Voter ID Compromise

I agree having some valid ID is sensible, regardless of whether voter fraud is an actual problem. But if state-issued ID do indeed present some with an unfair burden aqquiring them, why not use any legally recognized contract as proof of identity? Like the rental contract even poor people would have signed renting their apartments, or a sworn affidavit under pains and penalties or perjury, or some other legal document? Why wouldn't those qualify as 'valid ID?' Presumedly whoever rents to you was presented with some kind of satisfactory ID before you moved in, so why couldn't whatever proof was presented be used, or the rental contract itself?

you just proved that the liberal stance against voter id is invalid.

on a side note; requiring voter id is racist, you need an id to use ahca ins, therefore obama is a racist

I agree having some valid ID is sensible, regardless of whether voter fraud is an actual problem. But if state-issued ID do indeed present some with an unfair burden aqquiring them, why not use any legally recognized contract as proof of identity? Like the rental contract even poor people would have signed renting their apartments, or a sworn affidavit under pains and penalties or perjury, or some other legal document? Why wouldn't those qualify as 'valid ID?' Presumedly whoever rents to you was presented with some kind of satisfactory ID before you moved in, so why couldn't whatever proof was presented be used, or the rental contract itself?

Why do some people insist that getting a valid ID is an unfair burden?

Way I heard it explained is that since most state-issued IDs are obtained from DMVs, there are usually few such offices in a state so a person might have to travel quite a ways to visit one. And if they don't have a car it can present quite a challenge to get to it.

:lol:

you don't really believe what you just typed do you?

there's multiple dmv's in every city, and if you live in the boonies, and don't have a car :lol:

In essence what conservatives are saying is that you must have a driver's license or passport to vote.

How about all the people that do not drive and aren't planning on leaving the country anytime soon?

Any state that requires a picture ID must implement a program whereby people can very easily obtain such an ID. Anything else is the denial of people's right to vote.

Why do some people insist that getting a valid ID is an unfair burden?

It's not under 2 conditions.

You don't have to register.
And it's completely free and available to everyone.

Simple.

on a side note; requiring voter id is racist, you need an id to use ahca ins, therefore obama is a racist

Nope. The ID validation for ACA checks your credit report and/or your tax returns.

I just went thru this when getting an ACA plan for my mother-in-law.

In essence what conservatives are saying is that you must have a driver's license or passport to vote.

How about all the people that do not drive and aren't planning on leaving the country anytime soon?

Any state that requires a picture ID must implement a program whereby people can very easily obtain such an ID. Anything else is the denial of people's right to vote.

that's a lie

please find the costs of ids and prove they are to expensive beyond any shadow of a doubt

Nope. The ID validation for ACA checks your credit report and/or your tax returns.

I just went thru this when getting an ACA plan for my mother-in-law.

Is her aca id in the mail or is the hospital just going to take her word for it?

1. Nope, just a photo ID.

2. How many people don't have or can't obtain a photo ID? Do you know anyone like that?

3. Compare that to the potential for voter fraud, which is in the millions.

4. Why aren't you protesting voter ID laws in other countries?

Let's just do away with absentee and early voting, with the only allowances being to people overseas on government business (e.g. military and diplomats and their families). Everyone else shows up at their polling place, gets the purple indelible ink on a finger treatment, and votes.

Anyone trying to vote a second time loses a finger right then and there.

Anyone engaging in voter fraud gets life at hard labor with no parole. This applies from the little old ladies manning the voter stations to the Secretary of State to the counters. If a clear chain of custody of ballots can't be found, then those ballots can't be used (no more boxes of uncounted ballots found in a car trunk.

2. How many people don't have or can't obtain a photo ID? Do you know anyone like that?

1. As far as I know the only state issued photo IDs are drivers licenses and passports. I'm sure that there are some others but each would probably have a requirement more stringent than those. What other forms of state issued voter IDs are there? What type of identification do you need to get them? What are the requirements? What do they cost?

2. I went for years, when I was in my twenties, without any form of state issued photo ID. I might have had a library card or school ID but nothing that would qualify. Lot's of people don't have state issued photo IDs.

3. 'Potential for Voter Fraud' - are you joking? There have been almost no cases of voter fraud - and certainly not any evidence of millions of cases. This is nothing but wingnut nonsense. Denying millions of Americans the right to vote because of Conservative paranoid delusions is nonsense.

4. No, I work for a living. Sorry, but I can't just run around the world playing election police. Besides we have enough corruption and either nonsense going on in this country - thanks to people like you.

"To be eligible to register to vote in Texas, a person must be:
•A United States citizen;
•A resident of the Texas county in which application for registration is made;
•At least 18 years old on Election Day;
•Not finally convicted of a felony, or, if so convicted must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court; or (2) been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote; and
•Not determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (1) totally mentally incapacitated; or (2) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.

Accepted IDs;

•Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
•Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
•Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
•Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
•United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
•United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
•United States passport
Texas Voting

The Election ID card is free of charge.

How is any of this a problem? So you need to prove you live in the County you are voting in, and that you are a US citizen. So what?

It's a hoot when people claim that there is no voter fraud that would be prevented requiring a picture ID. Now these people may very well be right. But how is anyone go know until you start checking picture IDs? If you are simply using the honor system, well of course there is no voter fraud (wink,wink).

Last edited:

1. As far as I know the only state issued photo IDs are drivers licenses and passports. I'm sure that there are some others but each would probably have a requirement more stringent than those. What other forms of state issued voter IDs are there? What type of identification do you need to get them? What are the requirements? What do they cost?

2. I went for years, when I was in my twenties, without any form of state issued photo ID. I might have had a library card or school ID but nothing that would qualify. Lot's of people don't have state issued photo IDs.

3. 'Potential for Voter Fraud' - are you joking? There have been almost no cases of voter fraud - and certainly not any evidence of millions of cases. This is nothing but wingnut nonsense. Denying millions of Americans the right to vote because of Conservative paranoid delusions is nonsense.

4. No, I work for a living. Sorry, but I can't just run around the world playing election police. Besides we have enough corruption and either nonsense going on in this country - thanks to people like you.

Your no. 3 states that millions of American will be denied the right to vote........millions...and you use the phrase "wingnut nonsense".

Last edited:
A federal law decreeing that all Voter Registration Cards bear the registrant's photograph would solve this problem.

liberals would never go for that

I don't think they would. But I do think whenever you say the words "Federal law decreeing that all...." conservatives are usually the ones that come out swinging.

I would also strongly suggest that the Federal Government supply 100% of all voting machines so there is no difference in the software, the ballot formats, how to remedy problems, etc...

As you likely know, I'm pretty liberal but I can never quite understand the liberal phobic reaction to wanting as sterile a voting process as we can field? I'm of the firm opinion that most "fraud" is just negligence;

you go to the wrong polling place,

you hear about the election on TV but live in the incorporated suburbs and work in the city where the election is taking place so you are not sure if you are to vote or not (there are sometimes state or county issues on the ballot)

or the poll workers mark you off as having voted because your name is Jane Doe and there are 4 Jane Does on their rolls. I had my AAA membership cancelled the other day because someone sharing my name cancelled theirs.

Anything that will help give us the most sterile process possible is fine by me. I think elections should last for an entire week or so. If there are any problems, they can be addressed while the election is still going on. We have 330,000,000+ people in this nation and we have shameful numbers voting. This would engender greater participation; allow people working multiple jobs or who are traveling a better chance to cast a ballot. People who are sick on the one magic day we cast ballots can wait until they are less infirmed. \

Anyway, just my opinioin.

"To be eligible to register to vote in Texas, a person must be:
•A United States citizen;
•A resident of the Texas county in which application for registration is made;
•At least 18 years old on Election Day;
•Not finally convicted of a felony, or, if so convicted must have (1) fully discharged the sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, or supervision, or completed a period of probation ordered by any court; or (2) been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disability to vote; and
•Not determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be (1) totally mentally incapacitated; or (2) partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote.

Accepted IDs;

•Texas driver license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS)
•Texas Election Identification Certificate issued by DPS
•Texas personal identification card issued by DPS
•Texas concealed handgun license issued by DPS
•United States military identification card containing the person’s photograph
•United States citizenship certificate containing the person’s photograph
•United States passport
Texas Voting

The Election ID card is free of charge.

How is any of this a problem? So you need to prove you live in the County you are voting in, and that you are a US citizen. So what?

That they allow CHL but not Student ID's is not surprising....it's Texas.

Forum List

Back