We found 85,000 cops who’ve been investigated for misconduct. Now you can read their records.

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
At least 85,000 law enforcement officers across the USA have been investigated or disciplined for misconduct over the past decade, an investigation by USA TODAY Network found.

Officers have beaten members of the public, planted evidence and used their badges to harass women. They have lied, stolen, dealt drugs, driven drunk and abused their spouses.

Despite their role as public servants, the men and women who swear an oath to keep communities safe can generally avoid public scrutiny for their misdeeds.

The records of their misconduct are filed away, rarely seen by anyone outside their departments. Police unions and their political allies have worked to put special protections in place ensuring some records are shielded from public view, or even destroyed.

Reporters from USA TODAY, its 100-plus affiliated newsrooms and the nonprofit Invisible Institute in Chicago have spent more than a year creating the biggest collection of police misconduct records.

Obtained from thousands of state agencies, prosecutors, police departments and sheriffs, the records detail at least 200,000 incidents of alleged misconduct, much of it previously unreported. The records obtained include more than 110,000 internal affairs investigations by hundreds of individual departments and more than 30,000 officers who were decertified by 44 state oversight agencies.​

Police misconduct: Discipline records for thousands of cops uncovered

Disband the police!!!

We'll start in the black, urban areas.

You can fend for yourselves

At least 85,000 law enforcement officers across the USA have been investigated or disciplined for misconduct over the past decade, an investigation by USA TODAY Network found.

Officers have beaten members of the public, planted evidence and used their badges to harass women. They have lied, stolen, dealt drugs, driven drunk and abused their spouses.

Despite their role as public servants, the men and women who swear an oath to keep communities safe can generally avoid public scrutiny for their misdeeds.

The records of their misconduct are filed away, rarely seen by anyone outside their departments. Police unions and their political allies have worked to put special protections in place ensuring some records are shielded from public view, or even destroyed.

Reporters from USA TODAY, its 100-plus affiliated newsrooms and the nonprofit Invisible Institute in Chicago have spent more than a year creating the biggest collection of police misconduct records.

Obtained from thousands of state agencies, prosecutors, police departments and sheriffs, the records detail at least 200,000 incidents of alleged misconduct, much of it previously unreported. The records obtained include more than 110,000 internal affairs investigations by hundreds of individual departments and more than 30,000 officers who were decertified by 44 state oversight agencies.​

Notice how the 33,000 officers were decertified by 44 states. How many retarded liberals in Congress have been decertified for being retarded? Zero, they run for president...

Disband the police!!!

That's your reaction? Not concern over how many officers have been investigated for misconduct, not worry that people will equate investigation with guilt, but a silly racial comment?
Yep. People make accusations. Cops get investigated. Cops are hated in da ghetto.

Let the mob fend for themselves.

Disband the police!!!

That's your reaction? Not concern over how many officers have been investigated for misconduct, not worry that people will equate investigation with guilt, but a silly racial comment?
Yep. People make accusations. Cops get investigated. Cops are hated in da ghetto.

I remember a few years back, when the Mayor of Baltimore allowed the ghetto kids to have some fun. Didnt go over too well for the residence of the local area, but the police were polite and didnt do shit, as ordered.

Across 10 years...
Avg 650,000 cops per year divided by 8500 avg incidences per year = .0013
FDA89083-9CAE-4D51-9FA6-E34AEA5F2E18.png

Disband the police!!!

I remember a few years back, when the Mayor of Baltimore allowed the ghetto kids to have some fun. Didnt go over too well for the residence of the local area, but the police were polite and didnt do shit, as ordered.
Baltimore has never recovered.

Once they started wearing gang tattoos like common criminals and defaced our flag it was obvious terrorist and thugs had taken over our police.

My reaction is to yawn and go on with my life. If I were able to spend the time going through the 85K incidents, I bet less than 10% of them would actually be of concern to me. 8500 officers in a 320 Million person population, over 10 years is a literally insignificant number in my mind.

My reaction is to yawn and go on with my life. If I were able to spend the time going through the 85K incidents, I bet less than 10% of them would actually be of concern to me. 8500 officers in a 320 Million person population, over 10 years is a literally insignificant number in my mind.
And 5hats assuming they are all GUILTY. These are INVESTIGATIONS

Serious question here. No sleight of hand, no ulterior motive intended. Presuming you personally support the reporting behind the article and associated reasons for investigating this issue, what alternative do you suggest to America's modern law enforcement organization and mission? Something to consider, and while I from personal relevant experience do not agree with either the reporting or the racially charged politicization of the issue, are the dual inescapable truths that power corrupts (having power over other people), and self-preservation (on the job) will always "trump" some dandy-do code of professional conduct cooked up by a politician who's never patrolled a beat. In other words, when an officer's life is threatened, he or she will most always look out for number one and the rest of the brotherhood, and worry a distant third about political correctness and the lives of those trying to "off" them. The usual objective: surviving to write the after action report and then and only then, pick up all the pieces wherever they've fallen.

Seems to me this article could be a rallying cry to abolish law enforcement in general or restrict its mandate to the point it's so neutered as to be simply men and women on parade in patrol cars and on foot, powerless to enforce laws of any kind. As most any adult American knows, human engineered systems--no more so than the bureaucracy of socio-political ones--are far from flawless and mistakes happen. In the case of law enforcement, mistakes often cost innocent lives. That being the case, think about how many more innocent lives will be lost without the boys and girls in blue to the rescue. Something to consider when riding that high-horse of moral outrage.

That's a reasonable reaction, I think.

That number is minimal when your talking about a decade and the amount of police officers in the US. The story is a joke What is it about 1% a year investigated for misconduct. Half of those are bullshit investigations that go nowhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to keep in mind is that regardless of the percentage, police misconduct is a very serious issue. Police are in a position of great power over the average citizen. When they act inappropriately, they can have a disproportionate impact on someone's life.

So, while the study may not indicate some sort of epidemic of police misconduct, neither should it simply be dismissed, I think.

Serious question here. No sleight of hand, no ulterior motive intended. Presuming you personally support the reporting behind the article and associated reasons for investigating this issue, what alternative do you suggest to America's modern law enforcement organization and mission? Something to consider, and while I from personal relevant experience do not agree with either the reporting or the racially charged politicization of the issue, are the dual inescapable truths that power corrupts (having power over other people), and self-preservation (on the job) will always "trump" some dandy-do code of professional conduct cooked up by a politician who's never patrolled a beat. In other words, when an officer's life is threatened, he or she will most always look out for number one and the rest of the brotherhood, and worry a distant third about political correctness and the lives of those trying to "off" them. The usual objective: surviving to write the after action report and then and only then, pick up all the pieces wherever they've fallen.

Seems to me this article could be a rallying cry to abolish law enforcement in general or restrict its mandate to the point it's so neutered as to be simply men and women on parade in patrol cars and on foot, powerless to enforce laws of any kind. As most any adult American knows, human engineered systems--no more so than the bureaucracy of socio-political ones--are far from flawless and mistakes happen. In the case of law enforcement, mistakes often cost innocent lives. That being the case, think about how many more innocent lives will be lost without the boys and girls in blue to the rescue. Something to consider when riding that high-horse of moral outrage.
I found nothing objectionable in your comment until you got to the last sentence or so because it seems that you're offended that police officers who are corrupt or engaging in misconduct are being exposed and hopefully held accountable? Or not allowed to simply move on to a different agency and continue their bad and unlawful behavior?

Do you work in law enforcement or an affiliated field?

One thing to keep in mind is that regardless of the percentage, police misconduct is a very serious issue. Police are in a position of great power over the average citizen. When they act inappropriately, they can have a disproportionate impact on someone's life.

So, while the study may not indicate some sort of epidemic of police misconduct, neither should it simply be dismissed, I think.

They do more good then bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back