We should be at 7.5% unemployment

I keep paying attention to the Chinese who seem to be adhering to a far more stringent variation of monetarism. They intend to curb volatility and bubble formation by limiting capital formation at the commercial bank level.

If monetarism was the slave in service to the economy as Milton Friedman suggested it might be an extremely useful tool. But in a global capital market nobody operates in the requisite isolation.

I can't believe you are actually praising the Chinese system. Do you really hate this administration so much? The Chinese are able to control any goddamned thing they want. They are a quasi capitalist regime that has figured out how to rake in profits for the government, but which hardly extends to its citizens. China remains a Communist nation. Hello?

Unfuckingbelievable.

wasn't it you who just mumbled some gibberish like this:

I love all the doomsday predictions by economy expert webnutters. Real experts of all persuasions are working diligently to come up with real solutions. These are the ones who, without political bias, aren't secretly hoping the US will crash.

Willie wasn't hoping the US would fail and I was merely commenting on the tactic China is using. Because it may turn out to be a better monetary tool than setting interest rate targets.

And the economists you praise seem to be A) more concerned about the banks than the nation or B) failing miserably.

Last edited:
I agree. Monetarism is the more dangerous discipline, and it is even stronger than it was before the "abyss impasse" of 08.

This is where the presence of Geithner and Bernanke will yield bad dividends.
Worse yet monetarism is simply an update of Fisher's 1910 paper that led to what he called in early 1929 "A permanent plateau of prosperity." We are entering South Sea bubble territory.

I love all the doomsday predictions by economy expert webnutters. Real experts of all persuasions are working diligently to come up with real solutions. These are the ones who, without political bias, aren't secretly hoping the US will crash.

The sad part isn't that you believe that nonsense, it's that you still believe it after it has been tried and failed miserably. You seem to think that policy wonks are the ones who can help and those of us doing the actual business should just shut up and follow them over another cliff.

The best solution now would be to put a Governor, two housewives and two entrepreneurs in charge of managing government inflows and outflows as basic resources. That would be true effective compromise.

If it is the policy wonks or asterism, let's go with the wonks.

You have a right to that opinion. How many jobs did you create between January 2008 and now? How many has the government created?

I'm currently at net 5. It's not much, but it's 5 more than Bush/Obama/Pelosi/JakeStarkey have created. Now go ahead and make it more expensive to do it now and see how that works out.

I will check with the general manager on the phone, Asterism, and he will say we have added somewhere between 30 and 40 people: new positions, not replacements. You have created only 1/6 at the best of what we have.

You have no idea about national economics or or tax policy on this matter clearly, based on your criteria above.

You have a right to that opinion. How many jobs did you create between January 2008 and now? How many has the government created?

I'm currently at net 5. It's not much, but it's 5 more than Bush/Obama/Pelosi/JakeStarkey have created. Now go ahead and make it more expensive to do it now and see how that works out.

As long as you continue to have your head completely buried in sand, there's no point in discussing this with you any longer. How much more proof do you need that (a) it was acknowledged at the outset that it would be a long slog before the economy picked up again, (b) that the stimulus money DID provide jobs AND tax cuts for businesses AND a start on many highway projects heretofore in limbo, (c) all market indicators EXCEPT unemployment are showing marked improvement.

But noooooooooooooo, according to you, the apocalypse has already happened. I have great sympathy for such negativity. You're attitude contributes to the problem, not the solution.

I will check with the general manager on the phone, Asterism, and he will say we have added somewhere between 30 and 40 people: new positions, not replacements. You have created only 1/6 at the best of what we have.

You have no idea about national economics or or tax policy on this matter clearly, based on your criteria above.

I didn't say it was much.

But if you created these jobs how can you not know how many? The general manager works for your right?

As long as you continue to have your head completely buried in sand, there's no point in discussing this with you any longer. How much more proof do you need that (a) it was acknowledged at the outset that it would be a long slog before the economy picked up again, (b) that the stimulus money DID provide jobs AND tax cuts for businesses AND a start on many highway projects heretofore in limbo, (c) all market indicators EXCEPT unemployment are showing marked improvement.

But noooooooooooooo, according to you, the apocalypse has already happened. I have great sympathy for such negativity. You're attitude contributes to the problem, not the solution.

Perhaps. You've done such a bang up job convincing me. I know I didn't convince you, but you aren't one of those being told to hire more people and pay higher costs with lower expected benefit. Your attitude *is* the problem, the top-down force people to do it your way methods.

Good luck with that.

But if you created these jobs how can you not know how many? The general manager works for your right?

Asterism, that business is one of several in which I am involved in ownership and or partnership, and in that one I am not involved in the daily operations. That's why I have a general manager, and why he has answered my forthwith. The growth was 34 jobs created.

Now, to the point.

All indicators, with the exception of unemployment, have turned in the right direction. The employment figure has stabilized, but it does need to go down to spurt dynamic economic growth.

You have offered nothing but a cooked chart that sky was not falling. Put something solid out there that the great majority of economists will say, "Yep, that's right." You don't have it, do you?

Worse yet monetarism is simply an update of Fisher's 1910 paper that led to what he called in early 1929 "A permanent plateau of prosperity." We are entering South Sea bubble territory.

The sad part isn't that you believe that nonsense, it's that you still believe it after it has been tried and failed miserably. You seem to think that policy wonks are the ones who can help and those of us doing the actual business should just shut up and follow them over another cliff.

The best solution now would be to put a Governor, two housewives and two entrepreneurs in charge of managing government inflows and outflows as basic resources. That would be true effective compromise.
The problem is that working economists do not publish much because most of what they do is proprietary and published economists are generally academics who either passed on or were passed on by employers in private industry. Just as architects are judged by the buildings they have designed and built economists are judged by the fortunes, not necessarily their own, that they have designed and built.

The late perennial LP presidential candidate, Harry S. Browne, is noted in portfolio theory for his asset allocation model which produces the highest risk adjusted returns of any yet tested. Scholes of Black and Scholes fame and LTCM infamy is a high rolling gambler who always lands on his feet. Krugman, Geithner and Bernancke are not noted for getting anyone seriously rich yet they are treated as experts. I find it bizarre that liberal posters do not quote Soros and Buffet much at all in this crisis. They are afterall liberal economists of note and achievement and even though it is quite possible to disagree strongly with their political goals they are not asshats. But they are rarely quoted or cited by liberals in these economic debates.

William, please understand that if someone disagrees with you does not automatically make him or her a liberal.

That's a silly conclusion.

Asterism, that business is one of several in which I am involved in ownership and or partnership, and in that one I am not involved in the daily operations. That's why I have a general manager, and why he has answered my forthwith. The growth was 34 jobs created.

Now, to the point.

All indicators, with the exception of unemployment, have turned in the right direction. The employment figure has stabilized, but it does need to go down to spurt dynamic economic growth.

You have offered nothing but a cooked chart that sky was not falling. Put something solid out there that the great majority of economists will say, "Yep, that's right." You don't have it, do you?

Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad your increased business has been better than mine.

I didn't "cook" any chart. I added the red line to the one that the Council of Economic Advisors released, that's all. We obviously differ on our conclusions about the direction of this economy, but 2 years later the only results are "indicators" that have "turned in the right direction." That's just spin for "it's not working but it's getting worse at a slower pace" in my opinion.

The problem is that working economists do not publish much because most of what they do is proprietary and published economists are generally academics who either passed on or were passed on by employers in private industry. Just as architects are judged by the buildings they have designed and built economists are judged by the fortunes, not necessarily their own, that they have designed and built.

The late perennial LP presidential candidate, Harry S. Browne, is noted in portfolio theory for his asset allocation model which produces the highest risk adjusted returns of any yet tested. Scholes of Black and Scholes fame and LTCM infamy is a high rolling gambler who always lands on his feet. Krugman, Geithner and Bernancke are not noted for getting anyone seriously rich yet they are treated as experts. I find it bizarre that liberal posters do not quote Soros and Buffet much at all in this crisis. They are afterall liberal economists of note and achievement and even though it is quite possible to disagree strongly with their political goals they are not asshats. But they are rarely quoted or cited by liberals in these economic debates.

Or better yet, when Buffett is quoted the statements of what he says are not taken in the context of view what he does. He hasn't prospered by his words, he has prospered by his actions.

Now, to the point.

Thank you for the clarification. I'm glad your increased business has been better than mine.

I didn't "cook" any chart. I added the red line to the one that the Council of Economic Advisors released, that's all. We obviously differ on our conclusions about the direction of this economy, but 2 years later the only results are "indicators" that have "turned in the right direction." That's just spin for "it's not working but it's getting worse at a slower pace" in my opinion.

I disagree. That we grew more expansively than yours may merely be that we are in "growth" fields and that we are diversified in a number of fields. I congratulate you on your work ethic.

Now, to the point.

I disagree. That we grew more expansively than yours may merely be that we are in "growth" fields and that we are diversified in a number of fields. I congratulate you on your work ethic.

Back at'cha.

:up: :beer:

Because to quote Soros would bring gales of laughter from the right, without actually analyzing what he says. Buffet not so much, but I've quoted him on occasion only to be met with "yeah, he's a liberal..." Krugman is way far left of both Geithner and Bernanke, by the way. Although he has some genuinely intriguing ideas, he can rarely back them up with how those ideas might effect the economy as a whole, whereas I think Geithner and Bernanke do try to see the big picture.

There is nothing funny about George Soros, who as much told Obama he was a one-termer

Forum List

Back