Watching our economic competitor

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ScreamingEagle, Aug 8, 2006.

1. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    Africa is becoming the new economic battleground:

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    And America might actully be able to compete in the market if oppressive tax and labor codes didn't drive up the price of manufactured goods so much.

3. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    African economies may be growing, but I don't think we'll have to "compete" with them anytime soon. Have you seen them? Most of the savages over there still wear loin cloths and live in huts made out of animal skins.

4. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    China will fall by the wayside within 20 years or so. With an aging population and plummeting birthrates due to their aggressive enforcement of their "one child policy", they won't have a workforce available to sustain the economy.

5. Bullypulpit

Bullypulpit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    Nothing like a race to the bottom, is there? That's what you're advocating...Unsafe working conditions...Environmental pollution...Low wages...A declining standard of living for American workers. Better if America insisted on fair wage and labor standards for workers in the foreign nations our government negotiates trade deals with. But that would mean the multinational corporations would only make reasonable profits rather than insane profits.

6. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    and other countries. This is really long, this is less than 1/3 the essay. There are others that have been saying similiar, but for different reasons. Mostly one is going to find these in think tank, university, foreign policy, and military sources. I like Peters, so that's the one I'll site:

http://www.carlisle.army.mil/usawc/parameters/03autumn/peters.htm

7. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Wow, you're even more delusional than I thought. First off, there's corporate income tax. Corporate income tax takes a huge, wet bite out of all revenues, and since only individuals can pay taxes, the consumer ends up paying corporate income tax. Then we have some states' rediculous minimum wage laws which drive up the cost of business, which also drives up the prices. As for the third thing, I'm all in favor of safe labor practices, but when it becomes the corporations fault when an employee is stupid around dangerous equipment and all employers are required to give health insurance that covers aromatherapy, I draw a line. The limitations on corporate behavior in this country are downright appalling, and in the end, it hurts everybody.

8. BaronVonBigmeat

BaronVonBigmeat Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Nope, especially when it's lower prices for consumers. Companies must pass along savings or get their throats cut by competitors.

9. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I've been saying we should go into Africa for years. Now it looks to be almost too late.

10. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Interesting though, that in the midst of WOT, which started 9 months after taking office, GW has spent more investing in Africa and trying to rebuild some bridges in the Americas, than any president before. So far, this has been ignored by everyone-right, left, MSM. Reminds me of the 'rediscovery' of what Nixon did right in his terms, without the scandals of course.