Voter Suppression by Republican State Legislature in Pennsylvania

But of course the election isn't today. Therefore residents have 3.5 months to get an ID. Something most Americans posses from the age of 15 or 16

There are different documents to prove a person's ID. Get on an airplane...no problem, no complaints. Buying a house, no problem, no complaints. Driving, no problem, no complaints. Getting food stamps....no problem, no complaints. Getting Welfare checks....no problem, no complaints.
Getting to be able to vote...OMG! FOUL!!! You can't do that! Suppression of votes!!! Republicans are evil!!!! Conservatives Hate America!!!!

Just more election year BS. Very transparent.

only thing is....all those other things you mentioned? Aren't protected by the Constitution. Voting however is. There is also the issue of having to pay to vote...Unless it's changed because if this ruling, it costs 13.50 for a non driver's ID card...that amounts to a poll tax...which is unconstitutional.
dumb ass...

Here is some info not from the LATimes or any other newspaper:

ID Needed for Voting
All voters are required to show a photo ID before voting. All photo IDs must contain an expiration date that is current, unless noted otherwise. Acceptable IDs include:

Pennsylvania driver's license or non-driver's license photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date
Valid U.S. passport
U.S. military ID - active duty and retired military (a military or veteran's ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinate). Military dependents' ID must contain an expiration date
Employee photo ID issued by Federal, PA, County or Municipal government
Photo ID cards from an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning
Photo ID cards issued by a Pennsylvania care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes
If you do not have one of these IDs, you may be entitled to get one free of charge at a PennDOT Driver License Center. To find the Driver License Center nearest you, and learn what identification and residency documentation you will need to get a photo ID visit PennDOT's Voter ID website or call the Department of State's Voter ID Hotline at 1-877-xxx-xxxx.
Vote411.org: Search by State: Pennsylvania

There are different documents to prove a person's ID. Get on an airplane...no problem, no complaints. Buying a house, no problem, no complaints. Driving, no problem, no complaints. Getting food stamps....no problem, no complaints. Getting Welfare checks....no problem, no complaints.
Getting to be able to vote...OMG! FOUL!!! You can't do that! Suppression of votes!!! Republicans are evil!!!! Conservatives Hate America!!!!

Just more election year BS. Very transparent.

only thing is....all those other things you mentioned? Aren't protected by the Constitution. Voting however is. There is also the issue of having to pay to vote...Unless it's changed because if this ruling, it costs 13.50 for a non driver's ID card...that amounts to a poll tax...which is unconstitutional.
dumb ass...

ID Needed for Voting
All voters are required to show a photo ID before voting. All photo IDs must contain an expiration date that is current, unless noted otherwise. Acceptable IDs include:

Pennsylvania driver's license or non-driver's license photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date
Valid U.S. passport
U.S. military ID - active duty and retired military (a military or veteran's ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinate). Military dependents' ID must contain an expiration date
Photo ID cards from an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning
Photo ID cards issued by a Pennsylvania care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes
If you do not have one of these IDs, you may be entitled to get one free of charge at a PennDOT Driver License Center. To find the Driver License Center nearest you, and learn what identification and residency documentation you will need to get a photo ID visit PennDOT's Voter ID website or call the Department of State's Voter ID Hotline at 1-877-xxx-xxxx.

And you may not have the documents required to obtain a state ID.

The only reason somebody would object to Voter ID laws is because they want to cheat. And I'll tell you why....

Because there's no way to participate meaningfully in the economy without identification. What that means is that if we had bunches of people, denied meaningful participation in the economy based on race or poverty, there would be HUGE protests going on over THAT issue. But we don't see politicians beating their chests and community organizers marching in the streets over the denial of IDs to the poor and to minorities. And we don't see it... because it's NOT happening.

I disagree. The FACT is that there are more potential Democratic voters without ID's than there are potential Republican voters. It that was not the case, you can bet your ass that disingenuous Republican state legislatures would not be going to the trouble of enacting laws such as this.

No. That is NOT the case. Democrats aren't lacking access to ID cards. If they were, THAT would be a separate issue. Think about it... if there actually were groups of people, who by virtue of race or poverty or party affiliation, were denied access to meaningful participation in the economy, we'd be hearing about it. :eek:
In fact, that's ALL we'd be hearing about. These people wouldn't be able to go to the bank, or the doctor, get library cards, access public services... nothing.

This is all about voter fraud and nothing else.

I don't think lack of access is the issue - it is more of a sociological thing. People from the lower walk of life (such as my clients - in case you were not aware, I am a public defender) just don't get (obtain) ID's. They are not as responsible as those who are more fortunate and who have the motivation to get ID's.

My clients - going to a bank (for some reason other than to rob it), going to libraries, accessing public services? Please.

But don't limit it to my clients. In general, people who vote Democratic are more loosely constructed than those who vote Republican, which translartes into we don't have as many ID's per capita as you guys.

You can argue all you want against this fact, but it is a fact that requiring ID's to vote impacts potential Democratic voters more than postential Republican voters. As I said before, if it didn't, Republican legislatures wouldn't be passing such laws. How many Democratically controlled legislatures do you see passing ID's to vote laws, hmmmmm?

Last edited:
dumb ass...

ID Needed for Voting

Valid U.S. passport

And you may not have the documents required to obtain a state ID.

You have to prove who you are somehow... That's all that is being asked of them...

New laws in 10 states requiring voters to show IDs could present serious challenges to voters without financial resources and transportation, according to a report released Wednesday.

The study by the Brennan Center for Justice at the New York University School of Law, which opposes the new laws, found several obstacles that could keep voters from being able to cast ballots, including limited access to offices that issue the IDs required under the new measures.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/polit.../17/gJQAlrcXsW_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines

This is a red herring designed to distract from the real issue- Obama's failed economic policies.

I have no compassion for people that do not have ID. I don't know anyone that doesn't have ID. I doubt anyone here knows anyone that doesn't either.....non-issue.

I know lots of people who don't have ID's. They are most of my clients. They live in a segment of society that most Republicans know very little about. Those of them that do vote, do not vote Republican, I can guarantee that.

Requiring ID's to vote suppresses Democratic votes for the very reason that is confirmed by your post here.

Sorry George. No ID. No Vote. Requiring voters to prove "they are who they say they are" is not voter suppression. It's common sense. Try cashing a check, or visiting Saint Obama at the White House without an ID...Just tell the secret service your name.... think they'll let you in? :lol:

I have ZERO compassion or empathy for fools that cannot prove their identity.

Voter ID is Common Sense 101.

Hell. You need ID for eveything else and it should be manditory to vote.

Of course the Dems don't like it. Common Sense isn't part of their forte.

it is more of a sociological thing. People from the lower walk of life (such as my clients - in case you were not aware, I am a public defender) just don't get (obtain) ID's. They are not as responsible as those who are more fortunate and who have the motivation to get ID's.

My clients - going to a bank (for some reason other than to rob it), going to libraries, accessing public services? Please.

But don't limit it to my clients. In general, people who vote Democratic are more loosely constructed than those who vote Republican, which translartes into we don't have as many ID's per capita as you guys.

You can argue all you want against this fact, but it is a fact that requiring ID's to vote impacts potential Democratic voters more than postential Republican voters.

So basically, you're explaining why it should be ok for someone not to take care of themselves.

You have to prove who you are somehow... That's all that is being asked of them...

Incorrect. They are being asked to provide a particular form of ID - a photo ID. In my state, you must also prove who you are, but you do not necessarily need photo ID. A copy of a bill in your name at your registered address together with swearing an affadavit is enough to vote. Republicans, in many state, are choosing to demand stricter forms of ID for the very simple reason that Democrats are less likely to have these forms of ID. Majority leader Turzai in Pennsylvania has more or less admitted this.

Incorrect. They are being asked to provide a particular form of ID - a photo ID. In my state, you must also prove who you are, but you do not necessarily need photo ID. A copy of a bill in your name at your registered address together with swearing an affadavit is enough to vote. Republicans, in many state, are choosing to demand stricter forms of ID for the very simple reason that Democrats are less likely to have these forms of ID. Majority leader Turzai in Pennsylvania has more or less admitted this.

More or less. :lmao:

"Voter ID, which is gonna allow Governor Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania, done."

I disagree. The FACT is that there are more potential Democratic voters without ID's than there are potential Republican voters. It that was not the case, you can bet your ass that disingenuous Republican state legislatures would not be going to the trouble of enacting laws such as this.

No. That is NOT the case. Democrats aren't lacking access to ID cards. If they were, THAT would be a separate issue. Think about it... if there actually were groups of people, who by virtue of race or poverty or party affiliation, were denied access to meaningful participation in the economy, we'd be hearing about it. :eek:
In fact, that's ALL we'd be hearing about. These people wouldn't be able to go to the bank, or the doctor, get library cards, access public services... nothing.

This is all about voter fraud and nothing else.

I don't think lack of access is the issue - it is more of a sociological thing. People from the lower walk of life (such as my clients - in case you were not aware, I am a public defender) just don't get (obtain) ID's. They are not as responsible as those who are more fortunate and who have the motivation to get ID's.

You can argue all you want against this fact, but it is a fact that requiring ID's to vote impacts potential Democratic voters more than postential Republican voters. As I said before, if it didn't, Republican legislatures wouldn't be passing such laws. How many Democratically controlled legislatures do you see passing ID's to vote laws, hmmmmm?

Do you mind if I quote you, George?
"They are not as responsible..."
"going to a bank (for some reason other than to rob it)..."
"more loosely constructed..."

In other words, they aren't responsible enough to participate in our system of government.

Sounds like a PERSONAL problem to me...

Forum List

Back