Enabling

L.K.Eder

unbannable non-troll
May 29, 2009
theartching thapphireth
Examples of Enabling

Examples of enabling behaviors include:
  • Making excuses for the addict/alcoholic (calling the alcoholic's boss to say they are sick with the flu, when they are really hung over, or referring to your teenager's drug use as 'just a phase')
  • Paying their bills
  • Bailing them out of jail
  • Making rationalizations for their irresponsible behaviors
  • Ignoring the problems caused by the addict's use ( financial, employment, legal)
  • Cleaning up their messes
  • Accepting their excuses or believing their lies
  • Not discussing the problem of their chemical use
  • Not getting help for yourself
As addicts/alcoholics are rescued from the consequences of their using and drinking, they learn to rely on their enablers to continue their addiction.

Enabling behaviors can be changed, and recovery is possible even if the chemically dependent person does not seek help.

ENABLING ≠ HELPING

When I got my drivers llicense at 16, my mother used to send me down to the liquor store to pick up her weekly gallon bottle of Early Times. She called ahead and explained the "situation" so there was never an issue about the underage purchase.

When I got my drivers llicense at 16, my mother used to send me down to the liquor store to pick up her weekly gallon bottle of Early Times. She called ahead and explained the "situation" so there was never an issue about the underage purchase.

ya know that was a more common that you might realize...i would do it for my grandfather....get this on mo foing horse back....he didnt call ahead..we didnt have phones...

Examples of Enabling

• Making excuses for the addict/alcoholic (calling the alcoholic's boss to say they are sick with the flu, when they are really hung over, or referring to your teenager's drug use as 'just a phase')
  • Paying their bills
  • Ignoring the problems caused by the addict's use ( financial, employment, legal)
As addicts/alcoholics are rescued from the consequences of their using and drinking, they learn to rely on their enablers to continue their addiction.

Enabling behaviors can be changed, and recovery is possible even if the chemically dependent person does not seek help.

ENABLING ≠ HELPING

Thanks Jebus nobody here does that. :eusa_pray:

Examples of Enabling

• Paying their bills

ENABLING ≠ HELPING

I know! That would be really sad.

Examples of Enabling

• Paying their bills

ENABLING ≠ HELPING

I know! That would be really sad.

flavor-flav-flavor-of-love-3-reunio.jpg

it is a serious problem.

how do you walk the rope if you are in the situation.

enabling is clearly not helping.

abandoning probably is also not a wise course of action.

do you let the addict reach rock bottom under observation hoping that hitting said bottom sends off the alarm within the addict?

i am glad i don't have those decisions to make in my life.

it is a serious problem.

how do you walk the rope if you are in the situation.

enabling is clearly not helping.

abandoning probably is also not a wise course of action.

do you let the addict reach rock bottom under observation hoping that hitting said bottom sends off the alarm within the addict?

i am glad i don't have those decisions to make in my life.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do, but let them hit rock bottom.

Forum List

Back