Vitamin and meal supplement drinks

Conspiracist

Snuggle weather rocks!
Jan 6, 2010
Monkey Island
I have recently began drinking Boost energy drink. Does anyone know if these things really are healthy or are they snake oil products?

"Water, sugar, corn syrup solids "...wait wait wait.

First off, sugar and corn syrup = no no's when it comes to being truly healthy.
This may have a tiny bit of nutritional value, based on a bit of vitamins I see they add, but it's nothing to write home about.

So I wouldn't say it's really all that healthy.
There are some good alternatives if you're looking for a protein type shake. Good, healthy mixes out there that would be better for you than this. :)

This may have a tiny bit of nutritional value, based on a bit of vitamins I see they add, but it's nothing to write home about.

There are some good alternatives if you're looking for a protein type shake. Good, healthy mixes out there that would be better for you than this. :)

Would be nice if you cared to share them :) My son and I would like a meal supplememnt for our mornings cause neither of us eat well at that time and he feels sluggish at school.

There's no substitute for healthy eating during the day, a bit of exercise, and 8 hours of sleep. Easier said than done of course.

There are good nutri-bars available (not cheap) that make a quick and easy breakfast. Slam it down with a glass of O.J. and you're out the door in a jiffy.

Would be nice if you cared to share them :) My son and I would like a meal supplememnt for our mornings cause neither of us eat well at that time and he feels sluggish at school.

just make your own smoothies, buy a bunch of frozen fruit (to preserve the nutrients) and blend them with whey protein, non-fat vanilla yogurt, and some low fat milk

make sure to have bannas and blueberries in whatever smoothie mixture you come up with. even if you don't like blueberries (like me) you don't even taste them once they are mixed in with everything else. Also, a few drops of honey in the smoothie as a sugar replacment

Yes, i hear you. It's hard for me to eat well or eat anything at that time at all on a regular basis.

Someone did mention getting some frozen fruit (sans syrup) and put it in a blender with a little milk and sugar ....or if you want to be even healthier get some stevia. Stevia blends well with milk. And doesn't raise your blood sugar.

Healthy alternatives though...as far as protein shakes are like this :

Natures Plus Spiru Tein Vanilla Protein
Nature's Plus Spiru Tein Whey Chocolate
...etc. They have other flavors in the Nature's Plus line.

(I'm a supporter of Natures Plus. I feel like they're pretty decent health-wise. )

Btw, sorry if I am giving too much info. I am learning, and this is really good for me.
I'm starting school in January to be a Naturopathic Doctor ...so it's one of my passions to try to help:)

Making your own is a lot cheaper and waaaaaaaaaay better for you..and you can make them to suit your individual taste.
Make some ahead of time and put in fridge.
Our son is a swimmer, he takes one to school everyday for after-practice pickup each morning. (yes swim practice is at 6am..before school)

When my wife's father was dying of cancer, he liked to drink a Boost everyday about mid-afternoon. I'm not real sure it helped him too much but he seemed to think it did. He said it gave him a little more energy to get through the rest of the day. I don't think it's really "snake oil" per se but "snake oil" is in the eyes of the beholder...

I have recently began drinking Boost energy drink. Does anyone know if these things really are healthy or are they snake oil products?

Take 20 Lemons, 4 whole garlics, 2 onions and about 100gr almonds.
Mix it with 1-2 Litre water.
You put the mixture into the fridge. After that, you drink every morning 1 glass.

Yes, i hear you. It's hard for me to eat well or eat anything at that time at all on a regular basis.

Someone did mention getting some frozen fruit (sans syrup) and put it in a blender with a little milk and sugar ....or if you want to be even healthier get some stevia. Stevia blends well with milk. And doesn't raise your blood sugar.

(I'm a supporter of Natures Plus. I feel like they're pretty decent health-wise. )

Btw, sorry if I am giving too much info. I am learning, and this is really good for me.
I'm starting school in January to be a Naturopathic Doctor ...so it's one of my passions to try to help:)

use honey instead of sugar

Are you unpoopular? Do you pop out at parties?

Take Vitameatavegamin and you'll feel much better.

lucy.jpg

Last edited:
The human body isn't built to consume a liquid diet, particularly one high in refined glucose. Hence, why we're so prone to Type-2 diabetes...there are multiple mechanisms to protect against glucose deficiencies (starvation), but only one easily-broken mechanism protecting against glucose overdose.

If that single mechanism is broken by liquid glucose shakes, congratulations, you're diabetic!

use honey instead of sugar

Honey is good, too. But the ultimate best is what I mentioned above, stevia.

Forum List

Back