Was Moses just high?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Ravi, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,828
    Researcher: Moses was tripping at Mount Sinai
    By Ofri Ilani

"And all the people perceived the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the voice of the horn, and the mountain smoking." Thus the book of Exodus describes the impressive moment of the giving of the Torah on Mount Sinai.

The "perceiving of the voices" has been interpreted endlessly since these words were first written. When Professor Benny Shanon, professor of cognitive psychology at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, reads the verse, he recalls a powerful hallucinatory experience he had when he visited the Amazon and drank a potion made from a plant called ayahuasca.
    Advertisement

"One of the things that happens when you drink the potion is a visual experience created via sounds," he says.

2. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    Lets see.... Rain forest ..... Barren Desert. Ya those are similar.

Drugged out intelligensia ...... Religious leader.... again, such a similar comparison.

Further the drug this "professor" took acted on just HIM. How exactly would Moses being high effect the multitude of his followers? Ohh wait, I know, he had them drink the kool aid first right?

3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,828
    Touchy?

The same type of vision inducing drugs grow in the middle east. Drugs have been used by spiritual leaders in many cultures but not necessarily by their followers. It doesn't discount that he had the spiritual interaction, just an interesting bit of research.

4. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    I firmly believe that the person who wrote Revelations was zoinked out of his fucking gourd... I don't know about Moses though. It really doesn't take psychedelics to wander in from the woods claiming that an angel told you where golded plates are burried that no one is allowed to see but conveys the north American adventures of jebus.... Isn't that right, RGS?

5. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    Except for the slight problem he had witnesses to the plates and the translations.....

6. Shogun

Shogun Free: Mudholes Stomped

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,260
    hehehe..

yea... sure he did.

say.. where are those golden plates now, dude?

7. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,989
    Who cares?

8. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    The bible says that those who haven't accepted the Holy Spirit view faith as "foolishness" and it's true. Just as man speaks to men, so God only speaks to those who have the Holy Spirit within them. Those who don't just don't get it, and they won't until they ask Jesus to come into their hearts. THey don't even really have to believe it. It's just the asking that gets him there. From there it's nothing but up.

I find it laughable the extremes to which people will go to disprove that which is actually much easier to believe because of their hatred of the concept of God. THey'd rather make up a completely imaginary drug fest, for which there is less proof than there is for a supreme being, than actually concede that there MIGHT be a God, and he MIGHT have actually spoken to God and people might ACTUALLY have heard him.

Don't you ever wonder where all that creative hatred comes from? You might want to think it's "reason" or maybe "drugs" making you act irrationally.

Myself, I think it's the devil using morons to do his bidding.

9. Larkinn

Larkinn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +175
    Actually there are lots of Buddhists, Hindus and those of other religions who haven't accepted the holy spirit and do not view faith as foolish.

No, actually. Most people I know who have truly asked never "found" religion.

Oh, well, because something is easier to believe that makes it true. :rolleyes:

And we MIGHT be in the Matrix. Watch out Neo!

Where the Hatred comes from? The Crusades. The Priest sex abuse scandal. Religious whackos who tell gays they are going to hell. Where was god then?

You disagree with me?...then you must be posessed! WhooooOooOOOOOo!!

10. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,828
    Where are you getting that this guy has some hatred of God?