Wahhabism to ISIS: how Saudi Arabia exported the main source of global terrorism

dani67

Gold Member
Dec 21, 2015
iran
Wahhabism to ISIS: how Saudi Arabia exported the main source of global terrorism
Although IS is certainly an Islamic movement, it is neither typical nor mired in the distant past, because its roots are in Wahhabism, a form of Islam practised in Saudi Arabia that developed only in the 18th century.
BY KAREN ARMSTRONG

As the so-called Islamic State demolishes nation states set up by the Europeans almost a century ago, IS’s obscene savagery seems to epitomise the violence that many believe to be inherent in religion in general and Islam in particular. It also suggests that the neoconservative ideology that inspired the Iraq war was delusory, since it assumed that the liberal nation state was an inevitable outcome of modernity and that, once Saddam’s dictatorship had gone, Iraq could not fail to become a western-style democracy. Instead, IS, which was born in the Iraq war and is intent on restoring the premodern autocracy of the caliphate, seems to be reverting to barbarism. On 16 November, the militants released a video showing that they had beheaded a fifth western hostage, the American aid worker Peter Kassig, as well as several captured Syrian soldiers. Some will see the group’s ferocious irredentism as proof of Islam’s chronic inability to embrace modern values.

more: Wahhabism to ISIS: how Saudi Arabia exported the main source of global terrorism

Saudi Arabia 'funding Islamic extremism in the West', German vice-chancellor Sigmar Gabriel claims
'We have to make clear to the Saudis that the time of looking away is over,' the politician says
facebook.png

twitter.png

email.png

blank.gif

germany-getty.jpg

Sigmar Gabriel Getty Images

Germany's vice-chancellor has publicly accused Saudi Arabia of financing terrorists in the West.

Sigmar Gabriel claimed the country was funding mosques linked to extremism, which he said were becoming a threat to public security.

READ MORE
German spies say Saudi Arabia is 'destablising the Middle East'

In an interview with German newspaper, Bild am Sonntag, Mr Gabriel said: “We have to make clear to the Saudis that the time of looking away is over.

“Wahhabi mosques all over the world are financed by Saudi Arabia.

“Many Islamists who are a threat to public safety come from these communities in Germany.”

How tiny Belgium became an extremist hotbed
Kalyeena Makortoff | @kalyeena
Tuesday, 17 Nov 2015 | 9:19 AM ETCNBC.com

Investigations into Friday's deadly attacks in Paris have focused attention on Belgium, a small European country that is now emerging as a breeding ground for Islamic extremism.

At least three of the men now linked to the Paris attacks have been identified as citizens or former residents of Belgium, including 27-year-old Islamic state fighter Abdelhamid Abaaoud who is believed to have coordinated and ordered the attacks from Syria.

103175251-belgium.530x298.jpg

Xinhua | Ye Pingfan | Getty Images
Belgian police take part in an operation at district of Molenbeek in Brussels, Belgium, on Nov. 16, 2015.
That's alongside Brahim Abdeslam who the French judiciary said blew himself up at the Comptoir Voltaire cafe, and his brother, Salah Abdeslam who is still at large, and now the target of an international manhunt.
more
How tiny Belgium became an extremist hotbed

How Saudi Wahhabism Is the Fountainhead of Islamist Terrorism

Dr. Yousaf Butt is a senior advisor to the British American Security Information Council and director at the Cultural Intelligence Institute. The views expressed here are his own.

LONDON -- The horrific terrorist attacks on the Charlie Hebdo weekly in Paris have led to speculation as to whether the killers -- the brothers Chérif and Saïd Kouachi -- were lone wolves or tied to masterminds in ISIS or its rival, Al-Qaeda. Although Al-Qaeda in Yemen has taken credit for the attack, it is unclear how closely the affiliate actually directed the operation. No matter which organizational connections (if any) ultimately prove to be real, one thing is clear: the fountainhead of Islamic extremismthat promotes and legitimizes such violence lies with the fanatical "Wahhabi" strain of Islam centered in Saudi Arabia. And if the world wants to tamp down and eliminate such violent extremism, it must confront this primary host and facilitator.

Perversely, while the Saudi Ambassador to Lebanon Ali Awad Asiri took part in a "Je suis Charlie" solidarity rally in Beirut following the Paris attacks, back home the Saudiblogger Raif Badawi received the first 50 of 1,000 lashes he is due each Friday over the next 20 weeks. His crime? Running a liberal website promoting the freedom of speech. (Thankfully, in recent days it seems the Saudi authorities have buckled to international pressure and suspended the sentence.)
more

How Saudi Wahhabism Is the Fountainhead of Islamist Terrorism

It's about time we started really laying it on the line over SA. Throw in Qatar and Turkey.

Geeze louise we all know who the bad actors are in the ME but for some reason our politicians are beholden to these maniacs.

Although IS is certainly an Islamic movement, it is neither typical nor mired in the distant past, because its roots are in Wahhabism, a form of Islam practised in Saudi Arabia that developed only in the 18th century.
BY KAREN ARMSTRONG

As the so-called Islamic State demolishes nation states set up by the Europeans almost a century ago, IS’s obscene savagery seems to epitomise the violence that many believe to be inherent in religion in general and Islam in particular. It also suggests that the neoconservative ideology that inspired the Iraq war was delusory, since it assumed that the liberal nation state was an inevitable outcome of modernity and that, once Saddam’s dictatorship had gone, Iraq could not fail to become a western-style democracy. Instead, IS, which was born in the Iraq war and is intent on restoring the premodern autocracy of the caliphate, seems to be reverting to barbarism. On 16 November, the militants released a video showing that they had beheaded a fifth western hostage, the American aid worker Peter Kassig, as well as several captured Syrian soldiers. Some will see the group’s ferocious irredentism as proof of Islam’s chronic inability to embrace modern values.

more: Wahhabism to ISIS: how Saudi Arabia exported the main source of global terrorism

Every time I hear a Rubio or a McCain mouthing off about Iran as "the main exporter of terrorism world wide" I want to bazooka barf.

Now I'm not giving Iran a pass here but I believe in many ways they've been forced into their corner for survival.

Now I've got a mega hangover guys so help me out here if you think I'm wrong . Sorries. Last night finding out Bowie had packed it in I got drunk as a skunk and needless to say I'm not on the top of my game.

Well ok. I'm drooling on myself.

:)

But here's what's pissing me off. And let me start off by saying this is a bipartisan rant because I'm throwing in all our western leaders here.

Arab spring was bullshit. We all know that now. It was designed to turn all the ME states over to the Muslim Brotherhood. Wahhabism to rule their world so to speak.

Gotta give SA creds they even got my former PM to go along with taking out Mubarak and Gaddafi. And by the way didn't anyone on our side of the pond think for one minute gee if we take out Muammar and he's got all this shit aka weapons laying around couldn't they fall into the wrong hands?

Didn't anyone think "whoopsies"?

Anyhoo right underneath all our noses we've been witnessing the debacles in Syria and the Ukraine. Blatant overthrows. Financed by the west and a few well oiled states pardon the pun.

They unleashed ISIS on the world. Our stupid freaking leaders with the bad actors in the ME have given us Freddy Kruger goes ISLAM.

BY KAREN ARMSTRONG

Iran was sponsoring terrorism long before ISIS. Saudi was in support to some extent of the free syrian army. ISIS is an abomination of Islam, to both sunni and shiite. Assad opened the door to ISIS and till the end of last year were coordinating against the syrians but trying to avoid attacking each other.

Blame Assad first for ISIS’ rise
The History Of ISIS That Assad Hopes Everyone Has Forgotten
Assad behind ISIS attacks in Iraq, says President Erdoğan
Jarba insists Iran behind rise of ISIS
http://www.newsweek.com/how-syrias-assad-helped-forge-isis-255631

Forum List

Back