Weight Discrimination

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by mudwhistle, Sep 18, 2010.

1. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,176
    Couple of questions for posters:

Does anyone here feel self-conscience about their weight and finds that acceptance from others is not easily forthcoming?

People tend to feel that fat people are lazy and less healthy so does this cause them to look down on people deemed obese? Family members can be the toughest. You're not making the grade because you're fat and withdrawn from all of the years of criticism. Has anyone here had to deal with this personally or with family or friends?

Do you find it hard not to laugh as someone with a butt that moves like two gophers in a gunny-sack? Do you assume that fat people are a good key to where to eat if you want it cheap and plentiful? Did you make fun of the fat girl in high school?

Two people apply for a job. One is average looking and has decent qualifications and another has excellent qualifications....but he or she is overweight. Whom would you hire? The one with the Bachelors of Science degree and seems to have good eating habits or the one with the Masters and loves food and shows it? What if they had similar qualifications? Whom would you hire?

I see no special interest groups out there to protect the rights of the obese. It seems that nobody wants to take up that cause. But I think it's no different from any other form of discrimination.

2. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    I love fat girls!!! Heat in the winter and shade in the summer...

3. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,176
    Thanks for the input...but this is kind of what I was talking about.

I know a bunch of fat jokes but I really wanted a thoughtful discussion on the issue.

The reason is I have several friends dealing with it now.

I love fat women...and women that have big asses.

I guess I like all kinds. Who knows why we like what we see. Perhaps it's something to do with roundness or looking healthy. There has been research on why some shapes are pleasing to the eye and others aren't. Maybe it's nature. Who knows.

I like a woman with big meaty thighs and big calves. Why is that? What I find appealing may not be what others find appealing. Some women like a body-builder's build but others like somebody like Brad Pitt. Who knows why. But if you owned a business would you have reservations on hiring someone who's overweight? Is health care the reason or is it because you think they might be lazy?

I know I'm all over the place on this topic but I just wanted to know what people are thinking.

4. ForestGirl

ForestGirl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +39
    A HUGE percentage of fat people are fat because of their eating choices and lifestyle choices. Any private sector company should be able to hire whoever the HELL they want. Many are diabetics due to their eating choices. They then consume a great percent of the healthcare resources. Bottom line, fat American's need to point the finger in the right direction, GO ON A DIET and JOIN A HEALTH CLUB.

5. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I would go with the candidate who is better qualified. Period.

However, if they were equally qualified and personable, I would likely go with the one who was not fat.

6. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0&ob=av3e]YouTube - Queen - 'Fat Bottomed Girls'[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. Valerie

Valerie Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,295

Easy, the one with excellent qualifications!

8. code1211

code1211 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +845

I've never had a problem with carrying too much weight. As I've aged, I now seem to have a tendency toward a spare tire, but that's not what we are talking about.

I did smoke for about 30 years. I was finally able to quit about 5 years (?) ago.I am now a recovering smoker and happy about it. Not a born again virgin and not at all concerned about thesmoking habits of others.

However-

My experience as a smoker in the years around 2000 revealed to me much discrimination from thse who had no stake in my smoking and I think this might relate to obese folks and the way that society treats them. Condemnin glances and so on.

Sharing a confined space with a smoker or an obese person draws the same vitriol. Being in the center seat on an airplane between two obese folks or smokers provides for me now similar annoyance.

Hiring a smoker or an obese person? Both represent life style choices and habits that may or may not affect productivity but would certainly have an impact on healthcare costs to the group insurance in the long run. That aside, though, any hiring would be based on the qualifications and my perception of how they would personnally interact with the rest of the work force.

9. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I judge people by the content of their character. Not the color or amount of their skin.

But I have a soft spot in my heart for fat children. No one gets bullied more.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. saveliberty

saveliberty Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,877
    Depends, I don't want the fat waitress sneaking my fries. They're mine!