Voter Suppression by Republican State Legislature in Pennsylvania

The Republican dominated Pennsylvania legislature has enacted a law requiring voters to show a valid driver's license before they will be permitted to vote. Guess who this affects most in the two major, Pennsylvanisa cities.

Pennsylvania's strict voter ID law faces ACLU lawsuit - latimes.com

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are predominately Democratic cities. "If the election were held today, we would have more than 100,000 of our voters who could not vote," said Stephanie Singer, chairwoman of Philadelphia's elections commission. "It's a cynical attempt by the Republican leadership to steal the election. And absolutely it could sway the outcome."

The ACLU is challenging this law - and rightly so.

Illegal's, dead people, and multiple voting by individuals equates to voter suppression? Why not just be honest, it IS voter suppression of illegally cast Democrat Votes. Cry me a river.

Fairies and Warlocks vote illegally too....But you have no proof that either of those things are happening

Then why do you object?

only thing is....all those other things you mentioned? Aren't protected by the Constitution. Voting however is. There is also the issue of having to pay to vote...Unless it's changed because if this ruling, it costs 13.50 for a non driver's ID card...that amounts to a poll tax...which is unconstitutional.
dumb ass...

Here is some info not from the LATimes or any other newspaper:

ID Needed for Voting
All voters are required to show a photo ID before voting. All photo IDs must contain an expiration date that is current, unless noted otherwise. Acceptable IDs include:

Pennsylvania driver's license or non-driver's license photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date
Valid U.S. passport
U.S. military ID - active duty and retired military (a military or veteran's ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinate). Military dependents' ID must contain an expiration date
Employee photo ID issued by Federal, PA, County or Municipal government
Photo ID cards from an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning
Photo ID cards issued by a Pennsylvania care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes
If you do not have one of these IDs, you may be entitled to get one free of charge at a PennDOT Driver License Center. To find the Driver License Center nearest you, and learn what identification and residency documentation you will need to get a photo ID visit PennDOT's Voter ID website or call the Department of State's Voter ID Hotline at 1-877-xxx-xxxx.
Vote411.org: Search by State: Pennsylvania

And you may not have the documents required to obtain a state ID.

Then man the fuck up and GET them, everybody else does!

I disagree. The FACT is that there are more potential Democratic voters without ID's than there are potential Republican voters. It that was not the case, you can bet your ass that disingenuous Republican state legislatures would not be going to the trouble of enacting laws such as this.

No. That is NOT the case. Democrats aren't lacking access to ID cards. If they were, THAT would be a separate issue. Think about it... if there actually were groups of people, who by virtue of race or poverty or party affiliation, were denied access to meaningful participation in the economy, we'd be hearing about it. :eek:
In fact, that's ALL we'd be hearing about. These people wouldn't be able to go to the bank, or the doctor, get library cards, access public services... nothing.

This is all about voter fraud and nothing else.

I don't think lack of access is the issue - it is more of a sociological thing. People from the lower walk of life (such as my clients - in case you were not aware, I am a public defender) just don't get (obtain) ID's. They are not as responsible as those who are more fortunate and who have the motivation to get ID's.

My clients - going to a bank (for some reason other than to rob it), going to libraries, accessing public services? Please.

But don't limit it to my clients. In general, people who vote Democratic are more loosely constructed than those who vote Republican, which translartes into we don't have as many ID's per capita as you guys.

You can argue all you want against this fact, but it is a fact that requiring ID's to vote impacts potential Democratic voters more than postential Republican voters. As I said before, if it didn't, Republican legislatures wouldn't be passing such laws. How many Democratically controlled legislatures do you see passing ID's to vote laws, hmmmmm?

So, your argument is that these folks are too lazy to participate meaningfully in the economy but they'll still rouse up the effort to vote? :eusa_eh:

We both know that provisions are made for people who can't pay. We also know that people can't even go to the doctor these days without proving their identity. But let's say, for the sake of argument, that you're completely correct and these people are choosing not to engage the economy. Doesn't it stand to reason that by nudging them toward meaningful participation, we'd be helping to lift them up? :eusa_eh:
There's no reason why voter turnout groups couldn't be driving awareness on the importance of getting an ID while they're out registering voters.

You are the one who says it's Republicans who are trying to steal the elections, despite evidence that a lot of states have passed this by both parties in the state legislature and court evidence that voter registration fraud has occurred.

Actually, it's the L.A. Times and the ACLU and lots of others who are saying it, not me. I don't judge - I just report. ;)

Nonetheless, it does seem fairly obvious what is going on here with regard to the Pennsylvania legislature.

Really dude? Just how thick headed are you? They have plenty of time to get an ID.

dumb ass...

And you may not have the documents required to obtain a state ID.

Then man the fuck up and GET them, everybody else does!

If its so easy for someone without any ID to start with to get an ID proving they are who they say they are - how much harder would it be for someone to get an ID proving they are someone else? If its easy to get a photo ID with no documentation to start with - the voter ID law is useless, isn't it?

You have to prove who you are somehow... That's all that is being asked of them...

Incorrect. They are being asked to provide a particular form of ID - a photo ID.

No, you are wrong... to GET the FREE photo ID that allows them to vote from the DMV they have to prove somehow who they are... There are ways of doing that already posted here...

Why would anyone support the ability to obtain ID without proving you are who you say you are?

I don't think lack of access is the issue - it is more of a sociological thing. People from the lower walk of life (such as my clients - in case you were not aware, I am a public defender) just don't get (obtain) ID's. They are not as responsible as those who are more fortunate and who have the motivation to get ID's.

And whose fault is it that they aren't more responsible?

You can argue all you want against this fact, but it is a fact that requiring ID's to vote impacts potential Democratic voters more than postential Republican voters. As I said before, if it didn't, Republican legislatures wouldn't be passing such laws. How many Democratically controlled legislatures do you see passing ID's to vote laws, hmmmmm?

The law treats every single person in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania exactly the same. The lawsuit has absolutely no leg to stand on. It will be upheld just like it has been in all the other states that have the requirement.

And the ACLU will continue to sue, because that is just 14 kinds of bullshit.

Equal treatment of everyone under the law is 14 kinds of bullshit? I thought equality is what you people are always pissing your pants over.

You have to prove who you are somehow... That's all that is being asked of them...

Incorrect. They are being asked to provide a particular form of ID - a photo ID.

No, you are wrong... to GET the FREE photo ID that allows them to vote from the DMV they have to prove somehow who they are... There are ways of doing that already posted here...

Why would anyone support the ability to obtain ID without proving you are who you say you are?

Why shouldn't they simply be able to use whatever documents that would prove their ID to the DMV to prove they are legal voters?

If I can get a state ID with my birth certificate, a social security card, and a utility bill with my name on it (which in my state I can) - why shouldn't those three documents be sufficient to prove my identity to poll workers? How does the DMV looking at those three documents and snapping my picture make me any more or less the person that the documents say I am? Magic?
Then you're just creating an extra hoop for me to jump through - taking those three non-picture ID's and having my picture taken doesn't change anything.

Last edited:
So, in order to believe the outrage from the left over this I have to accept certain things as facts:

1. GOP voters aren't poor.
2. A free ID costs too much.
3. Any time a legally eligable person is told he/she can't vote, it's a Democrat.
4. Drivers licenses are the only acceptable form of ID.
5. 100,000 people in PA have no ID at all.
6. Thoses 100,000 people are all Democrats.
7. there's no way for those people to get an ID in the next 3.5 months.

Last edited:
So, in order to believe the outrage from the left over this I have to accept certain things as facts:

1. GOP voters aren't poor.
2. A free ID costs too much.
3. Any time a legally eligable person is told he/she can't vote, it's a Democrat.
4. Drivers licenses are the only acceptable form of ID.
5. 100,000 people in PA have no ID at all.
6. Thoses 100,000 people are all Democrats.

Uhh, wrong. So long as more Democrats than Republicans become disenfranchised, the benefit is to the Republicans. It doesn't have to be all or none. You're a moron, you know?

And we know that Republicans believe more Democrats than Republicans will be disenfranchised by this law, Turzai pretty much said so.

New laws in 10 states requiring voters to show IDs could present serious challenges to voters without financial resources and transportation, according to a report released Wednesday.

The study by the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law, which opposes the new laws, found several obstacles that could keep voters from being able to cast ballots, including limited access to offices that issue the IDs required under the new measures.

Study finds costs associated with voter IDs - The Washington Post

So, voter ID laws cause people to lose their transportation?

You are beyond your usual level of idiocy today.

Incorrect. They are being asked to provide a particular form of ID - a photo ID. In my state, you must also prove who you are, but you do not necessarily need photo ID. A copy of a bill in your name at your registered address together with swearing an affadavit is enough to vote. Republicans, in many state, are choosing to demand stricter forms of ID for the very simple reason that Democrats are less likely to have these forms of ID. Majority leader Turzai in Pennsylvania has more or less admitted this.

More or less. :lmao:

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done."

Because he knows as we all do, that Democrats cheat on elections. It's not rocket surgery.

Why shouldn't they simply be able to use whatever documents that would prove their ID to the DMV to prove they are legal voters?

If I can get a state ID with my birth certificate, a social security card, and a utility bill with my name on it (which in my state I can) - why shouldn't those three documents be sufficient to prove my identity to poll workers? How does the DMV looking at those three documents and snapping my picture make me any more or less the person that the documents say I am? Magic? Then you're just creating an extra hoop for me to jump through - taking those three non-picture ID's and having my picture taken doesn't change anything.

So because your state is more open to fraud, every state should be equally open to fraud?

And you wonder why we laugh at you...

Incorrect. They are being asked to provide a particular form of ID - a photo ID. In my state, you must also prove who you are, but you do not necessarily need photo ID. A copy of a bill in your name at your registered address together with swearing an affadavit is enough to vote. Republicans, in many state, are choosing to demand stricter forms of ID for the very simple reason that Democrats are less likely to have these forms of ID. Majority leader Turzai in Pennsylvania has more or less admitted this.

More or less. :lmao:

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done."

Because he knows as we all do, that Democrats cheat on elections. It's not rocket surgery.

In the last election, how many Democrats were convicted in Pennsylvania of cheating in a manner which would have prevented by a photo ID law? How many were charged?

4? 1? 12?

Can you even name one?

Forum List

Back