Watch the career bureaucrats scream when they get pushed out...

RadiomanATL

Jun 13, 2009
Not here
Lawrence Mayor lays off planner he couldn't fire - EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA

LAWRENCE — Two days after surviving efforts by Mayor William Lantigua to fire him, Planning Director Michael Sweeney was laid off last night.

Sweeney was one of several city employees receiving termination notices yesterday. Leonard Degnan, Lantigua's chief of staff, said notices were delivered by constables to as many as nine others. But he wouldn't identify them because several of them were away and hadn't been notified yet.

The Lantigua administration may be laying off more employees next week as it continues drastic measures to resolve the budget crisis plaguing city government. "There's going to be more layoffs right up until July because we have to reduce the budget deficit," Degnan said.

Sweeney said a constable came to his home about 7 p.m. to serve a termination notice informing him he was being "laid off due to fiscal constraints."

"I am confident that the public will see this for what it is — a political vendetta without merit or honor," Sweeney said in an interview last night.

"The emotion this brings is saddening because I feel badly for the taxpayers of Massachusetts because they pay the bills in Lawrence," Sweeney said. "There are serious violations of the law being committed by the Lantigua administration and at the end of the day, all of us as taxpayers are going to feel the negative financial ramifications from Mayor Lantigua's illegal actions."

Sweeney was making $75,000 as planning director, $26,000 as the city's Title One coordinator and another $25,000 as parking director, according to Degnan.

"Mike Sweeney was part of a five-year failed administration that left us $24.5 million in the hole," Degnan said in response to Sweeney's complaints.

Ha ha, using red tape to fire him is a perfect touch of irony & vendetta.

Works fer me.

I don't know who was right in the little vendetta that they were having, but I like the fact that the mayor just eliminated the job. Trimming the fat from the budget :clap2:

The mayor is also a state rep, so he gets two pensions...................

He's under serious attack.........

Sweeney said a constable came to his home about 7 p.m. to serve a termination notice informing him he was being "laid off due to fiscal constraints."

"I am confident that the public will see this for what it is — a political vendetta without merit or honor," Sweeney said in an interview last night.

"The emotion this brings is saddening because I feel badly for the taxpayers of Massachusetts because they pay the bills in Lawrence," Sweeney said. "There are serious violations of the law being committed by the Lantigua administration and at the end of the day, all of us as taxpayers are going to feel the negative financial ramifications from Mayor Lantigua's illegal actions."

crying-baby.jpg

And this guy is a LOW LEVEL Beaurocrat. Guess how difficult it would be to dismantal the Department of Health and Human Services from the Federal Level!!

And Some still wonder why growing beaurocracies are a BAD IDEA!!?

Forum List

Back