Welfare

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by HOLTANEK, Apr 19, 2011.

1. HOLTANEK

HOLTANEK Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I guess this is as good a place as any to post my question. I recently had a discussion with an african american woman, (im a white guy), regarding the current state of the black community, especially how it's become so crime ridden and desolate. She stated that the welfare system started the decline due to the fact that when welfare came out, it was strictly for mothers and their children, and if there WAS a father involved, he had to "leave" or else welfare wouldnt be granted. In other words, welfare caused the abundance of "welfare queens" , "fathers" being absent, and how this trend still influences todays black youth leaving home at around 18 years old. Now if this is truly fact, I can remotely see how this policy would create the current situation, but everyone tends to see reality differently. Please, I dont want to hear from white power goofs, racists, etc, you can just keep to your sad fantasies. I'm just trying to become a better person and understand the social implications and/or reasons for social circumstances.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    There comes a day in everyones life when you must take responsibility for their own actions.

I dont buy into the excuse that its "the mans" fault. Those days are LONG gone.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,952
    If you see blacks as you're equal, you can't blame welfare.

4. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    /\ Sorry about that HOLTANEK.... /\

5. Intense

Intense Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,863
    The more Socialized we become, the more reliant on the Collective. The Male Provider, the Individual plays a lesser role.

6. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    IN my opinion, welfare ( or entitlement programs ) ended the black family unit, and also the white ones.

7. Lasher

Lasher BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The family unit is still there, they just deny the man is around. These people have lived off 'the system' for decades, and know exactly how to milk it.

8. HOLTANEK

HOLTANEK Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're absolutely right. It's easy to blame your troubles on some outside influences, especially "The Man", And if those that claim racism would spend their time making something of themselves instead this would be a much better place. It seems that my attempts to "understand" the blacks better just keeps coming back to reality. I realise that myself as well as my black lady friend are always going to see things from our own individual perspectives. I guess I was searching for some unseen real reason for the vast differences, but I've been finding that our perceptions,beliefs,are 'real" in our own minds and nothing is going to change that.

9. HOLTANEK

HOLTANEK Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Exactly!! I'm not trying to "blame" anyone, but it appears that whites will NEVER be seen in an honest way by blacks.

10. HOLTANEK

HOLTANEK Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No problem, I'm still trying to figure this all out. Hey, I'm a 57 year old white guy with all the bias's and opinions that have been with me my whole life. It seems that in my attempts to "understand" the black problem, my original thoughts still prenail.