Waterboarding? 183 Times? Wrong...

Burp

Always carry, never tell
Jan 22, 2009
A U.S. official with knowledge of the interrogation program told FOX News that the much-cited figure represents the number of times water was poured onto Mohammed's face -- not the number of times the CIA applied the simulated-drowning technique on the terror suspect. According to a 2007 Red Cross report, he was subjected a total of "five sessions of ill-treatment."

"The water was poured 183 times -- there were 183 pours," the official explained, adding that "each pour was a matter of seconds."

The Times and dozens of other outlets wrote that the CIA also waterboarded senior Al Qaeda member Abu Zubaydah 83 times, but Zubayda himself, a close associate of Usama bin Laden, told the Red Cross he was waterboarded no more than 10 times.

A close look at a Red Cross report on the interrogations makes the numbers even clearer.

As the Red Cross noted: "The suffocation procedure was applied [to Abu Zubaydah] during five sessions of ill-treatment ... in 2002. During each session, apart from one, the suffocation technique was applied once or twice; on one occasion it was applied three times."

The total number of applications: between eight and 10 -- not the 83 mentioned in the Times.

Despite Reports, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Was Not Waterboarded 183 Times - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com
-----

This is the new Democratic math. Kind of like the "90% of firearms in Mexico" math.

All you Obamatrons let me down. I thought for sure you would put your spin on this story..say it isn't true.

Of course, once the truth comes out, you are all too embarrassed to even post.

Typical.

And you are a fool. We hung some Japanese soldiers for doing that to our boys. As McCain stated, it isn't so much what torture does to the terrorists, as what it does to us. The people that set this up should see jail time.

Dude, I don't care how many times he was waterboarded or how many "pours" were made. To me, it's the principality of the issue.

You are only fooling yourself if you think you are making some kind of a point here.

A U.S. official with knowledge of the interrogation program told FOX News that the much-cited figure represents the number of times water was poured onto Mohammed's face -- not the number of times the CIA applied the simulated-drowning technique on the terror suspect. According to a 2007 Red Cross report, he was subjected a total of "five sessions of ill-treatment."

"The water was poured 183 times -- there were 183 pours," the official explained, adding that "each pour was a matter of seconds."

The Times and dozens of other outlets wrote that the CIA also waterboarded senior Al Qaeda member Abu Zubaydah 83 times, but Zubayda himself, a close associate of Usama bin Laden, told the Red Cross he was waterboarded no more than 10 times.

A close look at a Red Cross report on the interrogations makes the numbers even clearer.

As the Red Cross noted: "The suffocation procedure was applied [to Abu Zubaydah] during five sessions of ill-treatment ... in 2002. During each session, apart from one, the suffocation technique was applied once or twice; on one occasion it was applied three times."

The total number of applications: between eight and 10 -- not the 83 mentioned in the Times.

Despite Reports, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed Was Not Waterboarded 183 Times - Presidential Politics | Political News - FOXNews.com
-----

This is the new Democratic math. Kind of like the "90% of firearms in Mexico" math.

Clearly you were too busy playing your cowbell to read the official Khalid Sheik Mohammad Waterboarding transcript:

http://www.usmessageboard.com/law-a...for-full-release-of-memos-18.html#post1187904

Count the number of times you see "splash, splash, gurgle, gurgle, splash, gurgle, splash".

We hung some Japanese soldiers for doing that to our boys.

But the Japanese didn't have a board-certified American-residency trained doctor present - which is the only thing which prevents waterboarding from being torture.

All you Obamatrons let me down. I thought for sure you would put your spin on this story..say it isn't true.

Of course, once the truth comes out, you are all too embarrassed to even post.

Typical.

The real question is why you would post something from Fox News and expect anyone who does not rely on the Murdoch outlets for their worldview to be persuaded by it.

Fox states:

The New York Times reported last week that Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 terror attacks, was waterboarded 183 times in one month by CIA interrogators. The "183 times" was widely circulated by news outlets throughout the world.

That makes it sound like the NYT came up with the 183 figure. But as I understand it, that figure came from the CIA memos. In true "fair and balanced" fashion, Fox doesn't mention that little bit of information.

Fox's claim that the 183 was for each pour lasting only "a matter of seconds" was from an unidentified "U.S. official with knowledge of the interrogation"

Sorry if I'm not blown over by the evidence.

Last edited:
And you are a fool. We hung some Japanese soldiers for doing that to our boys. As McCain stated, it isn't so much what torture does to the terrorists, as what it does to us. The people that set this up should see jail time.

No, we didn't.

No, we didn't.

I haven't seen evidence we hung anyone solely for waterboarding. However Japs were prosecuted and sentenced 15 years hard labor solely for waterboarding. The US treated it as a war crime.

This sounds just like the bullshit email going around now that Ollie North while talking to AL Gore in 1987 said he had put fencing around his house to protect his family from Ossama the Mama.

First it was the terrorists Abu Nidal, the North was worried about and second it was John Kerry he was talking to. He also took money illegally to have the fence put up.

Just keep putting out the lies and hope they stick, right?

Mohammed similarly told the Red Cross that "I was also subjected to 'water-boarding' on five occasions, all of which occurred during the first month." Those were his five "sessions"; the precise number of applications is not known but is a fraction of the 183 figure.

It wasn't 183. He admitted it himself.

Thank you for posting this information - I had it sent to me earlier this morning but did not get around to posting it myself in this particularly forum.

Ah, the New York Times, such an example of modern over-emotionalized journalism where facts are mere obstacles to creating the pre-determined feeling among its readers...

Nope they were hung for the rape and murder of hundreds of innocent people (including children). You lying nitwit.

This sounds just like the bullshit email going around now that Ollie North while talking to AL Gore in 1987 said he had put fencing around his house to protect his family from Ossama the Mama.

First it was the terrorists Abu Nidal, the North was worried about and second it was John Kerry he was talking to. He also took money illegally to have the fence put up.

Just keep putting out the lies and hope they stick, right?

Ollie North is one of the biggest liars I've seen. And not just the lies he was convicted for.

But Hannity loves him.

No, we didn't.

I haven't seen evidence we hung anyone solely for waterboarding. However Japs were prosecuted and sentenced 15 years hard labor solely for waterboarding. The US treated it as a war crime.

That is not true either. Annie posted an article in the last thread you repeated this, stating the soldiers procecuted also burned people with cig's,beat them etc.. They didn't just get sentenced for "waterboarding".

Forum List

Back