course.

We're all pretty much convinced that that one's a chronic drug abuser who is functioning off what's left of a brain stem.

Only a moron doesn't know that inhaling smoke is bad for you... you know, folks like you that need warnings on motor oil that state "this is not a food product".

:lol:

Folks like me know that plenty of your fellow citizens need to be reminded not to take their hairdryers into the bathtub with them, and we wish that you'd stop doing such a thing and let nature take its course.

See if this helps: How Much is the Government Making Off of Tobacco? | Tax Break: The TurboTax Blog

I see you missed my edit, care to try again? Actually TX ranks 25th in cigarette taxes, so it not the top by far.
You mentioned NY. Carry on,

And why are you having such trouble with this simple number?

You mentioned NY. Carry on,

And why are you having such trouble with this simple number?

Why are you having so much trouble finding current data, I showed you an example where taxes are 65% of my cost of cigarettes, how much of that remaining 35% do you think the company gets? My number come from a June 2014 report.

Fact Sheets: U.S. State and Local Taxes - Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids

Download the 11th PDF file and you'll see where I got my numbers.

Forum List

Back