Voter ID Compromise

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
I agree having some valid ID is sensible, regardless of whether voter fraud is an actual problem. But if state-issued ID do indeed present some with an unfair burden aqquiring them, why not use any legally recognized contract as proof of identity? Like the rental contract even poor people would have signed renting their apartments, or a sworn affidavit under pains and penalties or perjury, or some other legal document? Why wouldn't those qualify as 'valid ID?' Presumedly whoever rents to you was presented with some kind of satisfactory ID before you moved in, so why couldn't whatever proof was presented be used, or the rental contract itself?

I agree having some valid ID is sensible, regardless of whether voter fraud is an actual problem. But if state-issued ID do indeed present some with an unfair burden aqquiring them, why not use any legally recognized contract as proof of identity? Like the rental contract even poor people would have signed renting their apartments, or a sworn affidavit under pains and penalties or perjury, or some other legal document? Why wouldn't those qualify as 'valid ID?' Presumedly whoever rents to you was presented with some kind of satisfactory ID before you moved in, so why couldn't whatever proof was presented be used, or the rental contract itself?

Why do some people insist that getting a valid ID is an unfair burden?

This would be little difference from using a voter's registration card that does not include a photo.

"Papers, please?"

No sir, I don't like it.

Better would be to have postcards sent out to the addresses of registered voters, who would then present them at the polling place to obtain a ballot. Don't have a legit local address, no voter registration.

No same-day registration or any other such silliness.

Problem solved.

"Papers, please?"

No sir, I don't like it.

Better would be to have postcards sent out to the addresses of registered voters, who would then present them at the polling place to obtain a ballot. Don't have a legit local address, no voter registration.

Problem solved.

What's the benefit of this as opposed to allow simple forms be accepted?

"Papers, please?"

No sir, I don't like it.

Problem solved.

And those postcards aren't "Papers"?

"Papers, please?"

No sir, I don't like it.

Problem solved.

The postcard is good for one thing only: Obtaining a ballot.

The argument I hear from the voter ID crowd that I find the most lame is the one about needing an ID get get a hotel room or board a commercial airliner.

I say to hell with that. I want to rent a hotel room or get on an airliner, who I am is nobody's concern.

you want to vote? Register early, have a legit local address and bring your registration card to exchange for the ballot. The ID question goes away.

"Papers, please?"

No sir, I don't like it.

Problem solved.

The argument I hear from the voter ID crowd that I find the most lame is the one about needing an ID get get a hotel room or board a commercial airliner.

I say to hell with that. I want to rent a hotel room or get on an airliner, who I am is nobody's concern.

you want to vote? Register early, have a legit local address and bring your registration card to exchange for the ballot. The ID question goes away.

But the postcard is still a paper. Or is it made of some other material?

A federal law decreeing that all Voter Registration Cards bear the registrant's photograph would solve this problem.

Eric Holder will crap in his pants if that happens.

You're probably right; we live in a society where the best idea doesn't win and it's at the core of what the "problems with America" are. The persons who are most essential to our survival/advancement as a nation are often the least compensated. I have about 1/2 of the last CD left of my book on CD Lone Survivor. Marcus Luttrell probably makes less than I do per year. Yet he's in Afghanistan fighting for our nation and I'm organizing training conferences. We can't pay people like him enough.

They are many jurisdictions that accept such documents as ID, in addition to paycheck stubs, utility bills, and letters or other government documents with the name and address of the voter.

No one objects to requiring ID that does not manifest an undue burden to voting; it’s the requirement of a state-issued photo ID that’s problematic, usually requiring a birth certificate that was not issued to the voter at birth during segregation, or where what was issued at birth was not promulgated and is unacceptable now.

The fact is these voters legally registered to vote 30 or 40 years ago in accordance with their states’ elections laws at the time, and have voted in every election during that time where their voter registration status remain valid. The state cannot disallow these voters from voting now because they can’t acquire state-issued photo ID through no fault of their own. In such cases paycheck stubs or utility bills or the like should be allowed to be used when voting.

See post #12.

"Papers, please?"

No sir, I don't like it.

Problem solved.

Good luck getting on an airplane without a picture ID. Not gonna happen! It is the business of every passenger and crew member on that airplane that you prove you are the person that bought the ticket.

Have you tried to avoid the metal detectors and the pat down at the airport as well?

On edit, register, have a legit address and get an absentee ballot mailed to your address, since you had to prove who you were and where you lived to register. The only problem with using the registration card that I see is if another member of your household used your registration card to vote or if someone stole it.

Last edited:

They are many jurisdictions that accept such documents as ID, in addition to paycheck stubs, utility bills, and letters or other government documents with the name and address of the voter.

No one objects to requiring ID that does not manifest an undue burden to voting; it’s the requirement of a state-issued photo ID that’s problematic, usually requiring a birth certificate that was not issued to the voter at birth during segregation, or where what was issued at birth was not promulgated and is unacceptable now.

The fact is these voters legally registered to vote 30 or 40 years ago in accordance with their states’ elections laws at the time, and have voted in every election during that time where their voter registration status remain valid. The state cannot disallow these voters from voting now because they can’t acquire state-issued photo ID through no fault of their own. In such cases paycheck stubs or utility bills or the like should be allowed to be used when voting.

Show up without a photo ID in most states, a provisional ballot is issued, so no one in your example has a problem.

What I have a hard time understanding is how anyone, unless they are homeless and unemployed, can function in this society without a state issued photo ID.

Way I heard it explained is that since most state-issued IDs are obtained from DMVs, there are usually few such offices in a state so a person might have to travel quite a ways to visit one. And if they don't have a car it can present quite a challenge to get to it.

Why is it that only in America are minorities considered incapable of of obtaining an ID?

Forum List

Back