Want To See A REAL Hate Crime?

and WHO decides whether to charge a hate crime? I can tell you without doubt that if that charge is thrown in there it is rarely going to be a not guilty when the defendant is found guilty of actually committing the crime. So essence the state will be deciding what is and what is not a so called hate crime.

The DA decides whether to charge a hate crime.

Yes, of course it's the state that decides what is and what is not a hate crime. That's what the state does -defines and prosecutes crimes. Not sure where you are going with this post.

You say Hate Crime Legislation is race neutral and I absolutely agree with that statement. However, I would ask this question of you. Do you think prosecution of Hate Crimes is race neutral or sexual orientation neutral? I don't think it is.

No, prosecution of hate crimes is not race/sexual orientation neutral at all. Why? Because it is usually minority race members and gay people who are on the receiving end of hate crimes. So what? Are you trying to argue that because one segment of society seems to commit hate crimes more than any other, they should not receive increased punishment for committing such crimes? I trust you do see the fallacy of such an argument, if that's what you are saying.

That being said, and both of us understanding that the legislation is neutral when it comes to the victim, can you tell me that you really believe that latinos who beat a white man screaming, "damned gringos" while they do so, would be charged with a hate crime rather than just assault? Some how, I think prosecution in this case would be lacking.

I can absolutely guarantee you that the Latinos would be prosecuted for a hate crime, same as a white guy would if the situation was reversed. Prosecutors (at least the ones I have known) prosecute. They don't give a damn who the defendant is - all they want to know is, can they prove the crime in front of a jury?

OK - I understand that view. I certainly do not agree with it, but I understand that it is your view. We have a basic disagreement here, wouldn't you say? So - how about those Giants, huh?

Well, I'm at a loss at how you disagree with the thought that a victim isn't deader because of the motivation of the perp.

The victim is deader?

On the contrary, I fully agree that a victim is just as dead, regardless of the motivation of the perp.

So please explain why involuntary manslaughter can get a perp as little as three years in state prison while a murder for hire can get a perp executed. In both cases, the victim is just as dead.

Accidental death vs premeditated murder.

and what makes this more serious than if they did it to a Hetero person?

Some folks would like us to institute 'thought crimes.'

We already have them....called premeditation and degree of intent. But it still has to be proved in a court of law as does hate crime intent.

Yes, but hate crime laws are still different. These examples are all about establishing "what" happened. Was it premeditated? Was the intent to kill? Hate crimes are all about establishing "why," and that's not something I'm crazy about legislating mandatory sentencing around.

Why do you see the victim in this case as being more deserving of retribution than a straight white kid who was beaten and robbed simply because he was an easy target?

Immie

Because a racially motivated attack is more culpable than an attack for non-racial reasons. It is not so much providing retirubtion to the victim as it is a desire to prevent such crimes from happening in the first place. The idea is, that increased punishment will act as a deterrent.

Why is there more interest in deterring racially motivated attacks than in deterring "regular" assaults? Because racially motivated attacks are more culpable.

You don't think they are?

So you think the death penalty acts as a deterrent?

What makes it more serious is the MOTIVATION for the crime. This is a crime that would never have been commited but for the sexual orientation/ethnic origin of the victim. Had a straight, white guy been standing there, nothing would have happened.

Crimes such as these are more serious than "plain" assaults, because of the motivation for the attack. You may disagree - but the legislature feels hate crimes should be punished more severely, which is why hate crime legislation has been enacted.

Question:

If you consider this a hate crime because it was only done based on the sexuality of the victim. Could you then consider all rapes hate crimes? As it is a male offender perpetrating his crime on someone solely because it is a female?

The VAST majority of rapes involve male on female - obviously. I will concede that it is possible for females to rape males or to have same sex rape. But the overwhelming majority of rapes are male on female.

Technically, male on female rape is a hate crime. But what would you do - increase the punishment for male on female rape over . . . what?

I actually consider all violent crimes hate crimes. It's the selective enforcement that really pisses me off. The hypocritical nature of the beast, the arrogance that they think they know better.

All violent crimes are hate crimes. But not all violent crimes are racially motivated crimes, and therein lies the distinction.

Intent is never a question in any other crime? Hate crime legislation simply codifies THAT intent. See. it isn't so hard, is it?

It does more than that. It establishes a greater penalty, selectively with prejudice.

Prejudice against whom - racists who attack others for racially motivated reasons? Damn right. As Barb has noted - the more serious the crime, the more serious the penalty.

Prejudice against those assaulted for reasons other than Racism. PC School for Felon's- How to avoid Hate Crime Charges selecting your victims more intelligently. Recycle through the system faster, get more done, just avoid the protected classes. It's all bullshit George.

OK - done answering all the posts I am going to respond to for now.

One final thing at this point: I have YET to see ANYONE distinguish increased punishment for the varying intent levels of manslaughter and murder, from hate crime legislation.
Kill someone by accident in your car and you might get off with a year in county jail. Pay to have someone killed, and you could get the death penalty. In both cases, the victim is just as dead. Yet the criminal justice system (and I would assume most people as well) have no difficulty whatsoever in executing the capital murderer and giving the negligenct vehicular homicide person a relatively short time in custody. Why? Because the different levels of intent are obvious.

You hate crime legislation opponents need to recognize that, just as in the law of homicide, there is a different level of intent between a simple assault and a racially motivated assault. Your refusal to recognize this distinction tells me that you all really don't see a racially motivated assault as any worse than a regular assault.

And THAT speaks worlds about where you are coming from if you are opposing hate crime legislation.

I actually consider all violent crimes hate crimes. It's the selective enforcement that really pisses me off. The hypocritical nature of the beast, the arrogance that they think they know better.

All violent crimes are hate crimes. But not all violent crimes are racially motivated crimes, and therein lies the distinction.

As opposed to hurting Someone because of Political Affiliation.

Maybe because of Where They Live?

Maybe because of How They Live?

Maybe Because They supported the wrong Sports Team?

Maybe Because They don't belong to a Union?

Maybe Because they do belong to a Union?

Maybe Because what school they attend?

Who here convicted of a serious assault would you argue for a lesser sentence because it wasn't racially motivated?

and WHO decides whether to charge a hate crime? I can tell you without doubt that if that charge is thrown in there it is rarely going to be a not guilty when the defendant is found guilty of actually committing the crime. So essence the state will be deciding what is and what is not a so called hate crime.

The DA decides whether to charge a hate crime.

Yes, of course it's the state that decides what is and what is not a hate crime. That's what the state does -defines and prosecutes crimes. Not sure where you are going with this post.

it is not supposed to be , it is supposed to the JURIES who decide how long of a sentence a criminal should receive, not a DA.

Hate crimes have been discussed here for a long time. Much of the discussion is unfocused and many of the opinions expressed based upon incomplete information. Want to see what a real hate crime looks like? I just took this case in. The arrest report contains the following:

"The victim is standing in the rear alley of his apartment talking to friends. The suspects are also in the alley, and begin yelling at the victim, calling him a 'fag' and a 'faggot.' The victim, who is gay, ignores the suspects. The suspects then approach the victim and begin hitting him with their closed fists in the face and head area. The victm falls to the ground, and the suspects begin kicking the victim in the head. While the suspects are hitting and kicking the victim, the suspects continue to call the victim a 'fag' and 'fucking faggot.' One of the suspects also states, 'you should die' and 'go back to Mexico." The suspects then search the victims pants pockets, and one of the suspects removes the victim's immigration papers from his pants pockets. The suspects then flee on foot, W/B through the alley and out of sight."
Note that here is no question here as to WHY the suspects were attacking and robbing the victim - they SAY SO throughout the attack and the robbery.

All right, hate crime apologists - have at it. Come on and defend these animals.

I agree that this is hateful, but I still have a problem criminalizing thought. Last time I looked beating someone up and robbing them is illegal, why try to make it more illegal to attack some people and not others?

and what makes this more serious than if they did it to a Hetero person?

What makes it more serious is the MOTIVATION for the crime. This is a crime that would never have been commited but for the sexual orientation/ethnic origin of the victim. Had a straight, white guy been standing there, nothing would have happened.

Crimes such as these are more serious than "plain" assaults, because of the motivation for the attack. You may disagree - but the legislature feels hate crimes should be punished more severely, which is why hate crime legislation has been enacted.

Can you prove that? All you are doing is stating an opinion, and calling on us to support you because you believe that the only reason this happened was because the victim is gay. Do you even have conclusive proof that he hasn't insulted these people in the past? That the real reason that they attacked him is that he is a total dickwad who thinks that the world should bow to him and that he routinely parks his car in the handicapped parking spot?

You do not have all the facts, and you are asking the government to punish people based on your perceptions. Isn't that exactly what you are condemning the perpetrators of this crime of?

So you are saying that the suspects in this case should NOT be punished more severely than anyone else who commits a "plain" assault on a victim? Sure sounds to me as if you are defending the animals in this case.
they should recieve the full punishment for the crime, regardless of WHO it was done to

equal justice under the law
if someone attacks me they should receive the same punishment

Wrong analysis. Hate crime legislation does not single out one class of citizens for punishment. Anyone (white, black or green) can commit a hate crime. If we had a hate crime statute that said: "Any white person who attacks any person of a minority race for racially motivated reasons is guilty of . . . " then there would be an equal protection argument. But that is not the way hate crime statutes are written.

No, they are written based on the perceived thoughts and emotions of the people committing the crimes. How do you justify that under the Constitution again?

Because of what the suspects said during the attack. Their motivation is clear here.
what if the guy wasnt actually gay?

Interesting question. I think the crime would have been complete, but you might have more trouble getting a prosecutor to file on it. Good quesiton.

The incidence of violence motivated by the actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability of the victim poses a serious national problem.

Bill Text - 111th Congress (2009-2010) - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Actual or perceived. Justice is supposed to be blind. Prosecutors do not need to provide motive to prove any other criminal act, why change the rules now?

It does more than that. It establishes a greater penalty, selectively with prejudice.

Prejudice against whom - racists who attack others for racially motivated reasons? Damn right. As Barb has noted - the more serious the crime, the more serious the penalty.

Prejudice against those assaulted for reasons other than Racism. PC School for Felon's- How to avoid Hate Crime Charges selecting your victims more intelligently. Recycle through the system faster, get more done, just avoid the protected classes. It's all bullshit George.

but why the objection to hate crimes legislation? if it's all the same, why do you care?

Forum List

Back