We need an immediate five-week national lockdown to defeat coronavirus in America

Totally agree that a 5-week shutdown would devastate the economy and the people. Who can survive w/o working for 5-weeks? Not many

We can if the government steps up. The alternative is unthinkable. Yes there will be a cost...but this is an EXTRAORDINARY DISASTER
A middle of the road approach (2 or 3 week shutdown) would reduce infections to an acceptable level and keep the economy afloat.

A middle of the road approach is NO approach. Acceptable? How many deaths is acceptable?
you all think >20,000 since you haven't said shit about those deaths. or the 88 blacks who died in Chicago this year. this year. you haven't spoken out once. so save me your bat ass shaming tactic, you suck
WTF are you whining about?
20,000 what? Deaths? Where?
COVID-19 is color blind. There are 582 US deaths so far, its not broken down by race. So stop the race card shit, and do try to keep up.
View attachment 314677
yep flu deaths.

CDC estimates* that, from October 1, 2019, through March 14, 2020, there have been:
38,000,000 – 54,000,000
flu illnesses

person coughing icon

17,000,000 – 25,000,000
flu medical visits

doctor patient icon

390,000 – 710,000
flu hospitalizations

hospital room icon

23,000 – 59,000
flu deaths

flu virus icon

BTW, no one complained about these numbers at all. no one. all of the sudden 500 deaths mean more cause of china's virus.

For me these flu numbers are staggering for no one to say shit about them then react the way they all did with this virus. sick.
1. Agree completely. The normal flu deaths don't even make the news, yet COVID-19 is so terrifying we need to shut the country down and hide in our safe rooms. Just being PC? NYC looks bad, but other places are handling it.
2. Agree again. COVID-19 is nothing to mess with, it is very contagious. But with proper hygiene and hopefully therapies/medicines we should be able to function, at least on a limited basis if not 100%.

1. The Seasonal flu has a vaccine, corona virus does not. Coronavirus based on results in Washington state is 50 times more deadly than seasonal flue. Washington State has done that highest amount of testing per capita of any state in the nation.

2. Do not listen to an economist about what to do to defeat a pandemic. Listen to public health professionals. Follow the science, not the wishful thinking of non-experts more concerned about their money than people's lives.

I don't disagree with the op in principle. Staggering shutdowns across the nation is not effective because we all travel. So KC is shut down now but residents later travel to an area that wasn't shut down and bring the virus back to KC after the lockdown. Patchwork bandaids will just prolong this.
Having said that until Congress passes laws preventing utilities and landlords from punishing the lower classes who work paycheck to paycheck a national shutdown could be devastating on them. They need to get this legislation done and have the aid prepared to go stat.

Totally agree that a 5-week shutdown would devastate the economy and the people. Who can survive w/o working for 5-weeks? Not many
A middle of the road approach (2 or 3 week shutdown) would reduce infections to an acceptable level and keep the economy afloat.

Humans need food, water, shelter, and clothing to survive. The economy can be redirected to supplying just those needs until the pandemic is defeated. This is a war and you have to do what is necessary to win!
no they can't, dude, you're very much a jim jones koolaid drinker.

no one can touch anything from anyone is what you're saying so getting any supplies would defeat your proposal. you just screwed all of mankind.

You can touch anything you want, as long as you wash your hands before you put them to your face. Coronavirus can only survive on surfaces for a maximum of three days. So no, the distribution of food and supplies will NOT kill people.

Now this.

they never cleaned? Well shit, how fking stupid is that?

Where was that written?

I don't disagree with the op in principle. Staggering shutdowns across the nation is not effective because we all travel. So KC is shut down now but residents later travel to an area that wasn't shut down and bring the virus back to KC after the lockdown. Patchwork bandaids will just prolong this.
Having said that until Congress passes laws preventing utilities and landlords from punishing the lower classes who work paycheck to paycheck a national shutdown could be devastating on them. They need to get this legislation done and have the aid prepared to go stat.

Humans need food, water, shelter, and clothing to survive. The economy can be redirected to supplying just those needs until the pandemic is defeated. This is a war and you have to do what is necessary to win!
no they can't, dude, you're very much a jim jones koolaid drinker.

no one can touch anything from anyone is what you're saying so getting any supplies would defeat your proposal. you just screwed all of mankind.

You can touch anything you want, as long as you wash your hands before you put them to your face. Coronavirus can only survive on surfaces for a maximum of three days. So no, the distribution of food and supplies will NOT kill people.

Now this.

they never cleaned? Well shit, how fking stupid is that?

Where was that written?
how else would it sit there?

States reject Trump's talk of restarting US economy early

President Donald Trump said on Monday he was considering how to restart business life when a 15-day shutdown ends next week, even as the highly contagious virus spreads rapidly and poorly equipped hospitals struggle with a wave of deadly cases.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat whose state of New York has become the epicenter of the U.S. outbreak with 25,665 cases, strongly opposed allowing people to travel, socialize and get back to workplaces too quickly.

"If you ask the American people to choose between public health and the economy, then it's no contest. No American is going to say accelerate the economy at the cost of human life," he said at a convention center in Manhattan that is being repurposed to fit beds for coronavirus patients.

Maryland Governor Larry Hogan, a Republican, told CNN on Tuesday: "We don't think that we're going to be in any way ready to be out of this in five or six days or so, or whenever this 15 days is up from the time that they started this imaginary clock."

Senior Pentagon leaders said on Tuesday that the outbreak could continue for months.

Rapidly reopening the economy might backfire, with higher deaths and people remaining fearful of going out, according to investors who remain anxious about the coronavirus’ uncertain trajectory and its economic toll.

“Markets will react badly because they have learned that this approach doesn’t work,” Axel Merk, chief investment officer of Merk Investments, said. “From a medical point of view, you have to break the exponential growth and you do that with shelter in place policies.”

Trump is driving the MSM crazy at today's presser.
Trump is saying that he will open the US economy back up sooner rather than later.
The reporters keep asking "what do the doctors want to do?" and "are the doctors okay with your early open plan?"
Dr. Debra Birx said that the recommendation of the doctors will depend on the data.
View attachment 314485

I add that the various state governors will also have a say whether to allow businesses to open or not.
So if I was a company executive I'd be planning how to open back up, keeping social distances, keeping the elderly home, using gloves, Purell, etc. to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Keep restaurant in-seating closed, movies, churches, sports venues, concerts, and other large gatherings, closed. Maybe open airlines with social distances? Let the governors and local government review the business plans for opening during the pandemic to minimize the spread of COVID-19 but yet allow people to earn a living where possible.

WYEHO?

Why are so you so f-ing stupid to post shit like this?

You probably haven't had any since it had you!

Like what?

I think it's important to point out the positive news that is being lost sometimes when we talk about this virus, and that is that the survivability rate is nearly 99% and the total infected population is less than 1% of our entire population. Also 90% of the people tested so far in the US for coronavirus test negative for the virus based on the surgeon general's information, so the odds are very much in your favor. I'm not saying it shouldn't be taken seriously, not at all saying that, and we should make sure we are taking care of our most vulnerable, but this virus is thankfully not a death sentence for nearly all that might get it.

When it comes to slowly reopening the economy and resuming "normality" I would be willing to bet that most Americans would take the chance at resuming normality knowing that if they happen to get the virus after resuming life, which the odds are with you that you wouldn't actually get the virus, you have a near 99% chance of surviving. This is GOOD news and isn't shared enough in my opinion. It would also be fitting for the country to potentially see its emergence back into normality to coincide with Easter. That would be pretty cool in my opinion to celebrate Jesus's resurrection and also our country finally getting back to a sense of normality and recovering for millions of people. Pray that the social distancing continues to help and that another couple of weeks brings relief.

Last edited:
It’s pretty much defeated itself through its unimpressive numbers
Set US free!!

World
We need an immediate five-week national lockdown to defeat coronavirus in America
Yaneer Bar-Yam, Opinion contributor
USA TODAY OpinionMarch 21, 2020, 11:30 AM EDT

I am an MIT-trained physicist and complexity scientist who studies pandemics. I have warned about global pandemics due to increasing travel for 15 years. I recommended community based monitoring of symptoms to stop Ebola in West Africa in 2014, and it worked. The fastest and even the only way to contain COVID-19 in the United States is a five-week national lockdown.
Closing schools, bars and movie theaters are good measures, but not enough. Our relaxed approach to social distancing is insufficient to stop the exponential growth of COVID-19. Until Americans consistently adopt strong social distancing recommendations — a lockdown — the disease will continue to spread exponentially.
During a five-week national lockdown, federal, state and local authorities would ensure that all Americans stay home except to obtain food and other essentials, access medical care, or do work essential to the functioning of society. Travel would cease: We would close our borders and airports and prohibit all unnecessary travel across state and county (or town) lines within the United States. The U.S. government would have to provide aid to citizens separated from their sources of income and ensure care for vulnerable members of society.
Lockdown would sharply reduce cases
During the first two weeks of a lockdown, infected individuals will either recover from mild cases of COVID-19 at home or seek medical attention for the 14% of cases that are severe. During the third, fourth and fifth weeks, any newly infected family or cohabitants of infected individuals will recover or seek medical attention and their isolation will prevent further spreading. By the end of the lockdown, the number of infections will be a small fraction of what they are now.

The lockdown will give us time to dramatically scale up our supply of COVID-19 test kits and capacity to process them. If we reduce the number of infections using the lockdown and start a massive testing regime in the United States, we can control COVID-19 after five weeks without such extreme social distancing measures. Isolating sick individuals and their immediate contacts will be enough.

The human and economic costs of delaying this lockdown will be staggering. The COVID-19 outbreak has many more cases now than are visible (tip of the iceberg) and they are growing rapidly. Absent sufficiently effective intervention, new cases will increase 1.3 to 1.5 times each day. We had almost 20,000 cases in the United States on Friday, over 5,800 more cases than the previous day. Without a lockdown, in one week there will be about 200,000. In two weeks: 2,000,000. One in seven cases require hospitalization and 5% require ICU care with ventilators to survive. There aren’t nearly enough ventilators available.

The effectiveness of a five-week lockdown will be dramatic — and also entirely predictable.

We know a U.S. lockdown can work because it worked in China. At the height of its COVID-19 crisis in mid-February, China had locked down an estimated 760 milllion people, approximately half of its population. This policy was so successful that Wuhan is now much safer from coronavirus than New York City or Washington, D.C. The few new COVID-19 cases in China now stem from foreign travelers rather than local transmission, and all are safely quarantined.

We know what we have to do. President Donald Trump and our states' governors and local leaders must act now to save millions of lives.

United States Infections and deaths from Coronavirus as of February 29, 2020
Infections: 68
Deaths: 1

United States Infections and deaths from Coronavirus as of March 22, 2020
Infections: 35,000
Deaths: 458

The exponential rise in infections and deaths in just 3 weeks is incredible. Where will the United States be on April 23, 2020 without the lockdown proposed above?

Sure, there won't be any jobs to come back to but hey, the Gov can support us all. Right?

Trump is saying that he will open the US economy back up sooner rather than later.
The reporters keep asking "what do the doctors want to do?" and "are the doctors okay with your early open plan?"
Dr. Debra Birx said that the recommendation of the doctors will depend on the data.
View attachment 314485

I add that the various state governors will also have a say whether to allow businesses to open or not.
So if I was a company executive I'd be planning how to open back up, keeping social distances, keeping the elderly home, using gloves, Purell, etc. to minimize the spread of COVID-19. Keep restaurant in-seating closed, movies, churches, sports venues, concerts, and other large gatherings, closed. Maybe open airlines with social distances? Let the governors and local government review the business plans for opening during the pandemic to minimize the spread of COVID-19 but yet allow people to earn a living where possible.

WYEHO?

Like what?

Like what? You can't figure out your middle school locker room BS is not appreciated.

And, as an added bonus, the Democrats,, the media, and their useful idiots can - and most assuredly will - gleefully blame Trump for the millions of new jobless claims every week, the millions of job losses each month, the collapse of the stock market and the double -digit contraction of the economy over two quarters.

Win at every cost, see - who cares if a hundred million Americans have to suffer?

View attachment 314485

WYEHO?

Like what?

Like what? You can't figure out your middle school locker room BS is not appreciated.

Would
You
Exist
Homebound
Only
?

View attachment 314485

WYEHO?

Like what?

Would
You
Exist
Homebound
Only
?

OK. How long did that take you to come up with!:abgg2q.jpg:

World

I am an MIT-trained physicist and complexity scientist who studies pandemics. I have warned about global pandemics due to increasing travel for 15 years. I recommended community based monitoring of symptoms to stop Ebola in West Africa in 2014, and it worked. The fastest and even the only way to contain COVID-19 in the United States is a five-week national lockdown.
Closing schools, bars and movie theaters are good measures, but not enough. Our relaxed approach to social distancing is insufficient to stop the exponential growth of COVID-19. Until Americans consistently adopt strong social distancing recommendations — a lockdown — the disease will continue to spread exponentially.
During a five-week national lockdown, federal, state and local authorities would ensure that all Americans stay home except to obtain food and other essentials, access medical care, or do work essential to the functioning of society. Travel would cease: We would close our borders and airports and prohibit all unnecessary travel across state and county (or town) lines within the United States. The U.S. government would have to provide aid to citizens separated from their sources of income and ensure care for vulnerable members of society.
During the first two weeks of a lockdown, infected individuals will either recover from mild cases of COVID-19 at home or seek medical attention for the 14% of cases that are severe. During the third, fourth and fifth weeks, any newly infected family or cohabitants of infected individuals will recover or seek medical attention and their isolation will prevent further spreading. By the end of the lockdown, the number of infections will be a small fraction of what they are now.

The lockdown will give us time to dramatically scale up our supply of COVID-19 test kits and capacity to process them. If we reduce the number of infections using the lockdown and start a massive testing regime in the United States, we can control COVID-19 after five weeks without such extreme social distancing measures. Isolating sick individuals and their immediate contacts will be enough.

The human and economic costs of delaying this lockdown will be staggering. The COVID-19 outbreak has many more cases now than are visible (tip of the iceberg) and they are growing rapidly. Absent sufficiently effective intervention, new cases will increase 1.3 to 1.5 times each day. We had almost 20,000 cases in the United States on Friday, over 5,800 more cases than the previous day. Without a lockdown, in one week there will be about 200,000. In two weeks: 2,000,000. One in seven cases require hospitalization and 5% require ICU care with ventilators to survive. There aren’t nearly enough ventilators available.

The effectiveness of a five-week lockdown will be dramatic — and also entirely predictable.

We know a U.S. lockdown can work because it worked in China. At the height of its COVID-19 crisis in mid-February, China had locked down an estimated 760 milllion people, approximately half of its population. This policy was so successful that Wuhan is now much safer from coronavirus than New York City or Washington, D.C. The few new COVID-19 cases in China now stem from foreign travelers rather than local transmission, and all are safely quarantined.

We know what we have to do. President Donald Trump and our states' governors and local leaders must act now to save millions of lives.

Yaneer Bar-Yam is the founding president of the New England Complex Systems Institute, where he is an expert on pandemics and other complex systems. He is spearheading the effort of over 3,000 volunteers working to stop the outbreak at endcoronavirus.org. Follow him on Twitter: @yaneerbaryam

The exponential rise in infections and deaths in just 3 weeks is incredible. Where will the United States be on April 23, 2020 without the lockdown proposed above?

It would be nice to think we could shutdown our economy for 5 weeks and survive as a country, but it is not reality. A 5 week lockdown is a case of the cure being worse than the disease

There is no other option. This is a disaster situation. The priority is survival, not making money. The entire economy will have to be refocused to fighting this war, just like it was during World War II.
Bullshit. We’ve endured worse pandemics before, and we didn’t shut down the whole nation.
Forcing businesses to shut down is wrong. Cracking down on people going to parks is wrong. Let people make up their own damned minds. But authoritarian asswipes can never let that happen.

Go to the park. Get infected from someone you come into contact with. You get sick with a mild case. Go to visit grandma and she dies.

I am not coming into contact with anyone at the park or the biking trails which my stupid city closed.

Neither am I. I have to mask up and stay as far away from everyone as possible. Some asshole goes to Florida on spring break, catches the virus, gives it to their brother, sister, Mom or Dad and they give it to my wife who then gives it to me. I am as good as dead.
that's been that way since forever. flu kills 20,000 and that didn't bother you before did it?

Coronavirus is 44 times more deadly than season flu. Seasonal flu has a vaccine you can take, coronavirus does NOT. When will you start to understand these basic facts?
H1N1 while not being as transmitable.....was a deadly Flu.....killing a hell of a lot more than this one has...........

It killed the young.......4000 Americans died in the 1st 6 months.......it killed by some estimates nearly 600,000 in the world..........A VACCINE was started within a FEW MONTHS.......

Now we have several VACCINES in the works within a few months again.........time will tell their success and how to manufacture so much of it is another problem.

WE CANNOT STAY SHUT DOWN FOR A VERY LONG TIME......IT WILL ECONOMICALLY DESTROY US AND THE WORLD.................Even with all of the people staying home...........we ONLY MINIMIZE THE SPREAD.......it's gonna keep coming back until medicine BEATS IT......or it runs it's course........

I do think once it gets MUGGY AND HOT down south....the spread will lessen.....I've shown SARS studies from the past already saying so.........Even though now they say it's NEW......LOL

SARs. .....isn't NEW.......NEITHER IS CORONA...........BOTH HAVE BEEN STUDIED........

This particular strain of corona is new. The alternative to a lockdown is mass death and the destruction of the health care system everyone depends when they become ill for other things. Defeating the pandemic and human survival are FAR MORE IMPORTANT than normal economic activity.

Its only the old economy that is shut down. A new economy is emerging to fight coronavirus just as a new economy emerged in the 1940s to fight World War II! Amazon.com is hiring 100,000 new workers. Shipping of essential services will continue.

"Mass death"

This is exactly what I mean. There actually WAS "mass death" from H1N1...the kind that you would undoubtedly be abjectly panicked about it it were COVID...to the tune of 60K in one season. We didn't shut one thing down.

As I have explained before, 60,000 is not mass death. 3 million people dead within a year is mass death.

1. H1N1 had a vaccine, Coronavirus does not.
2. Coronavirus is 44 times more deadly that seasonal flue
3. Coronavirus is a more dangerous pathogen than H1N1.

1. H1N1 had a vaccine AFTER the pandemic hit. Stop lying. Its stupid to have so many US deaths (12,500) if a vaccine was available. Stop lying.

2. COVID-19 is NOT 44x more lethal, than seasonal flu.
It may be up to 10x worse depending upon how many unreported cases there actually are.
"So the difference between a 0.1 percent and a 1.0 percent fatality rate could be 360,000 dead Americans. " (not 2,000,000)

I'm not lying! I got the vaccine myself in 2009 and so did the rest of my family. There are an average of 40,000 deaths from seasonal flu every year with the vaccine available. Unfortunately, 50% of people don't get their flu shot each year. A lot of people who died from H1N1 did not get their vaccine shot either.

In Italy, the death rate from coronavirus is nearly 10%. There are over 60,000 cases and over 6,000 deaths. I used the global figures to come up with the 4.4% death rate which is 44 times the death rate of seasonal flu.

If 60% of the U.S. population becomes infected with coronavirus, its estimated there will be 2,400,000 deaths from Coronavirus.

The best thing for the United States, from both a HEALTH and ECONOMIC perspective, is to defeat the PATHOGEN FIRST! Then you can focus on the economy. There are no half measures in defeating a PATHOGEN. Biology is a HARD SCIENCE unlike Economics. Trump should pay attention to the Doctors and Scientist on Epidemiology, not the idiots he appointed to run the economy.

1. I'm not saying you lied about the H1N1 vaccine, but when you "imply" that H1N1 didn't happen before the vaccine was available. H1N1 killed 12,500 Americans, then the vaccine came out. H1N1 hit from April thru September, then the vaccine came out in October. 2009 H1N1 Flu Pandemic Timeline

2. Why use global figures for COVID-19 instead of US CDC figures? Your numbers are way off.
The CDC says that the current mortality rate for COVID-19 is about 0.7% which might be lowered if/when therapies are approved such as Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine: what to know about the potential coronavirus drugs

3. Your 60% infection rate was explained at yesterday's presser by Dr. Birx. She said that the 60% would be over 3-years not one year. We should have a vaccine well before the 3rd year, and therapies well before next year. So your 2,400,000 US deaths is just wrong. If 3% of the US population gets COVID-19 that's about 10m infected, and if 0.007 of them die, that's about 70,000 not 2,400,000. So the death rate would be about the same as a bad regular flu, which is still a bad year.

4. We don't stop the economy for the regular flu, we need to get back to work, but in a smart way, with social distancing and hygiene, after the peak occurs.

1. I never said that we had a vaccine before the first cases of H1N1. I said we got a vaccine quick enough to respond to major spread issues and prevent a major problem. I had family members in older age groups and with underlying health conditions working in the K through 12 school system. They were never advised to stop working, although the emphasized it was important for them to get the vaccine. A vaccine was available before it became a major problem for people over age 60 and with underlying health conditions. The H1N1 situation is not comparable to coronavirus situation!

2. The United States does not have accurate figures thanks to Donald Trump because were way behind on testing. So its not accurate to use just the U.S. figures. Should we use Italian figures, or some other countries figures? No. So that is why for now I use the global figures. I don't trust any one country's particular figures. Again, it is far better to assume a worse death rate and be wrong than to underestimate a dangerous pathogen involved in a global pandemic.

3. I have seen estimates that show 2 million Americans could die before the end of 2020 without the lockdowns in place. You plan for worst case scenarios in a crises like this. Your sugar coating of the problem is the type of thing that gets people killed. As Anthony Fauci has said, its better to overestimate and overreact to a pandemic than to underestimate and under act to a pandemic. Its a global crises, and Trump cares more about the stock market than saving people's lives. Just more reason this idiot should never have been President.

4. This is not regular flu. Anyone who studies pandemics or the SCIENCE on this will tell you that. Your unscientific sugarcoating of this, risk getting millions of people killed. Look at what happened in Hong Kong would they lifted some of the restrictions. They got another wave of the coronavirus.

5. The Economy is not completely stopped. Essential services and production have continued. In addition, there has been huge expansion in certain sectors of the economy as the country refocuses on fighting this pandemic. Idiot Trump is risking killing more Americans by loosening restrictions against the advise of ALL HIS EXPERTS ON PANDEMICS!

6. Finally, lets be clear: Seasonal Flu is not a pandemic. THE CORONAVIRUS IS A PANDEMIC! There is no comparison between the two. The only people who claim there is, are people who are NOT professionals in studying pandemics and how to defeat them!
1. OK. My point is that the H1N1 casualties, 12,500 dead was before the vaccine was available. Hoping that COVID-19 deaths will be much lower.
2, Do the math, more testing means more cases, means that the denominator gets bigger and the death rate gets smaller. The 0.7% CDC currently states supersedes the 4.4% global death rate. So use the 0.7% not the 4.4%
3. Please post a link supporting the 2m US deaths in 2020. If you can't find a credible link stop posting nonsense. Your posts are generally unsupported bullshit, please try to debate using real facts, real links, not unsupported nonsense. Here is Dr. Fauci's early estimate, not 4.4%:
A Doctor’s Assessment of the COVID-19 Outbreak | National Review
"Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, wrote that because of the high number of unreported cases, “the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1% . . . ultimately more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%).”
(This is from Fauci, Lane, and Redfield, “Covid-19 — Navigating the Uncharted,” NEJM (2020 February 28): 1–2.)
4. All pandemics end, we can't hide in our safe rooms too long. The CDC doctors will tell us when its safe to come out.
5. Agree we do not want to play with fire. But we can't delay going back to work too long either.
When Trump haters like Paul Krugman support Trump's re-open when ready plan, you know the economy needs to re-start soon.
6. Was H1N1 a pandemic? What did we do back then? I don't recall shutting the counrty down for a month or two.
Let the doctors do their data analysis, and then when reasonably ready, start getting back to work.

1. H1N1 is not comparable to the coronavirus problem. The coronavirus is more deadly and more transmissible. That's why most countries in the world have instituted restriction that they didn't for H1N1. The listing of the total dead in a certain time frame is not an accurate way to compare coronavirus with H1N1. H1N1 ended almost 10 years ago. This Pandemic is new, far more deadly in terms of the chances of survival for those infected, and much more transmissible.

2. We don't know the exact death rate and won't no it until the crisis is over. There for you have to assume the worst case situation. Information from Washington state suggest a 5% death rate. The global figures suggest a 4.4% death rate. Yes, it may be lower than that, BUT AS A MATTER OF POLICY YOU NEVER ASSUME THAT, YOU ASSUME THE WORST BECAUSE PEOPLE'S LIVES ARE AT STAKE!

3. You don't post any links proving the economy some how needs to be re-opened again to non-essential services at all. I don't have the link but do remember reading the study that showed a worst case situation of 60% infection and 2.4 million dead over a year or two. I'm not going to have a handy link for every thing I post, and you've shown you certainly don't as well.

4. Have a link for that? Trump does is not paying attention to the medical professionals, he is paying attention to economist now. There is no acceptable reason that a non-essential goods or service should be re-opened while fighting a pandemic. That non-essential business is not more important than American lives. This is a war and you defeat the Pathogen before you re-open non-essential business.

5. Again, no link for this assumption. People in Essential services are still working. Other Business's are being converted to the production of medical supplies. In World War II, the economy switched from producing consumer goods to producing Tanks, armored vehicles, planes, Artillery, guns, bullets. That is what should be happening now with MEDICAL SUPPLIES until the PATHOGEN is defeated. If you're a patriot in this war and are not in an essential business, you suck it up and stay home! If non-essential services have to remain shut down until a vaccine is created to make it safe, then so be it. You take the hit and deal with the fallout later while in the meantime you save and protect lives and protect the healthcare system which everyone depends on.

6. H1N1 is not comparable to coronavirus. The Health and Science departments of nearly every country in the world would tell you that, which is why the current measures are in place around the world. Coronavirus is far more deadly and transmissible based on much of the data that has been available. You act on worst case situations in order to protect the people and the country as a whole. There is no reason to restart non-essential goods and services at this time. Defeat the Pathogen first. Then you can go back to business as usual.

7. As I write this, the United State is at 53,013 cases. Japan is at 1,193. The scale of Trump's failure in the early days of this crises grows by the day. Donald Trump now wants to compound the crises and get more people killed by re-opening non-essential business, just so you can see better numbers for himself. He is think about the rich and his re-election prospects, and not on protecting the American people. But Trump has a history of doing that. The Ukraine affair and his dealings with Russia showed that. Its about him, not America. That's why he has been impeached and if the Republican Senators had any sense of morality or standing up for America, or at least Reagan Republicans, they would have removed him from office earlier this year.

World

Yaneer Bar-Yam is the founding president of the New England Complex Systems Institute, where he is an expert on pandemics and other complex systems. He is spearheading the effort of over 3,000 volunteers working to stop the outbreak at endcoronavirus.org. Follow him on Twitter: @yaneerbaryam

It would be nice to think we could shutdown our economy for 5 weeks and survive as a country, but it is not reality. A 5 week lockdown is a case of the cure being worse than the disease

There is no other option. This is a disaster situation. The priority is survival, not making money. The entire economy will have to be refocused to fighting this war, just like it was during World War II.
Bullshit. We’ve endured worse pandemics before, and we didn’t shut down the whole nation.
Forcing businesses to shut down is wrong. Cracking down on people going to parks is wrong. Let people make up their own damned minds. But authoritarian asswipes can never let that happen.

Go to the park. Get infected from someone you come into contact with. You get sick with a mild case. Go to visit grandma and she dies.

I am not coming into contact with anyone at the park or the biking trails which my stupid city closed.

Neither am I. I have to mask up and stay as far away from everyone as possible. Some asshole goes to Florida on spring break, catches the virus, gives it to their brother, sister, Mom or Dad and they give it to my wife who then gives it to me. I am as good as dead.
that's been that way since forever. flu kills 20,000 and that didn't bother you before did it?

Coronavirus is 44 times more deadly than season flu. Seasonal flu has a vaccine you can take, coronavirus does NOT. When will you start to understand these basic facts?
H1N1 while not being as transmitable.....was a deadly Flu.....killing a hell of a lot more than this one has...........

It killed the young.......4000 Americans died in the 1st 6 months.......it killed by some estimates nearly 600,000 in the world..........A VACCINE was started within a FEW MONTHS.......

Now we have several VACCINES in the works within a few months again.........time will tell their success and how to manufacture so much of it is another problem.

WE CANNOT STAY SHUT DOWN FOR A VERY LONG TIME......IT WILL ECONOMICALLY DESTROY US AND THE WORLD.................Even with all of the people staying home...........we ONLY MINIMIZE THE SPREAD.......it's gonna keep coming back until medicine BEATS IT......or it runs it's course........

I do think once it gets MUGGY AND HOT down south....the spread will lessen.....I've shown SARS studies from the past already saying so.........Even though now they say it's NEW......LOL

SARs. .....isn't NEW.......NEITHER IS CORONA...........BOTH HAVE BEEN STUDIED........

This particular strain of corona is new. The alternative to a lockdown is mass death and the destruction of the health care system everyone depends when they become ill for other things. Defeating the pandemic and human survival are FAR MORE IMPORTANT than normal economic activity.

Its only the old economy that is shut down. A new economy is emerging to fight coronavirus just as a new economy emerged in the 1940s to fight World War II! Amazon.com is hiring 100,000 new workers. Shipping of essential services will continue.

"Mass death"

This is exactly what I mean. There actually WAS "mass death" from H1N1...the kind that you would undoubtedly be abjectly panicked about it it were COVID...to the tune of 60K in one season. We didn't shut one thing down.

As I have explained before, 60,000 is not mass death. 3 million people dead within a year is mass death.

1. H1N1 had a vaccine, Coronavirus does not.
2. Coronavirus is 44 times more deadly that seasonal flue
3. Coronavirus is a more dangerous pathogen than H1N1.

1. H1N1 had a vaccine AFTER the pandemic hit. Stop lying. Its stupid to have so many US deaths (12,500) if a vaccine was available. Stop lying.

2. COVID-19 is NOT 44x more lethal, than seasonal flu.
It may be up to 10x worse depending upon how many unreported cases there actually are.
"So the difference between a 0.1 percent and a 1.0 percent fatality rate could be 360,000 dead Americans. " (not 2,000,000)

I'm not lying! I got the vaccine myself in 2009 and so did the rest of my family. There are an average of 40,000 deaths from seasonal flu every year with the vaccine available. Unfortunately, 50% of people don't get their flu shot each year. A lot of people who died from H1N1 did not get their vaccine shot either.

In Italy, the death rate from coronavirus is nearly 10%. There are over 60,000 cases and over 6,000 deaths. I used the global figures to come up with the 4.4% death rate which is 44 times the death rate of seasonal flu.

If 60% of the U.S. population becomes infected with coronavirus, its estimated there will be 2,400,000 deaths from Coronavirus.

The best thing for the United States, from both a HEALTH and ECONOMIC perspective, is to defeat the PATHOGEN FIRST! Then you can focus on the economy. There are no half measures in defeating a PATHOGEN. Biology is a HARD SCIENCE unlike Economics. Trump should pay attention to the Doctors and Scientist on Epidemiology, not the idiots he appointed to run the economy.

1. I'm not saying you lied about the H1N1 vaccine, but when you "imply" that H1N1 didn't happen before the vaccine was available. H1N1 killed 12,500 Americans, then the vaccine came out. H1N1 hit from April thru September, then the vaccine came out in October. 2009 H1N1 Flu Pandemic Timeline

2. Why use global figures for COVID-19 instead of US CDC figures? Your numbers are way off.
The CDC says that the current mortality rate for COVID-19 is about 0.7% which might be lowered if/when therapies are approved such as Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine: what to know about the potential coronavirus drugs

3. Your 60% infection rate was explained at yesterday's presser by Dr. Birx. She said that the 60% would be over 3-years not one year. We should have a vaccine well before the 3rd year, and therapies well before next year. So your 2,400,000 US deaths is just wrong. If 3% of the US population gets COVID-19 that's about 10m infected, and if 0.007 of them die, that's about 70,000 not 2,400,000. So the death rate would be about the same as a bad regular flu, which is still a bad year.

4. We don't stop the economy for the regular flu, we need to get back to work, but in a smart way, with social distancing and hygiene, after the peak occurs.

1. I never said that we had a vaccine before the first cases of H1N1. I said we got a vaccine quick enough to respond to major spread issues and prevent a major problem. I had family members in older age groups and with underlying health conditions working in the K through 12 school system. They were never advised to stop working, although the emphasized it was important for them to get the vaccine. A vaccine was available before it became a major problem for people over age 60 and with underlying health conditions. The H1N1 situation is not comparable to coronavirus situation!

2. The United States does not have accurate figures thanks to Donald Trump because were way behind on testing. So its not accurate to use just the U.S. figures. Should we use Italian figures, or some other countries figures? No. So that is why for now I use the global figures. I don't trust any one country's particular figures. Again, it is far better to assume a worse death rate and be wrong than to underestimate a dangerous pathogen involved in a global pandemic.

3. I have seen estimates that show 2 million Americans could die before the end of 2020 without the lockdowns in place. You plan for worst case scenarios in a crises like this. Your sugar coating of the problem is the type of thing that gets people killed. As Anthony Fauci has said, its better to overestimate and overreact to a pandemic than to underestimate and under act to a pandemic. Its a global crises, and Trump cares more about the stock market than saving people's lives. Just more reason this idiot should never have been President.

4. This is not regular flu. Anyone who studies pandemics or the SCIENCE on this will tell you that. Your unscientific sugarcoating of this, risk getting millions of people killed. Look at what happened in Hong Kong would they lifted some of the restrictions. They got another wave of the coronavirus.

5. The Economy is not completely stopped. Essential services and production have continued. In addition, there has been huge expansion in certain sectors of the economy as the country refocuses on fighting this pandemic. Idiot Trump is risking killing more Americans by loosening restrictions against the advise of ALL HIS EXPERTS ON PANDEMICS!

6. Finally, lets be clear: Seasonal Flu is not a pandemic. THE CORONAVIRUS IS A PANDEMIC! There is no comparison between the two. The only people who claim there is, are people who are NOT professionals in studying pandemics and how to defeat them!
1. OK. My point is that the H1N1 casualties, 12,500 dead was before the vaccine was available. Hoping that COVID-19 deaths will be much lower.
2, Do the math, more testing means more cases, means that the denominator gets bigger and the death rate gets smaller. The 0.7% CDC currently states supersedes the 4.4% global death rate. So use the 0.7% not the 4.4%
3. Please post a link supporting the 2m US deaths in 2020. If you can't find a credible link stop posting nonsense. Your posts are generally unsupported bullshit, please try to debate using real facts, real links, not unsupported nonsense. Here is Dr. Fauci's early estimate, not 4.4%:
A Doctor’s Assessment of the COVID-19 Outbreak | National Review
"Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases at the National Institutes of Health, wrote that because of the high number of unreported cases, “the case fatality rate may be considerably less than 1% . . . ultimately more akin to those of a severe seasonal influenza (which has a case fatality rate of approximately 0.1%).”
(This is from Fauci, Lane, and Redfield, “Covid-19 — Navigating the Uncharted,” NEJM (2020 February 28): 1–2.)
4. All pandemics end, we can't hide in our safe rooms too long. The CDC doctors will tell us when its safe to come out.
5. Agree we do not want to play with fire. But we can't delay going back to work too long either.
When Trump haters like Paul Krugman support Trump's re-open when ready plan, you know the economy needs to re-start soon.
6. Was H1N1 a pandemic? What did we do back then? I don't recall shutting the counrty down for a month or two.
Let the doctors do their data analysis, and then when reasonably ready, start getting back to work.

1. H1N1 is not comparable to the coronavirus problem. The coronavirus is more deadly and more transmissible. That's why most countries in the world have instituted restriction that they didn't for H1N1. The listing of the total dead in a certain time frame is not an accurate way to compare coronavirus with H1N1. H1N1 ended almost 10 years ago. This Pandemic is new, far more deadly in terms of the chances of survival for those infected, and much more transmissible.

2. We don't know the exact death rate and won't no it until the crisis is over. There for you have to assume the worst case situation. Information from Washington state suggest a 5% death rate. The global figures suggest a 4.4% death rate. Yes, it may be lower than that, BUT AS A MATTER OF POLICY YOU NEVER ASSUME THAT, YOU ASSUME THE WORST BECAUSE PEOPLE'S LIVES ARE AT STAKE!

3. You don't post any links proving the economy some how needs to be re-opened again to non-essential services at all. I don't have the link but do remember reading the study that showed a worst case situation of 60% infection and 2.4 million dead over a year or two. I'm not going to have a handy link for every thing I post, and you've shown you certainly don't as well.

4. Have a link for that? Trump does is not paying attention to the medical professionals, he is paying attention to economist now. There is no acceptable reason that a non-essential goods or service should be re-opened while fighting a pandemic. That non-essential business is not more important than American lives. This is a war and you defeat the Pathogen before you re-open non-essential business.

5. Again, no link for this assumption. People in Essential services are still working. Other Business's are being converted to the production of medical supplies. In World War II, the economy switched from producing consumer goods to producing Tanks, armored vehicles, planes, Artillery, guns, bullets. That is what should be happening now with MEDICAL SUPPLIES until the PATHOGEN is defeated. If you're a patriot in this war and are not in an essential business, you suck it up and stay home! If non-essential services have to remain shut down until a vaccine is created to make it safe, then so be it. You take the hit and deal with the fallout later while in the meantime you save and protect lives and protect the healthcare system which everyone depends on.

6. H1N1 is not comparable to coronavirus. The Health and Science departments of nearly every country in the world would tell you that, which is why the current measures are in place around the world. Coronavirus is far more deadly and transmissible based on much of the data that has been available. You act on worst case situations in order to protect the people and the country as a whole. There is no reason to restart non-essential goods and services at this time. Defeat the Pathogen first. Then you can go back to business as usual.

7. As I write this, the United State is at 53,013 cases. Japan is at 1,193. The scale of Trump's failure in the early days of this crises grows by the day. Donald Trump now wants to compound the crises and get more people killed by re-opening non-essential business, just so you can see better numbers for himself. He is think about the rich and his re-election prospects, and not on protecting the American people. But Trump has a history of doing that. The Ukraine affair and his dealings with Russia showed that. Its about him, not America. That's why he has been impeached and if the Republican Senators had any sense of morality or standing up for America, or at least Reagan Republicans, they would have removed him from office earlier this year.
Somehow I knew Russia would find a way into this diatribe.

I think it's important to point out the positive news that is being lost sometimes when we talk about this virus, and that is that the survivability rate is nearly 99% and the total infected population is less than 1% of our entire population. Also 90% of the people tested so far in the US for coronavirus test negative for the virus based on the surgeon general's information, so the odds are very much in your favor. I'm not saying it shouldn't be taken seriously, not at all saying that, and we should make sure we are taking care of our most vulnerable, but this virus is thankfully not a death sentence for nearly all that might get it.

When it comes to slowly reopening the economy and resuming "normality" I would be willing to bet that most Americans would take the chance at resuming normality knowing that if they happen to get the virus after resuming life, which the odds are with you that you wouldn't actually get the virus, you have a near 99% chance of surviving. This is GOOD news and isn't shared enough in my opinion. It would also be fitting for the country to potentially see its emergence back into normality to coincide with Easter. That would be pretty cool in my opinion to celebrate Jesus's resurrection and also our country finally getting back to a sense of normality and recovering for millions of people. Pray that the social distancing continues to help and that another couple of weeks brings relief.

Your basing those percentages on incomplete information. The data from Washington State shows a 5% death rate. What you also don't realize is that many people suffer no symptoms but spread to other people or get KILLED BY THE PATHOGEN. Its not just about whether you live or die, its also whether are not YOU end up being a VECTOR FOR TRANSMISSION THAT KILLS ANOTHER PERSON! The best way not to be a vector of transmission that gets another human being is to STAY HOME!

This is a PANDEMIC and the death rate is only part of the issue, the other perhaps more important part is stopping the spread of this PATHOGEN! Re-opening non-essential business is a definite way to keep the pathogen alive and going.

It’s pretty much defeated itself through its unimpressive numbers
Set US free!!

The numbers grow by the day. Its only impressive when you can see spread stopping. Until that happens, its out of control. Coronavirus is very deadly and easily transmissible. The idiots that want to re-open non-essential business are going to get people killed!

Impressive is Japan with only 1,193 cases. Terrible is the United States with 53,000 cases now. Were at the start of this, so its not accurate to compare it to anything that was over and done with years ago.

Mostly we need an immediate lockdown of panic spreaders

We need a long down on people who don't listen to SCIENCE and health care professionals that are experts on pandemics. These people are as foolish as the kids on spring break this month at the beach.

World

Sure, there won't be any jobs to come back to but hey, the Gov can support us all. Right?

I'm sure some of the 11 million men who were drafted in World War II thought the same thing. Guess what your job in this war is, STAY HOME IF YOUR NOT IN AN ESSENTIAL BUSINESSS!

Forum List

Back