War on Terror?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by scubamike, Jun 3, 2004.

1. scubamike

scubamike Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A good point from an interview I just saw:

"Much much more serious than the fact that governments have adopted (the "War on Terror"), is that the press have adopted it, that the media have adopted it. When ever you turn on the television you see ‘War On Terror’ at the top. Newspaper headlines on the ‘War on Terror’.

It is not a war on terror; it is a war on America’s enemies.

If we want a war on terror we would have an international court, which is what the American’s pulled out of, to try people who use violence in this way. We are fighting America’s enemies, and they are fighting back."

Full Interview with Robert Fisk

2. JIHADTHIS

JIHADTHIS Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Sorry, this is another load of horseshit.

War was declared on the US and the "West" by the Islamists. The Clintonian legal action against these people didn't work before, it was seen as a sign of weakness. I guess you would have taken Hitler to court and sued him?

If you are an infidel, you are a target. We are the only country that is starting to see it for what it really is and are going on the offensive.

Your world court is about as useful as the UN (Useless Nations)right now.....

3. DKSuddeth

DKSuddeth Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Ask the spaniards, australians, phillipines, and now the saudis if it is just a war on america's enemies.

4. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Aw-not to worry. I am sure that eventually, NZ will have thier own war on terror.

How naive.

How comforting and easy it must be to cast disparging remarks for the relative safety of what ever it is SCUBA calls home!

SCUBA - if your country never suffers a terrorist attack, you will be able to thank us for fighting our "American War".

Looser.

:321:

p.s. - DK - this is not directed at you - only used your quote for emphasis.

5. st8_o_mind

st8_o_mind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I disagree. The WOT, like the occupation of Iraq, cannot be won by military means alone. It seems obvious. U.S. forces crushed Saddam's military, but the subsequent terrorist attacks against coalition forces, the UN, and Iraqi and foreigners cooperating with the coalition authority has increased, claiming more lives than the war itself.

To win, both in Iraq and in the wider war on terror, the U.S. and the rest of the world needs to fight with social, economic, political, diplomatic resources as well. NZ is quite correct in noting that one of those tools in the ICC, which the U.S. was instrumental in negotiating, but abandoned.

6. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    uh- ok. Must be scary living in oblivion - obviously. "...but the subsequent terrorist attacks against coalition forces, the UN, and Iraqi and foreigners cooperating with the coalition authority has increased, claiming more lives than the war itself". By definition of the very word WAR, lives are lost. Did you think the terroists, who happen to be combatants in this war, were just going to stand by and do nothing? If you have a different concept and proof of what happens during a war, please share it with us.

It should be noted however that it is faily common that when cockroaches are elimintaed from one apartment, they flee to the next and so on. To fully eliminate them, one must take care of all the apartments.

We will just clean the apartment of NZ last so they can enjoy the full benefit of the vermin first and then gain some humility and appreciation.

7. st8_o_mind

st8_o_mind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough. Then to use the Presidents words, "major combat operations." Apart from that split hair, you didn't come near the point of my post which, in short, was that in order to be effective in the WOT, the US and others need to employ tools other than the military, as shown by the success of the invasion but the failure of the occupation.

8. st8_o_mind

st8_o_mind Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If I did piss on your castle, would you make your wife wash the tires or would you do it yourself?

9. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    In your picture, which one of the three are you?

I bet the one on the right.

10. NewGuy

NewGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    She is also a cat.

I will let you draw the inferences. :D ;)