Voter ID will allow Romney to win PA

It would be nice to see state officals who are pushing for ID laws to also start a push to help people who don't have valid ID, get it.

No. I posted something after perhaps you did.

Move ahead to 2016. Four years to see that all eligible voters have I.D.

If it's provided at taxpayer's expense how does it supppress the poor? Once you have it..you have it.

If you don't bring it on Election day, then yes, too bad..you don't vote. Go home and get it.

I'm trying to keep this debate real simple.

It's not once you have it you have it, as IDs expire, people change address, get married, change their name, etc.

However I think giving ample time, ie enacting laws now that will effect the 2016 election, would be more fair. I also think we need vote reform, and that most of the real fraud isn't effected by voter ID and that that's where our focus needs to be.

It's a first, you and I agree. As I said on another thread, minds greater than mine can work out the mechanics.

It doesn't seem unreasonable for all voters to have I.D. by the next cycle.

If you move, divorce, change address etc., and there is a system in place to deal with it and you don't avail yourself to it....too bad.... you don't get to vote until you correct it.

Seems simple!

Just issue a Voter Registration Card that has a picture on it. If you want a VRC, you have to get your picture taken; that would eliminate all this mess.

Obama will win PA handily.

If it's provided at taxpayer's expense how does it supppress the poor? Once you have it..you have it.

If you don't bring it on Election day, then yes, too bad..you don't vote. Go home and get it.

It's not once you have it you have it, as IDs expire, people change address, get married, change their name, etc.

However I think giving ample time, ie enacting laws now that will effect the 2016 election, would be more fair. I also think we need vote reform, and that most of the real fraud isn't effected by voter ID and that that's where our focus needs to be.

It's a first, you and I agree. As I said on another thread, minds greater than mine can work out the mechanics.

It doesn't seem unreasonable for all voters to have I.D. by the next cycle.

If you move, divorce, change address etc., and there is a system in place to deal with it and you don't avail yourself to it....too bad.... you don't get to vote until you correct it.

Seems simple!
I agree.

I think setting up a system to provide free IDs, and anything that goes along with receiving it, and giving people ample time to comply with new laws, is reasonable.

Voter suppression is a strategy to influence the outcome of an election by discouraging or preventing people from exercising their right to vote.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voter_suppression

Is see a crowd of people here loving the fact that millions American citizens who are eligible to vote will become disenfranchised.

And for what?

Policy Brief on the Truth About “Voter Fraud”

Summary

* Fraud by individual voters is both irrational and extremely rare.
* Many vivid anecdotes of purported voter fraud have been proven false or do not demonstrate fraud.
* Voter fraud is often conflated with other forms of election misconduct.
* Raising the unsubstantiated specter of mass voter fraud suits a particular policy agenda.
* Claims of voter fraud should be carefully tested before they become the basis for action.

Fraud by individual voters is both irrational and extremely rare. Most citizens who take the time to vote offer their legitimate signatures and sworn oaths with the gravitas that this hard-won civic right deserves. Even for the few who view voting merely as a means to an end, however, voter fraud is a singularly foolish way to attempt to win an election. Each act of voter fraud risks five years in prison and a $10,000 fine - but yields at most one incremental vote. The single vote is simply not worth the price.

Because voter fraud is essentially irrational, it is not surprising that no credible evidence suggests a voter fraud epidemic. There is no documented wave or trend of individuals voting multiple times, voting as someone else, or voting despite knowing that they are ineligible. Indeed, evidence from the microscopically scrutinized 2004 gubernatorial election in Washington State actually reveals just the opposite: though voter fraud does happen, it happens approximately 0.0009% of the time. The similarly closely-analyzed 2004 election in Ohio revealed a voter fraud rate of 0.00004%. National Weather Service data shows that Americans are struck and killed by lightning about as often.For more: Policy Brief on the Truth About “Voter Fraud” | Brennan Center for Justice

Yep, just as long as your party wins that's all that counts, so what if your party is stepping all over "one man/woman, one vote"! It doesn't matter to you folks that this approach is un-American and I'm positive our Founding Fathers are rolling over in their graves. And how about all those who have died for our country (including my brother) to preserve our way of life and our democratic process?
Again we have a perfect example of loving your party more than America and what America stands for.

Last edited:
I still don't get the suppression part. Even if fraud is miniscule, what's the issue with producing I.D.? This nonsense about being too poor is just that...nonsense.

What's the argument if the I.D. is provided free of cost to all? Once you have it issued to you...you have it!

We piss away enough money on other things in this country. So there is a cost involved. Taxpayer money sure as hell is wasted on less noteworthy things.

It would be nice to see state officals who are pushing for ID laws to also start a push to help people who don't have valid ID, get it.

It is not about helping.. it is about the freedom to do it for yourself... government is not there, and should not be charged with holding your hand thru the action... you have the freedom to do it, just as you have the freedom to sit on your ass and not go do it

I still don't get the suppression part. Even if fraud is miniscule, what's the issue with producing I.D.? This nonsense about being too poor is just that...nonsense.

What's the argument if the I.D. is provided free of cost to all? Once you have it issued to you...you have it!

We piss away enough money on other things in this country. So there is a cost involved. Taxpayer money sure as hell is wasted on less noteworthy things.

It is not about helping.. it is about the freedom to do it for yourself... government is not there, and should not be charged with holding your hand thru the action... you have the freedom to do it, just as you have the freedom to sit on your ass and not go do it

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poll_tax_(United_States)

It was only a $1, less then $20 today.

I'm certainly open to that. Unfortunately, that isn't what's happening here.

I know but I see some that are so vehemently against it, crying racism and all sorts of B.S. Some justify being against it on the grounds that fraud is miniscule.

The mechanics can be worked out by minds greater than mine but I'd like someone to explain how it suppresses the poor if it's in place for the next election cycle.

If the issue is just this election then I agree. Too late and Romney will have to take his chances.

Those people who are against it no matter what safeguards are put in place to ensure that people aren't disenfranchised are nothing more than the other side of the extremist coin of people who think that millions and millions of fraudulent votes are occurring and that they're the only possible way that Democrats win elections.

Both sides are idiots.

Great, so when you can legitimate votes, republicans, win.....what a concept!
I mean it is way too hard to get an ID, you have to leave your home, such a sacrifice!

I really hope that's what he meant, but if so, at the same time he's implying PA has so much fraud it can sway an election. PA must be really incompetent.

It's already been factually stated that voter fraud is nearly non-existent. The only purpose that these voter ID laws have is to stop poor people from voting. It would be interesting to see what happens if Romney and the Republicans win due to a large number of voters not being permitted to vote in some of these close states. 2016 could become the ugliest election of all time in this country.

Great, so when you can legitimate votes, republicans, win.....what a concept!
I mean it is way too hard to get an ID, you have to leave your home, such a sacrifice!

I really hope that's what he meant, but if so, at the same time he's implying PA has so much fraud it can sway an election. PA must be really incompetent.

It's already been factually stated that voter fraud is nearly non-existent. The only purpose that these voter ID laws have is to stop poor people from voting. It would be interesting to see what happens if Romney and the Republicans win due to a large number of voters not being permitted to vote in some of these close states. 2016 could become the ugliest election of all time in this country.

It's frightening that people who believe that bullshit are wandering to and fro in this nation.
How could ANYONE be against states exercising their responsibility to provide fair and accurate elections?
The obvious flip side of ensuring only eligible voters cast votes being a racist effort or an attempt to silence those the left believes they literally own is dependence on the poor being paid in food and smokes for multiple votes, votes from the legally dead and even cartoon characters in order to keep certain domestic threats in office.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back