We Should Elect a Governor to the White House?

So far, the most effective chief executives in American history have been governors – the current occupant clearly has no idea of what that means. So, which current or past governor do you think is most qualified to hold the position?

Present and past GOP governors @ Republican Governors Association - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Present and past Democrat governors @ Democratic Governors Association - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Moonbean Jerry Brown from California?

Grassland John Hickenlooper?

Bayou Bobby Jindal

Navajoland Susana Martinez?

Think about it. Who do you think has the best chance and would be the best candidate?
Partisan nonsense.

Most of the GOP candidates are governors.

Your argument is as lame as it is partisan.

So far, the most effective chief executives in American history have been governors – the current occupant clearly has no idea of what that means. So, which current or past governor do you think is most qualified to hold the position?

Present and past GOP governors @ Republican Governors Association - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Present and past Democrat governors @ Democratic Governors Association - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Bayou Bobby Jindal

Think about it. Who do you think has the best chance and would be the best candidate?
We've had many good presidents that weren't governors such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Harry Truman and we've had many good presidents that were governors such as Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton.

The person and party are what's important.

Bayou Bobby Jindal

We've had many good presidents that weren't governors such as George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, John Kennedy, Dwight D. Eisenhower, and Harry Truman and we've had many good presidents that were governors such as Thomas Jefferson, Franklin Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, Ronald Reagan, and Bill Clinton.

Also the circumstances of the term(s). I'm pretty liberal but I greatly admire Ronald Reagan. A lot of my liberal friends cite the deficit and detract from him for that. I think it is fair game but I also think that at times, you need an actor like Reagan on the stage when you have an enemy like the USSR at your gates. There wasn't much debate about what job #1 was when Reagan took office; that was to restore America and give us back a sense of ourselves that we lost in the 60's due to the culture and the 70's due to the years of Watergate and Carter's inability to lead. For all intent and purposes, restoring that sense of ourselves was synonymous with defeating Russia.

If you were to have put Reagan later in time, it is quite possible that he would have been thought of much differently without a clear cut job #1.

Because Reagan and Bush were such effective presidents.

Reagan destroyed your beloved Soviet Union, and you STILL haven't gotten over it. He was the most effective president since Lincoln. That you were/are on the Soviet side doesn't alter anything.

No Democrat has ever won an election like Reagan did. that's why they are so bitter and jealous. not even their golden brown Messiah.

Bayou Bobby Jindal

Also the circumstances of the term(s). I'm pretty liberal but I greatly admire Ronald Reagan. A lot of my liberal friends cite the deficit and detract from him for that. I think it is fair game but I also think that at times, you need an actor like Reagan on the stage when you have an enemy like the USSR at your gates. There wasn't much debate about what job #1 was when Reagan took office; that was to restore America and give us back a sense of ourselves that we lost in the 60's due to the culture and the 70's due to the years of Watergate and Carter's inability to lead. For all intent and purposes, restoring that sense of ourselves was synonymous with defeating Russia.

If you were to have put Reagan later in time, it is quite possible that he would have been thought of much differently without a clear cut job #1.
I think Reagan was a pretty good president. Like Clinton, he was well liked at the time and being liked is important. We often neglect this in discussing presidential victories.

Some people believe you vote the party. Others believe you vote the person. In today's world of polarized politics, I give first priority to the party. However, if the opposition candidate is good enough, I'll jump parties. To me, a governorship is just another qualification to be considered.

Last edited:
We should not elect another community agitating jerk who only had half a term in Congress as a Junior frikken Senator before he decided we should be blessed with his ugly hateful self.

AND YES electing a Governor I believe it the best for President.
Don't talk that whey about Abe Lincoln...

Bayou Bobby Jindal

Partisan nonsense.

Most of the GOP candidates are governors.

Your argument is as lame as it is partisan.

is it our fault Democrat governors have bad records?

We should not elect another community agitating jerk who only had half a term in Congress as a Junior frikken Senator before he decided we should be blessed with his ugly hateful self.

Lincoln was a senator?

Bayou Bobby Jindal

I think Reagan was a pretty good president. Like Clinton, he was well liked at the time and being liked is important. We often neglect this in discussing presidential victories.

Some people believe you vote the party. Others believe you vote the person. In today's world of polarized politics, I give first priority to the party. However, if the opposition candidate is good enough, I'll jump parties. To me, a governorship is just another qualification to be considered.

That makes sense.

There is this talk show host on Sirius XM radio. She has a commercial that gets played from time to time where she talks about her show. She is a person with a political background and she says something to the effect of "I'm for modernizing the GOP but my show is about more than that." Essentially this is the best way I have heard to express the GOP's woes...their antiquated approach to every thing often is non congruent with the 21st century Zeitgeist. Not that the zeitgeist is infallible but more often than not, it is correct.

Voting party (nationally) is the only way to go. Simply because our system is such that one branch cancels out the other and you need (at least) 2/3 to move anything forward or, if you're the GOP, repeal anything that hints at progress.

Because Reagan and Bush were such effective presidents.

Reagan destroyed your beloved Soviet Union, and you STILL haven't gotten over it. He was the most effective president since Lincoln. That you were/are on the Soviet side doesn't alter anything.

No Democrat has ever won an election like Reagan did. that's why they are so bitter and jealous. not even their golden brown Messiah.
You're what comes to mind when people think of the word bitter. Seriously, have you ever had a good day in your life?

Bayou Bobby Jindal

Worked so well with Reagan but for that little stock market crash thing. :)

Lincoln was a senator?
Lincoln never served in any national political office before becoming president other than the US House of Representatives. He came to the presidency with no administrative experience.

Lincoln was a senator?
Lincoln never served in any national political office before becoming president other than the US House of Representatives. He came to the presidency with no administrative experience.

At the time Lincoln was president, there were only 22 government agencies! The biggest cost to government was conducting the civil war.

us-government-size-spending-by-president.jpg

and

us-government-size-spending-percentage-gdp-by-president.jpg

Lincoln was a senator?

At the time Lincoln was president, there were only 22 government agencies! The biggest cost to government was conducting the civil war.

us-government-size-spending-by-president.jpg

and

us-government-size-spending-percentage-gdp-by-president.jpg
Terrorism, illegal immigration, foreign wars, air pollution, water pollution, climate change, the industrial revolution, nuclear, chemical and biological warfare, doubling of life expectancy, modern day miracles of medical science, rise and fall of labor unions, women’s suffrage, civil rights, organized crime, interstate commerce, foreign competition, free trade, and thousands of other changes in American society since Lincoln was president have created a demand for more government.

Seems Mark Levin deeply disagree with this premise. See his video @

I often agree with Levin – but sure as heck not on this!

Forum List

Back