Was it all for nothing? The Tunisian crucible of the Arab Spring

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I really thought Tunisia was doing better than this. The Arab Spring seems to have turned into a cold winter in the country where it all started.

#Tunisia

Their cry for food and dignity sparked a wave of revolts across the Arab world. But five years on, the people of Sidi Bouzid are largely ignored

000_Nic6519813.jpg

A woman sweeps on Mohamed Bouazizi Avenue in Sidi Bouzid on 14 December, 2015 (AFP)

Conor McCormick-Cavanagh

Wednesday 16 December 2015 19:22 UTC
Last update:
Thursday 17 December 2015 12:25 UTC
4661googleplus0132
Topics:
Tunisia
Tags:
Sidi Bouzid, Mohamed Bouazizi, Arab Spring, Tunisia
Show comments
SIDI BOUZID, Tunisia - In downtown Sidi Bouzid, a few blocks from where Mohamed Bouazizi burned himself alive, a replica of his vegetable cart stands high above the street. An inscription reads: “Tunisia above everything.”

Two young boys stand nearby. When asked what they dream of becoming in life, the boys, both 12, respond respectively: “A police officer so I can carry a gun” and “a football player for Olympique Sidi Bouzid”.

Their answers are cliche for young boys, but symbolic nonetheless. Sidi Bouzid’s only source of dignity since the revolution has been its football team and many of its residents see the country returning back to a one-party system which dominated for decades in the form of a police state.

- See more at:

In another thread a poster said Tunisia was doing better since the Arab Spring. Maybe his definition of better is like Clinton's definition of the word "is."

What the hell is wrong with Islam that they need to fight, not only with the rest of the world, but within their own religion?

I really thought Tunisia was doing better than this. The Arab Spring seems to have turned into a cold winter in the country where it all started.
Well if you will believe in slogans invented by journalists you'll have a hard landing.

#Tunisia

Their cry for food and dignity sparked a wave of revolts across the Arab world. But five years on, the people of Sidi Bouzid are largely ignored

000_Nic6519813.jpg

A woman sweeps on Mohamed Bouazizi Avenue in Sidi Bouzid on 14 December, 2015 (AFP)

Conor McCormick-Cavanagh

Wednesday 16 December 2015 19:22 UTC
Last update:
Thursday 17 December 2015 12:25 UTC
4661googleplus0132
Topics:
Tunisia
Tags:
Sidi Bouzid, Mohamed Bouazizi, Arab Spring, Tunisia
Show comments
SIDI BOUZID, Tunisia - In downtown Sidi Bouzid, a few blocks from where Mohamed Bouazizi burned himself alive, a replica of his vegetable cart stands high above the street. An inscription reads: “Tunisia above everything.”

Two young boys stand nearby. When asked what they dream of becoming in life, the boys, both 12, respond respectively: “A police officer so I can carry a gun” and “a football player for Olympique Sidi Bouzid”.

Their answers are cliche for young boys, but symbolic nonetheless. Sidi Bouzid’s only source of dignity since the revolution has been its football team and many of its residents see the country returning back to a one-party system which dominated for decades in the form of a police state.

- See more at:

whatever were BOUAZIZI's motives------the early movement was NOT FOR
NOTHING-----it very very quickly became exactly what it is today. A bloody
JIHAD MESS FOR THE GLORY OF ALLAH......very bloody-----and getting
more bloody-------Bouazizi probably had entirely other expectations

Libya is training the hardline Islamists of Tunisia. Like the ones that have carried out the terror attacks and sent tourism in Tunisia down the toilet.

You know. Libya. That country Obama and Hillary were bringing democracy to. Now run by jihadists.

In another thread a poster said Tunisia was doing better since the Arab Spring. Maybe his definition of better is like Clinton's definition of the word "is."

What the hell is wrong with Islam that they need to fight, not only with the rest of the world, but within their own religion?

That was G5000 I believe. The libs on the board can't let go of the fake revolt to bring Sunnis into power across the ME errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the Arab Spring.

ETA: one has to understand Islam to understand the Sunnis won't rest till they wipe Shia off the planet.

Libya is training the hardline Islamists of Tunisia. Like the ones that have carried out the terror attacks and sent tourism in Tunisia down the toilet.

You know. Libya. That country Obama and Hillary were bringing democracy to. Now run by jihadists.

your point? yes I know Libya-----it is full of islamists of the SYED AND TASHFEEN variety and they want Tunisian muslims to do that kind of stuff.
What is there about this situation that surprises you? Let me introduce you
to ISLAM and its supremacist doctrine

That was G5000 I believe. The libs on the board can't let go of the fake revolt to bring Sunnis into power across the ME errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr the Arab Spring.

ETA: one has to understand Islam to understand the Sunnis won't rest till they wipe Shia off the planet.

oh ----you know-------uhm....not just Shiites--------actually all non-sunnis

oh ----you know-------uhm....not just Shiites--------actually all non-sunnis

Truth out for certain. But freewill was trying to understand why they fight within their own religion. I know I've never seen Northern Baptists blowing up Southern Baptists before.

:)

Last edited:
And then to imagine that Saudi and the rest will allow 'secular Sunnism'. Hoho.

Note the more secular a state was the more Sunni Arabia wanted it overthrown.

Forum List

Back